Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A truly fair way to do it (to me) is an hour for hour/day for day trade. How long was your project? Lets say three days or 30 hours (doesnt matter if this is the actual number, its an example). Thats all you owe him, period. Miniseries, wedding, home sex tape, snuff film, doesnt matter. He gave you 30 hours/3 days, thats all you owe.

2. Collapse Details
    Oh okay thanks. That makes sense. My project was about 20 hours and so far I have shot about 12 for him. So I can give him about 8 more maybe then, and I am fine doing another short film documentary for more experience. I can go more hours over what I owe for more experience, it's just if I am doing a miniseries, I want to know how many episodes in advance, and what they are even about, which he has not decided yet, it seems.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    A truly fair way to do it (to me) is an hour for hour/day for day trade. How long was your project? Lets say three days or 30 hours (doesnt matter if this is the actual number, its an example). Thats all you owe him, period. Miniseries, wedding, home sex tape, snuff film, doesnt matter. He gave you 30 hours/3 days, thats all you owe.
    LOL

4. Collapse Details
    Okay thanks. Well I can just tell him that I am happy to help but I need to know how many episodes first before I agree to any more than just one, if that sounds good.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    . Mini series, wedding, home sex tape, snuff film,
    I'm available :-)

6. Collapse Details
    The thing here is the expectation of long term commitment. Agreeing to a few days for a shoot is fine - even if low paid it can be fitted in, but a mini-series? Common sense says that only fools would really commit with the current work situation. No way can you say yes with any kind of honesty and realism to an open ended, long term low paid/favour way of working. You yourself have already mentioned the chaos that happens when somebody runs out of time and has to move on. Surely this producer understands basic production budgeting? I've been happily working on some as and when projects but the clients are FULLY AWARE that they will come second to any normal fee work that comes in, and my clients understand when Wednesday gets cancelled Tuesday afternoon because real bill paying work comes in. Yesterday, I worked all afternoon - probably nearly five hours for 25, and I give 20% of that to the Government! Today, I've made double that in an hour when an email arrived. Your people need a swift introduction to movie making budgeting.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Your people need a swift introduction to movie making budgeting.
    The fantasy is ON SCREEN it has to be reality when it comes to making the fantasy.

The problem seems to be a lot of these directors have a dream/fantasy in their heads and see the final on screen fantasy without it fully sinking home that everyone else is in reality and has to buy essential things like champagne, cocaine, Lamborghini's and "personal assistants"

I think it was one of the YouTube channels like Film Riot or similar that pointed out that the main thing shoe-string directors have to realise it is their dream not anyone else's. The rest of the crew won't have the production as the same priority. The point was "look after your crew" of friends, family and fellow budget film makers.
    Last edited by JAMedia; 08-18-2020 at 04:49 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    The thing here is the expectation of long term commitment. Agreeing to a few days for a shoot is fine - even if low paid it can be fitted in, but a mini-series? Common sense says that only fools would really commit with the current work situation. No way can you say yes with any kind of honesty and realism to an open ended, long term low paid/favour way of working. You yourself have already mentioned the chaos that happens when somebody runs out of time and has to move on. Surely this producer understands basic production budgeting? I've been happily working on some as and when projects but the clients are FULLY AWARE that they will come second to any normal fee work that comes in, and my clients understand when Wednesday gets cancelled Tuesday afternoon because real bill paying work comes in. Yesterday, I worked all afternoon - probably nearly five hours for 25, and I give 20% of that to the Government! Today, I've made double that in an hour when an email arrived. Your people need a swift introduction to movie making budgeting.
    Oh okay. Well now he is telling me the plan is now I am directing an episode once a week. And now I'm thinking how are we suppose to shoot an episode once a week? I don't even know how the material he has can go beyond just one or two episodes. What's the rest of this thing about?

So I feel like he has now added onto the plan again by an episode once a week. From directing and shooting to post production and release, once a week. Which I find trouble to do with not only because I have a job and other projects, but also because I don't know what this thing is even about anymore, in terms of directing it.

I want to help him because he helped me out of jam with my previous short film, when he came in as a last minute replacement, but I feel like the jam he is asking me to help him out with, is much bigger, and it keeps changing.
    Last edited by JimS2; 08-18-2020 at 05:20 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Right. So AGAIN, tell him you dont him anything beyond the number of hours he put in for you.

10. Collapse Details
    Sure. I will put into one more episode, for this week, but then I need to cut it off. And what makes it frustrating it his he will send me messages with the changed plans and then tell me where to be and when the deadline is, but remain unavailable to talk about it.

He worked as a stunt and fight choreographer on one of my shorts, so I thought that maybe if I help him out , he would help me out with another one in the future. But I feel I cannot meet his goals, if they keep changing with no end plan so far.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast