Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Calibrating an older HP monitor
    Hi all,

I have an older HP Dreamcolor Z24X and I've noticed a slight yellow bias to it. Does anyone know how to calibrate this monitor? A relatively cheap solution would be great because I bought it used a few years ago and it's getting pretty long in the tooth...

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I was just in your situation recently. Only difference is I just purchased one refurbished. PC Liquidators has them for around $100. Technically you’re supposed to purchase a very expensive calibrator from HP. The HP one leaves a calibration in the monitor hardware. Which is the optimum “real” way it “should” be done. Any other way, short of adjusting the monitor manually, gives a software calibration only.

I just used a Colormomki and DisplayCal’s free software (which is key— don’t use the xrite software!).

Display cal provides a LUT or a profile you can load in Davinci.

I also use a BenQ Pd2500 which is inexpensive and Technicolor certified at 100%RGB and Rec.709 and has UHD. I toggle back and forth between them for working monitor and color monitor.

The BenQ comes factory calibrated with a paper printout of the response curves and adjustments. In fact, whenever I calibrate it and toggle the calibrated profile on and off, nothing changes.

This setup has been really great for me as an indie filmmaker — your mileage may vary.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

3. Collapse Details
    Were you able to calibrate to BT.1886 gamma with DsiplayCal? What's the problem with Xrite's software?

4. Collapse Details
    For sure. I haven't, but it does it. It's one of those things where it's crazy that it's just free and available for filmmakers. Pretty customizable and powerful IMO.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post
    I was just in your situation recently. Only difference is I just purchased one refurbished. PC Liquidators has them for around $100. Technically you’re supposed to purchase a very expensive calibrator from HP. The HP one leaves a calibration in the monitor hardware. Which is the optimum “real” way it “should” be done. Any other way, short of adjusting the monitor manually, gives a software calibration only.

I just used a Colormomki and DisplayCal’s free software (which is key— don’t use the xrite software!).

Display cal provides a LUT or a profile you can load in Davinci.

I also use a BenQ Pd2500 which is inexpensive and Technicolor certified at 100%RGB and Rec.709 and has UHD. I toggle back and forth between them for working monitor and color monitor.

The BenQ comes factory calibrated with a paper printout of the response curves and adjustments. In fact, whenever I calibrate it and toggle the calibrated profile on and off, nothing changes.

This setup has been really great for me as an indie filmmaker — your mileage may vary.
    Thanks, Jack. Is there a way to calibrate it in Premiere Pro?... I was looking at the BenQ in BH. Is it UHD or 2K?
    Last edited by scorsesefan; 08-02-2020 at 07:21 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    You can't calibrate it in premiere. You can only adjust it manually and really all you can do by eye is brightness contrast with SMPTE bars. To be clear you can't calibrate it within davinci either. The software and hardware calibrator provide a correction that's saved in your computer preferences. Davinci is set up where you can share that color profile with it and it will take that information to make sure the playback or grading windows are presenting images working in tandem for the highest accuracy with the software profile you created in Display cal. So you're not really calibrating it in Davinci, Davi's just using the information DisplayCal gathered and referencing that to send accurate color images to your eyeballs.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post
    You can't calibrate it in premiere. You can only adjust it manually and really all you can do by eye is brightness contrast with SMPTE bars. To be clear you can't calibrate it within davinci either. The software and hardware calibrator provide a correction that's saved in your computer preferences. Davinci is set up where you can share that color profile with it and it will take that information to make sure the playback or grading windows are presenting images working in tandem for the highest accuracy with the software profile you created in Display cal. So you're not really calibrating it in Davinci, Davi's just using the information DisplayCal gathered and referencing that to send accurate color images to your eyeballs.
    Ah, got it... BTW I noticed your avatar. I have an amusing Peter Dinklage story. I live near wburg Brooklyn and I think he must live there or near there. One day I saw a little person on a bike get cut off by an SUV and he punched the driver's side window... Well, it was Dinklage and instead of a horrible road rage incident the guy in the SUV just kept looking at him in awe and probably thinking "Tyrion Lannister just punched my window LOL"...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Ah, got it... BTW I noticed your avatar. I have an amusing Peter Dinklage story. I live near wburg Brooklyn and I think he must live there or near there. One day I saw a little person on a bike get cut off by an SUV and he punched the driver's side window... Well, it was Dinklage and instead of a horrible road rage incident the guy in the SUV just kept looking at him in awe and probably thinking "Tyrion Lannister just punched my window LOL"...
    Haha awesome.

JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

9. Collapse Details
    When you guys are talking about this youre talking about outputting to an external via a blackmagic box or something similar right? Im in the unfortunate position of being neurotic about wanting to have accurate color monitoring but only ever doing an occasional unpaid project where I do any real “grading”, and therefore cant justify the expense of a real setup. Sounds like the profile you use in Davinci would be sent out (via blackmagic box etc) to the external monitor then?

The Colormunkis look like they’re around $150 unless I’m missing something?

10. Collapse Details
    I'm going out to a BM mini monitor but I decided to take Jack's suggestion and go for the Benq 27 inch. Like you said it's like $150 for the calibration tool and the HP is already sort of older tech. If I already owned a Colormunki I would give his workaround a shot...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast