Thread: Panasonic S5

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    When you say back-ordered again I'm now assuming you're talking about the details on your own account in the order status.

Strange situation with this camera!

2. Collapse Details
    P.S. If the other guy's camera shipped today (as he mentioned yesterday) then you just weren't in the first batch.

He also ordered from B&H.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    P.S. If the other guy's camera shipped today (as he mentioned yesterday) then you just weren't in the first batch.

He also ordered from B&H.

I ordered on the 16th... When I talked to them, I was told that my order could/would be fulfilled in the first go-round.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

4. Collapse Details
    If it doesn't ship today/tomorrow, you're unfortunately not getting it for a while (unless you cancel and find it somewhere else).

5. Collapse Details
    I ended up ordering the kit from Best Buy. I'll try to resell the lens at some point because I don't need it. Should be delivered today.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

6. Collapse Details
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    The AF looks surprisingly decent. Color outside looks nice. In that cafe scene the colors look horrible in that lighting

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    I'm intrigued by it's low price, features, and color...

He says the focus is much improved but I noticed at the beginning the walk n talk it loses focus periodically. Not a lot and regains it quickly but with full frame shall dof you notice that far more than on a smaller sensor. That's also a forgiving situation, outdoors, plenty of light, no one very close to him etc. Now imagine low light crowded wedding reception entrance, back lit, first dance, etc... He also tips his hand that AF works better at 60fps and then most of the footage is shot in 60. I also catch cuts where its starting to loses focus. Whether this matters comes down to how you're going to use it. I'm guessing for well lit unchallenging situations will be fine.

So what would hold me back from getting this camera:

1. Lenses: Compared to Canon not many choices. I'd have to take a look at what's available an the price point. Many of these new FF lenses prices are astronomical. You say 2k for the body no problem then spend 3x that just on a few lenses to get basic coverage. Also when you buy a camera like this and have to jump into a new eco system of lenses and hope that the offerings will grow. The state of the industry has me worried for smaller players like Panasonic compared to Sony and Canon.

So you can limp by on the 20-60 3.5-5.6 kit lens, but if you wanted the 24-70 2.8 that's $2,200 (more than the cost of the camera), Sigma offering is affordable at $1k but you need an adapter and how does that effect the af?...

2. Micro HDMI. Hate it. Not a deal breaker. I find with FF you really need a monitor to make sure of the AF or for Log.

3. Focus: these reviews can be deceiving. First hand test either rented or at best in at camera shop...
    Last edited by Peter C.; 10-01-2020 at 06:35 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Since the camera is already shipping, new (non-sponsored) footage is trickling out. Some reviews of the video AF are pretty brutal, even with the kit lens. With an adapter, fuhgettaboutit.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Since the camera is already shipping, new (non-sponsored) footage is trickling out. Some reviews of the video AF are pretty brutal, even with the kit lens. With an adapter, fuhgettaboutit.
    That's the problem with these reviews. People who say auto focus isn't important haven't used a FF camera.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast