Thread: Panasonic S5

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 276
  1. Collapse Details
    #81
    Senior Member Samuel H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    8,156
    Default
    It's out!

    And everything we knew is confirmed: $2k, 24 Mpix, IBIS, 4k60fps, 10-bit 422 internal (except at 4k60fps), etc. The bit I found surprising: it's actually slightly smaller and lighter than the GH5

    Gerald Undone sponsored review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hepPjpE0C8

    Looking at the AF test at the end... the AF in video mode is not great, so it's a pass for me

    It's a camera for people that were already working with that mount


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,759
    Default
    This is 80% of the S1H at 50% of the price. As an S1H owner, I’m drawn to the S5 for its smaller body and lighter weight. I also think this is a needed move from Panasonic, these are such well designed cameras it’s a travesty they aren’t garnering the market share they deserve - yet. By introducing such a compelling option at such a competitive price, and now that native L Mount options are expanding, hopefully this will spur more people to the platform.

    I said this before, but if Panasonic stays committed to aggressively pursuing the platform its the 2nd generation that will be what really counts. As soon as they get a truly competitive AF system implemented, and once l mount has established itself, people will realize that these are some of the best designed cameras out there.

    I have been exceptionally pleased with the S1H reliability, performance, ergonomics, usability. It’s just a brilliant camera, and even though Panasonic just reduced its value I’m all for it because we all win far more by having them in the game. Really want to see L Mount platform succeed as I think Panny simply builds the most well thought out, bullet proof tools.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #83
    Producer Mod Brandon Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    18,847
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    This is 80% of the S1H at 50% of the price. As an S1H owner, I’m drawn to the S5 for its smaller body and lighter weight. I also think this is a needed move from Panasonic, these are such well designed cameras it’s a travesty they aren’t garnering the market share they deserve - yet. By introducing such a compelling option at such a competitive price, and now that native L Mount options are expanding, hopefully this will spur more people to the platform.

    I said this before, but if Panasonic stays committed to aggressively pursuing the platform its the 2nd generation that will be what really counts. As soon as they get a truly competitive AF system implemented, and once l mount has established itself, people will realize that these are some of the best designed cameras out there.

    I have been exceptionally pleased with the S1H reliability, performance, ergonomics, usability. It’s just a brilliant camera, and even though Panasonic just reduced its value I’m all for it because we all win far more by having them in the game. Really want to see L Mount platform succeed as I think Panny simply builds the most well thought out, bullet proof tools.
    As a GH5 user (and lover) who adapts lenses anyway (Speedbooster-EF) this camera has me VERY intrigued... I am thinking after wedding season this year, I may pull the trigger at the end of this year or beginning of next. Might rent one to see, but I love Panasonic.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

    New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #84
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,765
    Default
    It's hard for me not to just see this as a small S1. Which is cool. But the S1 even had low-key dual native ISO. You can get it for $2k now with v-log


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,759
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    As a GH5 user (and lover) who adapts lenses anyway (Speedbooster-EF) this camera has me VERY intrigued... I am thinking after wedding season this year, I may pull the trigger at the end of this year or beginning of next. Might rent one to see, but I love Panasonic.
    Yes, can't see any reason not to be extremely intrigued especially if you are already speedboosting EF. Just get the Sigma MC-1 adapter and add this, you'll maintain similar workflow and matching (but expanded) curves and color. No-brainer IMO!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    It's hard for me not to just see this as a small S1. Which is cool. But the S1 even had low-key dual native ISO. You can get it for $2k now with v-log
    Sure, but it's much closer to a small S1H - this has far better video tools, codecs, etc. than the S1 did. The S1 has a very questionably place in the lineup now... IMO it's basically a choice between the S5, S1R, or S1H - and with the S5 intro, the S1R and S1H are essentially niche cameras at this point. The S1H is twice the cost and is a clear winner in a few categories - but it's also a trade-off, with the S5 having the size/weight advantage as well as better AF according to newshooter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #86
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,765
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Sure, but it's much closer to a small S1H - this has far better video tools, codecs, etc. than the S1 did. The S1 has a very questionably place in the lineup now... IMO it's basically a choice between the S5, S1R, or S1H - and with the S5 intro, the S1R and S1H are essentially niche cameras at this point. The S1H is twice the cost and is a clear winner in a few categories - but it's also a trade-off, with the S5 having the size/weight advantage as well as better AF according to newshooter.
    Yeah, the S1 is dead now.

