1. Collapse Details
    Iphone record straight to hard drive
    Apologies if this has been asked before. Just can't find a straight answer.

Is there a way of recording 4k, or any, video directly to a hard drive through an iPhone? If so, how and what equipment is needed? Let's say with an iPhone 11 but happy to hear about any model.

Appreciate your help and let me know your thoughts on this.

Cheers.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    You can record out via the Lightning port using the AV adaptor to HDMI, but I'm not sure there would be any advantage to doing so vs the internal recording (and any screen overlays would be recorded as part of the image).
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3. Collapse Details
    I have a commercial shoot coming up using an iPhone to record the video. How was your experience recording to an external hard drive? I was thinking of trying to use an external recorder, to be able to easier monitor and playback takes

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cneedelman View Post
    I have a commercial shoot coming up using an iPhone to record the video. How was your experience recording to an external hard drive? I was thinking of trying to use an external recorder, to be able to easier monitor and playback takes
    What sort of commercial shoot requires using an iPhone (other than Apple or Bentley cars)?

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMedia View Post
    What sort of commercial shoot requires using an iPhone (other than Apple or Bentley cars)?
    Well, I did it on this one earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehcUqjpRobQ

I started cracking the nut on monitoring iPhones externally a while back, I currently use this setup (about to be refined with cables running down inside the handgrip). On one series we had a character doing long monologues as if Snapchatting, had some pretty long runs (at one point a whole city block) and the little transmitter did great.

iphonerig1.jpg

iphonerig2.jpg
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    Well, I did it on this one earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehcUqjpRobQ
    Nice!