Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    a7s III: Phenomenal Rolling Shutter results
    DPReview just posted their rolling shutter results:
    4K 60p / 30p / 24p 8.7ms
    4K 120p 7.7ms
    4K Steady Shot Active
    (60p / 30p / 24P) 7.8ms

Those are phenomenal numbers to be sure.
    Sony did not sheepishly follow the marketing hype
    around more Ks - which Steve Yedlin brilliantly smashes - and instead chose to go
    with larger, juicy pixels - not tiny smartphone photosites  -
    allowing for faster readout times, greater DR, increased low light
    sensitivity and better S/N ratio. Same as Arri’s philosophy.
    The 4K 120p footage looks nice and crispy.
    Along with 13 stops of dynamic range, full pixel readout 120p, crazy lowlight
    ability, improved color science, updated ergos, excellent AF even when shooting
    log ETTR, the a7s III is shaping up to
    be a very compelling option. I just hope Paul Leeming gets his hands on this beast
    soon, because his LUTs for the a7 III have transformed it into a totally new
    camera, with excellent skin tones and accurate color rendition. Having two extra stops
    of dynamic range and 10-bit means we’ll have much more flexibility in post to fine
    tune the footage even more.
    Last edited by jonpais; 08-13-2020 at 05:10 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    so good.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey those leeming luts look great. Thanks for the tip. I just wish we could load luts into the camera.

Yeah the A7SIII has really strong fundamentals. I wish we could control the sharpening in camera and turn it down. It looks a little too crispy to me sometimes. Maybe we can. But yeah the 4K120p blows that of the R5 out of the water, before you even consider the massive bitrate advantage and SD card recording

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Hey those leeming luts look great. Thanks for the tip. I just wish we could load luts into the camera.

Yeah the A7SIII has really strong fundamentals. I wish we could control the sharpening in camera and turn it down. It looks a little too crispy to me sometimes. Maybe we can. But yeah the 4K120p blows that of the R5 out of the water, before you even consider the massive bitrate advantage and SD card recording
    Yeah, some of the slow motion I’ve seen has been oversharpened. Can’t sharpening be reduced in camera like the a7 III?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpais View Post
    Yeah, some of the slow motion I’ve seen has been oversharpened. Can’t sharpening be reduced in camera like the a7 III?
    Maybe I don't know. Philip Bloom said that you can't turn off noise reduction in-camera. So I thought - maybe you can't turn off sharpening either. I downloaded a sample clip from Gordon laing's vimeo page to grade, and I ended up putting a slight gaussian blur on it to soften out the detail.

I mean, if you record RAW from the camera you should be able to bypass all that and do whatever you want.

And either way, the sharpening would not be a dealbreaker for me

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpais View Post
    Steve Yedlin
    My only comment, is that Steve Yedlin was trying to say that DP's should be able to choose the Alexa over a RED or Sony. Maybe he didn't say that directly, but his test was to show that image quality is more than K's and that the choice should be up to the DP, and not some hype or some engineer or marketing dept somewhere no one has ever met or heard of.

Now, I get where you are going, in that Sony chose the better sum of averages in video features, and I am in that same mindset with you. I am really happy that Sony chose 12MP over some fancy QUAD bayer sensor. And like you are showing with the RS numbers, that is just one of the benefits.

However, RED's still look better than the Sony A7s3, so trying to sprinkle some of that Yedlin fairy dust on the A7s3 is likely skewing Yedlin's point. Because if Yedlin was fighting for the idea that DP's should be able to choose the Alexa 2K over some 8K RED or Sony, then it is because the image quality is better.... so why would Yedlin try to prove that a Sony A7s3 is better than a RED or Sony Venice? He wouldn't. So, I don't think Yedlin was promoting the idea of less resolution, but that image quality is a sum of parts and right now resolution is not as important as other factors. Many of those factors the Sony A7s3 does not meet. BUT, and this is a big BUT, the Sony A7s3 raw files are likely to be amazing to work with, and I think the A7s3 is definitively a BMPCC6K killer.

7. Collapse Details
    I think you're right, although the A7S3 + Ninja V is double the cost of the BMPCC6K. But factoring in the range of necessary accessories for both cameras, a shooting package is probably only 1.5x the cost. Close enough

8. Collapse Details
    I think you're right, although the A7S3 + Ninja V is double the cost of the BMPCC6K. But factoring in the range of necessary accessories for both cameras, a shooting package is probably only 1.5x the cost. Close enough
    Exactly. It is more expensive, but it may be worth it unless one plans to:

be stuck with EF mount
    never use an external monitor
    love jello rolling shutter
    always shoot raw internal without an external monitor
    love less DR
    you hate flip screens and EVF's?
    you hate E mount and all the benefits?
    You never want to work in ff35
    you don't want the possibility of AF
    you dislike better battery life
    never shoot under moonlight for any sort of anything
    never work with Fs7 or Fx9 or many other Sony's?
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    What if you're buying a camera with the money you saved eating ramen for 6 months? You're probably getting a P4K

10. Collapse Details
    What if you're buying a camera with the money you saved eating ramen for 6 months? You're probably getting a P4K
    I actually love the P4K. But that is because it is a great M43 camera with the M43 mount. It offers something unique, like the ability to use small long fast zooms. The 6K, despite having somewhat higher IQ, lives in an increasingly crowded market. Meanwhile the RS is meh, and the DR is meh, and the body is the largest in class, and the battery life is really bad. So, the BMP4k is actually one of the best in class for the format, regardless of price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast