Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Looks like the Kodak share price has tumbled back down after news the deal is being investigated for insider trading. I thought this looked odd and have a feeling as this this story unfolds that share price will continue downward.
    Beyond odd. It was absurd to give a loan to a chemical company to make pharmaceuticals. Note that Kodak is in a dire situation financially. So much so that they issued a cryptocurrency that never got off the ground. That indicates how desperate they were/are.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16...er-stock-price

If that wasn't desperate enough for you, they also put their name on a cryptocurrency mining computer. Desperate times call for desperate measures. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44845291

Clearly, they are grasping at straws for survival. There is always a bit of melancholy when you see a leader in a sector fade away. It's a message to everyone to have your future secured by being able to move to the next thing and not stay stationary in one discipline.

2. Collapse Details
    The very odd thing was the digital patents that Kodak owned. How did they let them selves get so far behind the times? I remember photogs with Nikon bodies and that Kodak imager stuck on the back, whopping 2mp resolution, actually I remember the lower resolution ones too.

3. Collapse Details
    They had plenty of time to figure out a next step. If they had been located in Silicon Valley, maybe they would have had inspiration to move on to other things. Their downtown headquarters was about 70% vacant according to a 2017 article.

Then there is the research center further out of town - that is one empty parking lot. It must have been quite a place back in the day.

Kodak Research.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    The very odd thing was the digital patents that Kodak owned. How did they let them selves get so far behind the times? I remember photogs with Nikon bodies and that Kodak imager stuck on the back, whopping 2mp resolution, actually I remember the lower resolution ones too.
    Those cams tethered to a PC/printer ran ~ $30,000 in 1995'ish. I think it was 3 MPX but one could get his photo taken and printed almost instantly.

In terms of cameras, Kodak tied itself to the mass market point&shoots, which had a hard time against similar products from its South East Asian based competition. Furthermore, it had to have seen the camera phone explosion (camera sales dropped almost 50% from 2010 to 2013) and properly calculated that the P&S market would be the most effected. Which was an astute decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12