Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. Collapse Details
    NBA Strips Photographer’s Credentials Over Offensive Facebook Post
    #1
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,062
    Default
    An NBA photographer was kicked out of the Orlando bubble for sharing a "Joe and the Hoe" Biden/Harris meme on Facebook.

    Be careful what you write online! You have a right to freedom of expression, and your employers have the right to fire you at will.

    I don't like the idea of someone being fired for their political views (although his sexist/racist meme arguably has nothing to do with politics), but if you take your views public, you implicitly represent your employer/s and must comport yourself with dignity.

    What do you guys think?

    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/PetaP...3/RGcD8FzZPSo/
    Last edited by ahalpert; 08-15-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    www.VideoAbe.com

    "Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data


    1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,136
    Default
    One of the reasons that I’m not on social media. You can’t get in trouble for going to the party when you didn’t go to the party, if you know what I mean.

    What amazes me still, are just how STUPID some of these people that post on social media are that work IN THE MEDIA! They know how this works and what can happen, because the story has repeated itself time and time again.

    I’m not taking any side or anything like that. I’m just saying my career isn’t worth some comment on FaceBook or retweet or whatever that someone may not like and they trace it back to me and then my clients have to distance themselves from me(aka: FIRE ME), because right or wrong, this IS the world that we live in now and with social media, the squeaky wheel does get the oil. And the oil is usually someone else’s blood.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,062
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    One of the reasons that I’m not on social media. You can’t get in trouble for going to the party when you didn’t go to the party, if you know what I mean.
    Doesn't this forum count as social media? Or do you reckon that it has less general visibility and anyway your real name isn't on your posts?

    I have noticed that folks like John Brawley who face deep vetting from big networks tend to be more politic in their posts and also talk less trash about other people in the industry and their work


    2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,136
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Doesn't this forum count as social media? Or do you reckon that it has less general visibility and anyway your real name isn't on your posts?

    I have noticed that folks like John Brawley who face deep vetting from big networks tend to be more politic in their posts and also talk less trash about other people in the industry and their work
    Technically you can consider this as social media, but generally speaking, what I consider social media is FB, Twitter, Instagram and things like that. This is very niche, to say the least, but I still tread lightly even here under a screen name. One, it’s just the polite thing to do and two, if someone wants to figure out who you really are bad enough because of something you said, they can.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,062
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    One, it’s just the polite thing to do
    This is my larger problem with the internet - for some reason, it turns everyone into a gremlin. Some say it's because you dont get emotional feedback online as you do in in-person conversation, so people's empathy isn't triggered the same way. Then there's the bandwagon effect of like-minded people egging each other on and becoming a mob.

    I spent a month or so on twitter earlier this year and it was a pretty negative experience. Once I made a comment trying to agree with someone that was misinterpreted as disagreement and I felt the full torrent of communal anger bearing down on me. It's an echo chamber and the echoes get progressively nastier.

    I feel like the internet has ruined everybody. Everything's on there, but it's turned everyone into an a-hole


    2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,136
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    This is my larger problem with the internet - for some reason, it turns everyone into a gremlin. Some say it's because you dont get emotional feedback online as you do in in-person conversation, so people's empathy isn't triggered the same way. Then there's the bandwagon effect of like-minded people egging each other on and becoming a mob.

    I spent a month or so on twitter earlier this year and it was a pretty negative experience. Once I made a comment trying to agree with someone that was misinterpreted as disagreement and I felt the full torrent of communal anger bearing down on me. It's an echo chamber and the echoes get progressively nastier.

    I feel like the internet has ruined everybody. Everything's on there, but it's turned everyone into an a-hole
    There is something to be said for the in-person communication experience. You do lose subtleties like certain kinds of humor in text only, especially if you don’t know someone, but some people just can’t understand, read or interpret the subtleties of conversation no matter what, in-person or written. Things have to be solidly black or white, yes or no for them to ‘get it’. I end up in arguments with my GF constantly, because she misinterprets my responses all of the time. “Why do you always have to contradict me?!” Me: “I was agreeing with you”. Because she’s one of those people that you have to give the Yes/No answer to. If you elaborate on something, she usually thinks you are arguing with her and I don’t know if this comes from the way that she was raised or because of her job.

    I’ve never been on FB, twitter, Instagram, etc., but I think my Mom has made the decision to keep the family business going after deciding she was going to close it last year. So obviously there is going to have to be a social media push for the business, now, but even knowing what I know with how careful you have to be, it kind of scares me, because all it takes is one mis-step in this powder keg that we live in, to set it off.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Doesn't this forum count as social media?
    Definitely not. Social media is the umbrella term for the apps and services that made the term mainstream, such as: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... more recently Snapchat, TikTok, Meerkat, Periscope and whatnot.

    They all pretty much have the "look at me, see me and like me" in common. A social media account is typically tied to a person. Often there's the "if you want to me my friend, I can be yours" aspect too.

    I'm well aware that there are some very broad definitions of 'social media' out there, probably including the earliest BBS users and phone line hackers. I just don't agree with that definition.

    My definition is also much more convenient, since everything in it is more or less crap and can be disregarded in one fell swoop. =)
    @andreemarkefors


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member Batutta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Planet 10
    Posts
    7,569
    Default
    Like anything, there are shades of grey and social media doesn't need to be categorized as all bad or all good. Some of it by design is worse and more harmful to society than others. Social media whose sole purpose is to generate 'likes' and approval is the most harmful, and the most conducive to toxic interactions devoid of nuance, especially in the case of Twitter where you are very limited in how much you can communicate with one tweet. It rewards the most provocative and the least nuanced communication. Instagram I have less of a problem with, only that it's pretty shallow and superficial. Facebook I don't mind because it's very easy to curate who you let see your page, what information you get, and who you friend. People who complain about Facebook don't know how to configure it, or have terrible friends they should probably dump. Forums like this one, and even reddit so long as you are selective about which subreddits you visit, generally are a positive experience for me.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I end up in arguments with my GF constantly, because she misinterprets my responses all of the time. “Why do you always have to contradict me?!” Me: “I was agreeing with you”. Because she’s one of those people that you have to give the Yes/No answer to. If you elaborate on something, she usually thinks you are arguing with her and I don’t know if this comes from the way that she was raised or because of her job.
    Have you ruled out Asperger's? Either way, do you see that part of your name before the ampersand?


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,372
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    What do you guys think?
    It's ridiculous. It's also ridiculous social media information is a mandatory requirement on visa applications for the USA.

    That said, I cant show a lot of my work on my website because I know it would upset certain clients of mine. I've also been warned a few times to be careful what I post becasue I'm being checked by Secret Service of a Government or Organisation I'm making something for. Anyone who has seen my Twitter feed knows I generally ignore this. You only live once and I refuse to hide behind the sofa...
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •