Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    In all honesty I used to be a huge Canon fan, but their lack of development and pricing made me migrate to BM gear. Canon is rock solid, and it always works. However IQ quality made me switch, and even though I have to put up with BM quirks, I will say their IQ, workflow and final product are superior, at much lower price point.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrygvizdek View Post
    In all honesty I used to be a huge Canon fan, but their lack of development and pricing made me migrate to BM gear. Canon is rock solid, and it always works. However IQ quality made me switch, and even though I have to put up with BM quirks, I will say their IQ, workflow and final product are superior, at much lower price point.
    I was going the other way round. Using Canon for stills since ages in analog times and digital since the 1st 5D I never got caught by the C series. The C300 was way too expensive, the C300ii expensive too and crippled, C200 crippled.. The C300ii is my 1st Cinema series camera and I couldn't be happier about image quality, ease of handling and autofocus. I am not a fan of a specific brand in general. I use what makes my work easy and brings money. If 5,000,-$ price difference of two cameras makes a difference in your income over 3yrs there's probably something wrong with the business model.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post

Events - dead. But mostly postponed to next year, so 2021 could be a banner year.
    I'm not sure I agree. A lot of events, once gone, are gone.
    A few examples of events being cancelled that affected me:
    2020 ACC Men's basketball tournament- Cancelled.
    2020 NCAA Men's basketball tournament- Cancelled.
    2020 NCAA Women's basketball tournament- Cancelled.
    2020 ACC Football Media Day's- Cancelled.

There won't be two of these in 2021 to make up for it them not happening in 2020. Just like there won't be two (main)NAB's or two Cine Gear's, etc. Maybe with things like concerts that got pushed, so you'll have the postponed events stacking up with other events that are planned for 2021, but I don't think it's gonna make up for this year, by any stretch. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    A few examples of events being cancelled that affected me:
    2020 ACC Men's basketball tournament- Cancelled.
    2020 NCAA Men's basketball tournament- Cancelled.
    2020 NCAA Women's basketball tournament- Cancelled.
    2020 ACC Football Media Day's- Cancelled.

There won't be two of these in 2021 to make up for it them not happening in 2020. Just like there won't be two (main)NAB's or two Cine Gear's, etc. Maybe with things like concerts that got pushed, so you'll have the postponed events stacking up with other events that are planned for 2021, but I don't think it's gonna make up for this year, by any stretch. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I will be.
    My new partnership with my friends trade show exhibit company, we have been tracking industry trends closely and carefully since his entire $5 million dollar per year business hinges on it. Trade shows are just gone for 2020 and the first half of 2021 so far. As you all know, NAB, IBC, AES, SEMA, basically every large trade show for 2020
    was canceled. If take the aggregate of an entire industry bassically canceling 2020, that is 34.3 BILLION dollars of lost business. I am helping him pivot, we are working on all kinds of cool alternatives with virtual exhibits, live streaming and experiential marketing videos but even those are a poor substitute for a real, in person trade show
    experience. But all of his customers have to do something to keep up their image, new product roll outs, reinforcing their product lines to their clients. It's a huge opportunity for us. But the stupid way that our country has reacted to the Pandemic is holding us back. For my tiny company so far, just in this arena we have lost close to $100k
    in bookings so far this year and they keep canceling.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I should have said weddings. Most of my events are weddings and the couples still want to throw a big party. I think every wedding that has canceled on me is postponing till next year. I actually have one little ceremony to livestream (wish me luck!) next weekend that will also have a big party next year.

So, some of my wedding companies are expecting a busy year (if parties can be thrown without masks and social distancing). Then the problem is losing work due to conflicting dates. Oh well

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    . If 5,000,-$ price difference of two cameras makes a difference in your income over 3yrs there's probably something wrong with the business model.
    I'm not sure if I agree with that. Ok - you bought a $10k camera. Then you could afford a $15k camera? Ok. So then you could afford a $20k camera? There's gotta be a cut-off point somewhere for someone's budget, or a point where saving $5k on the camera body so you can direct it into lights or audio makes sense. Or maybe you take the $5k and buy stocks

Another way to look at it is not that it's $5k more but that it's twice the cost

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I'm not sure if I agree with that. Ok - you bought a $10k camera. Then you could afford a $15k camera? Ok. So then you could afford a $20k camera? There's gotta be a cut-off point somewhere for someone's budget, or a point where saving $5k on the camera body so you can direct it into lights or audio makes sense. Or maybe you take the $5k and buy stocks

Another way to look at it is not that it's $5k more but that it's twice the cost
    I'm not down with that argument, because if you keep "it's just $5K more" enough times you're at $100K, which is $95K away from $5K, not just $5K away from $5K. But that's kind of the point you were trying to make, I think. But still, not a good argument. Everyone has to make their own decisions on how to divvy-up their money on gear, etc.

But right now, in the current economic/business climate, especially as it relates to TV and production, I wouldn't just be tossing $5K around willy-nilly, either.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes that was my point - your budget could balloon by increments. Or maybe you have a fixed amount to spend.

But obviously if spending $5k more would make you an additional $20k/year, you don't want to be pennywise and pound-foolish. But if you're producing the work and the client doesn't care what camera you use, it's not so simple.

In any case, I like to evaluate price ratios instead of absolute differences. If you save 10% on everything, it can really add up.

9. Collapse Details
    I agree about $5g not mattering.

Say 10vs15 with 50% depreciation over four years. 400 days worked.

What’s the difference in daily cost? $6.50?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    What I wanted to say: if a camera is a better choice for you but you don’t buy it because of 5k there might be something wrong. Easy. no need to make more out of it and end at mini LF instead of a GH5

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast