Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    S1H now has 6K ProRes RAW via Atomos Ninja V

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Yea but sony a7siii has 4k XAVC MP4

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    thanks for that

4. Collapse Details
    I own the S1H and Ninja V, so yesterday I went and put it to the test! I haven't had a chance to look at the footage yet, as I'm on Premiere Pro on Windows, and I have to put in my NVidia graphics card so I can edit it. Here are a few observations:

-Shooting ProRes RAW kills the battery on the Ninja V 50% faster! It's a serious power hog!
    -I was able to shoot 5.9K 24p and 4.1K 60p both in ProRes RAW HQ using a relatively inexpensive 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD. I was concerned that the drive wouldn't be fast enough for either, but I lucked out!
    -I know the Ninja V firmware is in beta, but when I record 5.9K ProRes RAW the display stutters. This isn't the case if I shoot in 4.1K ProRes RAW.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Did you see a kangaroo on the Atomos at any point? You might be skipping/dropping frames.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm glad they offered this and I think some in higher end workflows, FX, etc. will be extremely happy. But it's not something I really see myself using, though if I did it would primarily be to get 4k60p at higher quality than the internal 10-bit 420. With that in mind, 10-bit 420, while not 422, is surprisingly good for most uses.

What would make me more enthusiastic and what I am bummed is not included is the ability to record RAW output from the FHD modes. 120fps and 180fps as RAW output from a FHD recording would be hugely beneficial, and this is perhaps the best use of RAW on the EVA1 (240fps RAW).

7. Collapse Details
    Also, does anyone know why the S1H might not be technically able to record ProRes RAW out over the USB-C port like BMD cameras can? It's a pretty nice solution for keeping things lightweight to record straight to a USB-C ssd rather than having to lug around a large, separately powered monitor + recorder and I'm not sure what hardware limitations may prohibit this (if any).

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Also, does anyone know why the S1H might not be technically able to record ProRes RAW out over the USB-C port like BMD cameras can? It's a pretty nice solution for keeping things lightweight to record straight to a USB-C ssd rather than having to lug around a large, separately powered monitor + recorder and I'm not sure what hardware limitations may prohibit this (if any).
    To do that the camera would need an encoding processor t turn the original uncompressed RAW into ProRes RAW. It would also need a host port for the drive to run it like an accessory outboard drive. That's a bunch of stuff it simply doesn't have so cannot do.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the explanation Mitch, that is helpful

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Did you see a kangaroo on the Atomos at any point? You might be skipping/dropping frames.
    No kangaroo, no skipped frames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast