Thread: Panasonic S5

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Sony's glory years were 2014-2018. The a7III was great for its time (even just 2.5 years ago) but it's now bottom of the barrel by today's standards; 8-bit, no 60p, just okay AF, weak IBIS, questionable color.

Panasonic sells its cameras for those prices because it wouldn't be able to go any higher with its current formula.

IMO, Sony and Canon gave Panasonic 1 year with the S1H and now it's their turn. Even if the S1H had an EF mount, it would be a very tough sale for many considering other options.
    Good points. The A7III only shoots 60p @1080 and 8bit. Yeah it's showing its age, but it's still attractive even at it's current price. I assume they'll maintain its price until the release of the A7IV then offer a discount to clear inventory before they discontinue it. S5 has better IBIS on a gimbal its moot. I think GH5 still has the best IBIS.

As far as the 10bit color, I was watching video comparing the two and surprisingly there was almost no difference between 10 and 8bit. Best explanation was with the high internal compression you end up losing much of the gained color. The effects of bit rate on color bit depth has been brought up in other threads. You can't make conclusions on specs alone.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 10-06-2020 at 11:14 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Most people can't tell the difference between RAW and 8-bit so there surely never was much of a difference between 8-bit and 10-bit...at least online.

The bits have always been for grading...or for forum nerds for discussing the paper value of cameras (which is valid because it is an important feature part of the overall system).

3. Collapse Details
    Best Buy has the kit in stock again (for shipping).
    Thank you sir!
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

4. Collapse Details
    Most people can't tell the difference between RAW and 8-bit so there surely never was much of a difference between 8-bit and 10-bit...at least online.

The bits have always been for grading...or for forum nerds for discussing the paper value of cameras (which is valid because it is an important feature part of the overall system).
    I found the video I was thinking of and it's comparing the Nikon Z6 vs A7III but it's still relevant @4:10 he actually is doing a mild grade. He is comparing 10bit externally recorded so 10bit wasn't limited by bit rate, unless the camera reduces hdmi output. Still isn't really a complaint against the S5. I've seen it graded in other video and it looks good. So if you aren't grading it won't matter if you do you'll gain an advantage.

https://youtu.be/87Y_8SmQkMk?t=245
    Last edited by Peter C.; 10-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    You should check out/look for a variety of some ungraded ALEXA footage.

Most of it looks extremely mediocre than what the final products in Hollywood end up looking like.

Will make you quickly forget about camera comparison videos.

6. Collapse Details
    You should check out/look for a variety of some ungraded ALEXA footage.

Most of it looks extremely mediocre than what the final products in Hollywood end up looking like.

Will make you quickly forget about camera comparison videos.
    How would viewing the results of $100k camera make me forget about comparison videos of cameras I could afford?

7. Collapse Details
    I said I thought the ungraded results looked extremely mediocre so that logic above doesn't work, which is my point.

8. Collapse Details
    I have one and I shot two weddings on them this weekend. I'll be potentially editing a teaser for one of them this week. Stay tuned. It'll be a mix of S5 and GH5/G85 footage though.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    I have one and I shot two weddings on them this weekend. I'll be potentially editing a teaser for one of them this week. Stay tuned. It'll be a mix of S5 and GH5/G85 footage though.
    It would be great to see the results. How easy was it to use. Did you use it's auto focus for tracking a person's face?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    It would be great to see the results. How easy was it to use. Did you use it's auto focus for tracking a person's face?
    It was a blast to use, I mapped some quick buttons out, including switching frame sizes, as I shoot primes, so having two frame sizes it super critical. I did not use auto focus, and again, I probably never will, it's just not something I'm used to, and who knows I may never be. I'm pissed that I forgot to change white balance for some shots that were absolutely beautiful... so yeah. I shot in the natural profile (which I use on my GH5) in order to match my GH5's and I'll be seeing if that is the case or not. Overall the highlights seemed a lot softer than the GH5 off first glance.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast