Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    My only comment, is that Steve Yedlin was trying to say that DP's should be able to choose the Alexa over a RED or Sony. Maybe he didn't say that directly, but his test was to show that image quality is more than K's and that the choice should be up to the DP, and not some hype or some engineer or marketing dept somewhere no one has ever met or heard of.

Now, I get where you are going, in that Sony chose the better sum of averages in video features, and I am in that same mindset with you. I am really happy that Sony chose 12MP over some fancy QUAD bayer sensor. And like you are showing with the RS numbers, that is just one of the benefits.

However, RED's still look better than the Sony A7s3, so trying to sprinkle some of that Yedlin fairy dust on the A7s3 is likely skewing Yedlin's point. Because if Yedlin was fighting for the idea that DP's should be able to choose the Alexa 2K over some 8K RED or Sony, then it is because the image quality is better.... so why would Yedlin try to prove that a Sony A7s3 is better than a RED or Sony Venice? He wouldn't. So, I don't think Yedlin was promoting the idea of less resolution, but that image quality is a sum of parts and right now resolution is not as important as other factors. Many of those factors the Sony A7s3 does not meet. BUT, and this is a big BUT, the Sony A7s3 raw files are likely to be amazing to work with, and I think the A7s3 is definitively a BMPCC6K killer.
    1. I wasn’t sprinking dust on anything, nor was I implying that the a7s III was better than a RED. The image quality of the a7s III is fine in my book. Sounds like we basically agree on priorities though.
    Last edited by jonpais; 08-13-2020 at 07:10 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpais View Post
    1. I wasn’t sprinking dust on anything, nor was I implying that the a7s III was better than a RED. The image quality of the a7s III is fine in my book. Sounds like we basically agree on priorities though.
    Yes, I think you and I are on the same page. It is pretty great that Sony prioritized most of the things that are important to video and also kept the "moonlight for daylight" aspect of the camera, as there really is no other camera like it, in that regard.

Apologies if I was too strong on the fairy dust comment. The Yedlin thing is a bit of a trigger for me. Bt overall, I think you are spot on. Love your perspective.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Yes, I think you and I are on the same page. It is pretty great that Sony prioritized most of the things that are important to video and also kept the "moonlight for daylight" aspect of the camera, as there really is no other camera like it, in that regard.

Apologies if I was too strong on the fairy dust comment. The Yedlin thing is a bit of a trigger for me. Bt overall, I think you are spot on. Love your perspective.
    Thanks. ☺️

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details

What's sort of funny is I think that sony crippled the camera for hybrid shooters by focusing solely on the video side. What we see as a strength others see as a disqualifier. But we're us not them so what do we care. Lucky us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12