1. Collapse Details
    Screen Recording from Zoom, Webex, Facetime, etc (COVID19)
    I am sure I am not the only one here, and on that not if there is already a thread on this please let me know, as I need to record interviews via Zoom, Webex, Facetime, etc.

My set up is much like Axios on HBO (https://www.hbo.com/video/axios/seas...e-7/videos/ice) although I am also running lav mics to field recorders to make sure of good audio.

What apps are people using to record from these social apps? Why? And how are you using them?

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers.

2. Collapse Details
    I haven't specifically recorded remote interviews this way, but 2 thoughts that come to mind are simply using quicktime to screen record while routing the audio through a program like blackhole to record the audio as well. Or OBS can take a feed from a particular window and record it at a high bitrate, though I'm not sure how much control it offers over the settings.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    OBS is really good, free and versatile, that's what I use. I'd suggest getting a second monitor so you can leave OBS visible on your laptop and capture the second monitor. This way you can adjust and monitor the recording, view notes, all on a separate screen without effecting the recording.

Camtasia is another software but costs $250. It's geared more for education but has nice features and can also be used to edit and produce the video. There are a lot of screen capture software out there, you can download the trials and see what's right for you. No matter what software you use, fully test and understand what's going on. Depending on how fancy you want to get there are many other things you can get if you haven't already. Film with a camera instead of your laptop webcam now you need streaming device and camera support. Lights, background, acoustic panels...

One final thing, you should fully understand the steaming platform whether it be Zoom or some other platform. They are always changing and work differently. You don't want to be fumbling around with it while doing an interview.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 08-14-2020 at 07:40 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Zoom has built in recording capability but you are better off using something like OBS or Vmix. You have to be careful how you set up recordings if you want to edit them. Some codecs and compression schemes don't play well in NLE's.

5. Collapse Details
    Best thing would be Skype and check the box for NDI, then use OBS to record. I've looked at Jitsu Meet, and the recording features look decent, you can select which feed you want to see in the recording (follow me mode).

Teams has the ability to record, as well as Zoom as mentioned, almost certain face time and the Facebook service allow recording too. How good they look depends on a lot of factors, lighting being one of the most important, camera next, and internet connection being the final. But wait, there is more... If the servers are clogged like when everyone is teaching to home, then the quality goes down.

If you have the ability to run your own Jitsu Meet server, then I'd do that. Then you control the amount of usage on the server. Meet is open source software so you can run your own server if you have enough bandwidth to do so.

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you.

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you. This is great.

8. Collapse Details
    This is really helpful. Cheers.

9. Collapse Details
    Oops. I was trying to reply to you all individually! Anyway thanks and some really helpful stuff. Cheers.