Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tokun1 View Post
    Hi Razz, thanks for the reply. I ended up putting it on the rails with a lens support. I agree and I understand, however I'm getting noise at 1600!...I mean, my GH5 performs better than this camera which is VERY confusing and frustrating. I know how to light, but lots of times when shooting corporate style video and getting B-roll your moving from room to room and don't have time to light the room, I got the s1h hoping it would help. IDK what to do at this point.
    Never used this camera, can't comment on the low light performance. The noise of the images doesn't seem that bad but I'm coming from a live event wedding reception point of view. Don't take offense because it sounds like you have lots of experience but there is no substitute for lights. I've noticed people are more willing to spend money on the camera than other things that are equally important. Ie only as strong as your weakest link. Throw in an Aperture 300d, umbrella or pointed at the ceiling is going to eliminate noise issues. I've seen interviews filmed with a tiny 1/3 inch sensor 8 bit color camcorder look great because they were lit properly. I don't think throwing money blindly at ff cameras is always the solution. The A7sIII is the low light king but if your expectations are out of line with reality you could also be disappointed by that camera too...
    Last edited by Peter C.; 08-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    You should definitely get better noise performance than with the GH5. I recommend trying HLG instead of v-log for low-light scenes. The native ISOs in HLG are 400 and 2500.

Also - I can't see the stills that you upload well enough to evaluate the noise. Can you put them on Google drive or dropbox and post a link next time?

3. Collapse Details
    Did the OP ever say HOW he is grading the V-log? Or HOW he is exposing? Those are critical parts of the equation that I don't think have even been addresed in this thread. Furthermore, expecting 8-bit 4:2:0 LOG to look good is a pipe dream. Why even waste time testing it? Choose a 10-bit codec, expose correctly, grade in Resolve, and then examine the results. That will tell you whether the camera is at fault or not.

Personally, I think the S1H grades out beautifully and is excellent in low light. I've sold some indoor stock footage from the camera that could never have been shot with other cameras that would have drawn too much attention. It is a workhorse camera indoors and out.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; 08-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    The HLG looks great!...so, after further testing the issue was shooting 8bit, I switched to 10 bit V-log and it's much better after lighting the scene not going over the 640 ISO native.

5. Collapse Details
    Great video Doug! Yes, I am well aware of the limitations of 8-bit recording, I'm talking about running and gunning style videography where i do not have the time to light a scene and was hoping that the camera will be more solid at low light if the Dual Native ISO is 4000.

6. Collapse Details
    I haven't been using my S1H lately as much as I was last winter, but I am always impressed with the image quality when I sit down to grade the footage. There is something "creamy" about the picture that I really like. I don't know how else to describe it. If someone can't get a good picture out of the S1H it is always going to be due to operator error in one fashion or another.

7. Collapse Details
    BTW, I encourage anyone with an S1H to experiement with V-LOG and come to their own conclusions, but I actually prefer not to shoot with LOG. I like the results I get by coming as close as I can to a finished image onboard the camera and then putting it through Resolve for the final polishing. Obviously I don't have as much leeway in post to change the look, but I don't need to change the look because I already graded the video onboard the camera at the time of shooting to get the look I want.

8. Collapse Details
    got another question for you, why is VFR grayed out when shooting anything above 1080? I have it set to 4k and is says "VFR available". Thanks!

9. Collapse Details
    That's a good point Doug, I just moved up from my GH5, and want to take advantage of the better dynamic range in the S1H. But, here is a question for you, why is VFR grayed out when trying to shoot anything above 1080? I'm choosing a 4k mode that says, "VFR Available". Thanks for your help!

10. Collapse Details
    I finally figured out you can use VFR but you have to switch to 35mm view from Full Frame so it crops, that's a bummer!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast