Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Budget says shoot spherical lenses and crop like so many other people end up doing. From the messing around I've done with my 1.33x converter, I'd want a really good reason to shoot something real with it.

Having a variable diopter in front to handle focus would make life better, and renting real anamorphic lenses would probably be better than that.

With the adapter I have, you'll get super shallow depth of field, forcing you to shoot at f4 or darker, so now a light level issue. Since mine doesn't have a variable diopter, I'd need to constantly mess around with small value fixed diopters, which I bought. And due to the weight, I'd really need a lens bridge to support it hanging on the end of my lenses.

All that said, I'd guess that most movies shot with anamorphic lenses, also have a few scenes shot with spherical lenses. The only real answer is to give it a try, see what you can rent or if you have a rental shop nearby, go in and ask if you can try some options in house to get a feeling for what you might like.

2. Collapse Details
    I have a Schneider ES Cinelux Anamorphic 2x Scope projection lens with a SLR Magic Rangefinder and I use Nikon stills glass from the 70s as taking lenses. For $500 I am shooting anamorphic and I love it. That said, Fincher hates anamorphic lenses. He adds barrel distortion and vignetting in post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmXdt6fq-Q

If you combine that with manipulated boke and flares, you'll be in business at a total cost of 5 bucks:
    https://nofilmschool.com/2017/11/tut...namorphic-lens

Or you could just rent the lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12