    But the S5 has the same codecs, framerates, crops and resolution.

    Some nice additions - vectorscope, luminance spot meter, anamorphic capture and ESPECIALLY RAW out.

    But it seems generally pretty similar to the S1 to me. Hardly ground breaking besides the size and the price.

    And apparently it overheats in the sun faster than the a7siii.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ypsilanti MI
    Posts
    884
    Default
    Man, if it were for $1500 ($1800 w/ kit lens) I'd swallow my reservations about the lack of native glass, color science, & marginal auto-focus and order one tonight.

    As it is though, I'm going to see what happens with the Canon cripple clock and the Sony A7c.

    The one serious omission is the lack of a full HDMI port. This seems to be a very silly segmentation decision that doesn't really segment, but rather only annoys users.

    Still an impressive camera, just perhaps not quite as impressive as the relative competition for the price.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,759
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    But the S5 has the same codecs, framerates, crops and resolution.
    The S5 has 4k 60p 10-bit 420, the S1 did not - huge deal there.

    The S5 also has more codec options overall - for example, the S1 didn't even have the option to shoot FHD in 24p (only 30p in FHD, 24p was available only in 4k).

    The S1H addressed all the video complaints of the S1 - it added the swivel screen, the codecs, and the video friendly UI software tool features that the S1 lacked - but it did so at twice the cost. S5 does this at less than the cost, plus better AF, plus smaller and lighter.

    Re: overheating, we'll see - but for this reason, I don't regret the S1H.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,759
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    Man, if it were for $1500 ($1800 w/ kit lens) I'd swallow my reservations about the lack of native glass, color science, & marginal auto-focus and order one tonight.
    I chuckled, it never ends. Price is fantastic on this camera for what it delivers.

    Re: color science, surprising, I think Panny has some of the best and one of the easiest to grade log curves. Besides, with cinematch and other tools it's extremely easy to translate colors to one's liking, and easier when starting from such a strong color science and LOG curve. YMMV.

    Lack of native glass is a real thing, but the lenses available now are so excellent and cover all the bases, does it matter that much, especially when it's so adaptable? Especially for video, this seems rather trivial.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    The one serious omission is the lack of a full HDMI port. This seems to be a very silly segmentation decision that doesn't really segment, but rather only annoys users.
    It's for size reasons.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #90
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,765
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    The S5 has 4k 60p 10-bit 420, the S1 did not - huge deal there.

    The S5 also has more codec options overall - for example, the S1 didn't even have the option to shoot FHD in 24p (only 30p in FHD, 24p was available only in 4k).

    The S1H addressed all the video complaints of the S1 - it added the swivel screen, the codecs, and the video friendly UI software tool features that the S1 lacked - but it did so at twice the cost. S5 does this at less than the cost, plus better AF, plus smaller and lighter.

    Re: overheating, we'll see - but for this reason, I don't regret the S1H.
    You make good points, especially about 4k60p 10-bit - I didnt realize that.

    S1 did fhd 24p but in lesser codecs, yes.

    Those other features you mentioned are good, too. I still dont think the s5 has usable autofocus.

    Cropping in for 4k60p is a bummer.

    I'm very glad I sold my S1 already, though. I'm not planning on getting an s5 but it's going to kill the demand for the S1. It's undeniably better for video although it lacks the 2 things that take me to the A7SIII: no-crop 4k60p and good AF


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •