Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    From the same early tester. Same lens, same settings. This is after Facebook compression.

C70

C200

The C200 raw looks sharper to my eye. Coming from different sensors, the colors are remarkably close.
    Somethings wrong there. Its hard to evaluate in this form on this forum, but the background is sharper in the C70 as if it had different DOF or a different focus distance.

2. Collapse Details
    Coming from different sensors, the colors are remarkably close.
    Something I've quite admired about Canon, is that even with all the variations, they have maintained a signature look over the last Decade. Most other brands have evolved over time, creating huge disparities between older models.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Somethings wrong there. Its hard to evaluate in this form on this forum, but the background is sharper in the C70 as if it had different DOF or a different focus distance.
    You're right, there is a difference. He said they were both shot at 50mm at f4 on Canon 24-70mm 2.8. He must have accidentally zoomed in a little on the C200 or moved the tripod slightly.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Something I've quite admired about Canon, is that even with all the variations, they have maintained a signature look over the last Decade. Most other brands have evolved over time, creating huge disparities between older models.
    Definitely...that's one of their strengths (I guess you can call it that).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    You don't find that the C200 has a more greenish-blue look compared with other Eos cameras? I personally really like the c200 look, but I find that it is different from the older C cameras and also from the C300 mk3/C500mk2 look. The older cameras had a more red biased look to my eyes (that the c200 doesn't seem to have), and the new DGO sensor seems to have a slightly different brownish/burnished warmth.

In the frames posted here, I see the same pattern. The bowens reflector in the back (blacks) and the forehead skin both have a more greenish tint (in a pleasing way, not a Sony way. Ha!) compared to the C70.

BTW, I don't own the c200 but have shot a bunch on the older C series cameras. I wonder if someone who owns or has owned at least one of each (c300mk1/2, C200, and has shot on the newer DGO sensor) can share their thoughts on this. Maybe Chris from the C300mk3 thread?
    Last edited by ozmorphasis; 10-19-2020 at 02:26 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    There is definitely more green in the C200 footage. I think I prefer the look to the C200 overall.
    Last edited by QuickHitRecord; 10-20-2020 at 10:48 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    ... If the DPAF is not significantly improved by the time the production models roll out, I'll seriously consider picking up a second C200 instead.
    Damn. This is not what I want to hear. Why can't Canon just put their mirrorless DPAF into their cinema cameras?!
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Damn. This is not what I want to hear. Why can't Canon just put their mirrorless DPAF into their cinema cameras?!
    Keep in mind that it's just one person's observation about a pre-production camera so there is still a chance there might be an improvement. If not, it might be reason enough to skip this generation for those mostly interested in better AF.

The free version of Resolve won't preview MXF files properly so I had to look at everything in Premiere this evening. I think the dynamic range is pretty superb. A definite step up from the C200. It grades really nicely too. There's a little moire too, but that life vest material would have been a challenge for any sensor so no points deducted there. I applied a ridiculous lift on the shadows to the C70 and some C200 CRL clips I had one hand. The C200's underlying noise is a lot finer. No surprise there. The C70's skintones are a little more pink than I'd like.

The real question in my mind is how much of a hit the second hand market value of the C200 will take after the C70 is rolled out.

9. Collapse Details
    The real question in my mind is how much of a hit the second hand market value of the C200 will take after the C70 is rolled out.
    That's probably the smart money move. Used prices never come down appreciably until a camera gets replaced (not that this is a direct replacement). FS7s were a dime a dozen after the FX9 came out, even though many people held onto their FS7. They might have been even cheaper in the spring during the flood of ebay sales than they are now. same thing with C300mk2 and C300mk3.

10. Collapse Details
    Keep in mind that it's just one person's observation about a pre-production camera so there is still a chance there might be an improvement. If not, it might be reason enough to skip this generation for those mostly interested in better AF.

The free version of Resolve won't preview MXF files properly so I had to look at everything in Premiere this evening. I think the dynamic range is pretty superb. A definite step up from the C200. It grades really nicely too. There's a little moire too, but that life vest material would have been a challenge for any sensor so no points deducted there. I applied a ridiculous lift on the shadows to the C70 and some C200 CRL clips I had one hand. The C200's underlying noise is a lot finer. No surprise there. The C70's skintones are a little more pink than I'd like.

They've been hovering around $4,500.00 for a clean one. As a C200 owner, I hope the values take a nose dive because then I'll be able to afford to buy at least one more, possibly two more so I can have three for live stream shoots ;-)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354 LastLast