Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Surely though this is like trying to see radio waves. In a Faraday cage you could produce a single emission, but in free space, there are infinite numbers of them, so tracking individual journeys is a problem. How is the background different from the laser source? We can see it. Those photons also travel but are not visible as descrete paths? Confusing science, dumbed down and ruined.
    I dont follow about the radio waves. But re: background vs laser source - I dont think we're seeing individual photons or discrete paths. I think that if the laser were continuously emitting, the shot would probably look normal even though it had a ridiculously high shutter speed. I think the key element is how brief the laser pulse was. I think if they took the same shot of a tungsten filament that was pulsed just as briefly, then assuming that there were atmospheric particles surrounding it to deflect the light, the first frame would show a bright filament and a small sphere of brightness around it. In the next frame, the filament is dark and the sphere has expanded, but only the edge of the sphere is illuminated and the interior is dark again. And in each subsequent frame the sphere expands and the edge gets darker with the inverse square law. We could see the light slowly bounce off a mirror but it would be a broader more diffuse beam. Am I wrong?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Not 70 trillion fps, but then again that other clip isn't really that either (its more like a camera with a 1/70th trillionth of a second shutter, which is an insane feat unto itself). If you want to see what 1M fps footage looks like, this is probably the highest resolution footage at the best quality available. It's also fascinating in it's own way, but I suggest muting the trashy House music. Also, note that it's from 2009, so a lot has happened since then.

https://youtu.be/QfDoQwIAaXg
    I watched the whole damn thing. Actually kind of mesmerizing and hypnotic... Yeah, I partially turned up the music.

Then I watched the next video that played. Some guys shooting different armour-piercing 50 cal rounds at a 1.75 plate of titanium. Winner: 50 cal slap round. That would have been cool to see at a few million fps. Their slow-mo may have been 60fps, max.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12