Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Are the 2/3 lenses - designed for filming a lion on the other side of the river any less compromised - the one you linked to ramped with telephoto.?

The grown up reality is that 8000ISO (s35) is usable in the context of getting a shot of leopards having se_x

The 50-1000 is 'small' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzzDv4knPSk (and 'cheap')
    Well, if the leopards are having a nooner it would be no problem at all. Even at my latitude I get a 1/48 ISO100 f/16 or 22 exposure in midday summer sun. But go to the shade, different story. Late in the day, different story.

Regardless - you're talking about wildlife super telephoto and not a general purpose ENG lens. You also called it a 5.6.

But your point about cleaner high ISOs is well-taken and I agree that it's worth it to shrink the lens size and cost. You see that now with some of these super cheap super light canon super telephoto stills lenses. Very interesting

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Huh?
    Well, yous people are jivin' about them fancy cameras and ever cooler Objektiv (Optik), so I figured I'd chime in about the presumably soon-to-be-announced MFT camera. Which can be both small in size and have lightweight zooms. Or it may not be all that small but the MFT zooms have long been out there and they don't weight 80 pounds either. Unless it's a super long one.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    How does the grip interface with the lens?
    Follow the Newsshooter link. That explains how it all works.

Chris Young

https://www.newsshooter.com/2015/06/...able-released/

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Well sony sit knowing what canon have - a canon that does match the FS7 (does it not?)

The venerable old FS7 will do 4k/UHD in 422 10-bit at 50/60p XAVC-I frame. If I understand it correctly the Canon C70 does not do 4K/UHD 422 10-bit XFAVC-I frame over 30p. If you want 50/60p you are shooting H.264 Long GOP.

Chris Young

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/09/24/canon-eos-c70/

C70 codecs.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Sort of like this? Camera whips of real quick as the rest is built around the lens. Auto or Man or AF/M focus controlled by the push/pull focus ring. The iris I always drive manually. IS is selected manually on the lens. Servo zoom can be from the FS7 grip or the lens itself.

Chris Young

Oh! Forgot.
    It also drops straight onto a Sony VCT-14 tripod plate making it cross-compatible with the other cameras using the VCT-14.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2015/06/...able-released/

Attachment 140591
    Attachment 140592
    Pretty much exactly this.

Although, I was thinking this concept can be expanded to larger 10x, 12x, and even 20x s35 or M43 short flange zooms.

The issue with what I am talking about is that there are not many short flange par focal long s35 zooms. But now that lenses can be designed without the need to accommodate a spinning mirror, we can improve and shrink the s35 super zoom. The thing is, it likely won't happen right away, or maybe not ever, who knows. People are still trying to build their setup around cameras, when lenses are now the biggest and most expensive piece.

6. Collapse Details
    Chris, might be more like this, but also exactly the same concept in practice, just a bigger and faster zoom.

so, basically an F2.8 or F4 10-20x super35 par focal lens with a super short flange that can cover extreme wides to longer telephoto. like a 20-200 or a 15-300 etc.

The lens would be sturdy enough to support the whole system, and have mounting plates and things. and at the end of the day, it would be about as functional as an ENG camera, while also being a little smaller.

The big zoom lens would be whole core of the system. The camera body would jest be attached to whatever lens system you wanted to work with. Might start referring to cameras as "lens backs". haha.

It does seem like M43 would be the more logical successor to the ENG camera, but the s35 is the most versatile in terms of control over image.

And while what I am talking about is a lens that doesn't exist yet, there are some lenses that can already do this, but perhaps are either just a little too heavy or just a little to short of a zoom range. so, would still need redesigned lenses to make it appealing to more operators, but if one really wants to do this, there are a few lenses that can work even today. mainly because cameras are so insanely small. Like a Komodo already has wireless control via smart phone.
    Last edited by James0b57; 09-25-2020 at 09:38 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Here is a near 10x 2.8 cine zoom by Takumi

https://www.ducloslenses.com/product...239-195mm-t2-9

The lens is 20lbs, so obviously not a clear winner, but given the range and speed, and the fact that cameras only weigh 2lbs, a full setup could still be under 30lbs.

Now, implement design techniques for shorter flange distance and perhaps slow the lens down a 1/2 or whole stop, and implement some more native mounting points, and you could drop the weight of the rig close to 15-20lbs. perhaps have lightweight servo motors internal like panavision's lenses.

Then we're looking at a $50,000 lens and a $3500 camera in the near future.

Either that, or someone has to invent something revolutionary. I'm just tired of all the half backed re-hashed bad ideas coming out now with "new and improved" written on the box. It is ruining the industry.

8. Collapse Details
    Would like to start seeing camera bodies become less of a thing, and rigs centering more around function and or the optical system.

I don't see off-the-shelf printed circuit boards with a handle the bench mark for ergonomic design. Manufacturers have to work from function first.

The C70 is another step in the right direction, but also, still has some oversights and some of the same flaws we've been hating since the 5Dmk2 got 24p. I applaud Canon for kinda/sorta/maybe seeing something, but ultimately they still kind of missed the mark. Another stop gap design. pros and cons.

9. Collapse Details
    We use all these automotive analogies but camping trailers are better metaphors. We need to accept that cameras can never converge toward one ideal because there isn't one. Every time I go camping with the group someone has a new variation from how they did it before, a toy hauler, pop-up tent trailer, pickup cab-over, slide out travel trailer, 5th wheel, class A motorhome, generators, satellite dishes to plain old regular tents. Everyone is trying to accomplish the same thing, their own minimum level of comfort for the duration that gets them and their junk into the destination reliably, economically. All the variations can work, everyone gets to cook, eat and sleep. The debate is only about the compromises you have to make.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    The FX6 is not going to match FS7 codecs. The FX9 has FS7 codecs. It would totally undercut the FX9
    What's odd about the FX9 is that you need a bulky expensive extension to get raw to an Atomos recorder but the FS5 II can record raw to Atomos without any extensions.

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast