Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. Collapse Details
    #31
    Senior Member Grug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,986
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    They had it in 4x4 form, it rolled up into a fairly tight diameter for storage and transport, about 4" or so.

    I think it would still be plenty useful for the smaller panel lights as well. To be able to dial in from completely opaque (maximum output with all individual LED's visible) to as opaque as needed to fill evenly with no point sources and anywhere inbetween I think would be a great resource, especially remotely. In the discussion we are having here, let's say you are pushing that panel into the frame of 250 as Sam loves to do. You can start with the active diffusion off for maximum output, and if you have room to come down in intensity, instead of doing so on the output dial you can slowly roll in the opacity until the 250 is completely filled with no center hot spot (if desired). I think we all appreciate the convenience of dialing modern units in on a knob versus adding a scrim, or adjusting the nuance of a color remotely vs having to bring down the light and change out a gel; this is the same idea for the degree of softness.
    Damn, I never saw the 4x4 versions. It'd be so nice to have a few of those on a lighting cart. Or paired with a bi-colour 4x4 LED light blanket on a single frame.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #32
    Director of Photography
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,791
    Default
    Here it was demoed 10 years ago on a 2x2 frame. I saw it over at Zylight in 4x4 and they always promised to get me a piece but it never happened.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkmv63EJuX8

    I was told that what has kept it from market is that the material can be scratched and damaged so it is essentially an expendable, but a very expensive expendable, so it fits into a very narrow niche.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,450
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    Here it was demoed 10 years ago on a 2x2 frame. I saw it over at Zylight in 4x4 and they always promised to get me a piece but it never happened.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkmv63EJuX8

    I was told that what has kept it from market is that the material can be scratched and damaged so it is essentially an expendable, but a very expensive expendable, so it fits into a very narrow niche.
    Can you think of any lighting gags that would benefit from active diffusion?


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #34
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,711
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Can you think of any lighting gags that would benefit from active diffusion?
    Do you mean changing during the shot? Like a cloud passing in front of the sun?


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,450
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Do you mean changing during the shot? Like a cloud passing in front of the sun?
    Yeah, things like TV flicker on faces, police sirens etc.

    Cloud passing in front of the sun would be funny because of the lengths we go to prevent that from happening! But I could see it for an in camera real time time lapse effect.
    Last edited by rob norton; 08-01-2020 at 05:57 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #36
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,711
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Yeah, things like TV flicker on faces, police sirens etc.

    Cloud passing in front of the sun would be funny because of the lengths we go to prevent that from happening! But I could see it for an in camera real time time lapse effect.
    I'm pretty sure in breaking bad - crawl space - that they flew a huge frame of diffusion overhead to do a cloud effect. It's easy to imagine if you just had a 4x4 and someone standing at a window looking out that maybe you do a cloud effect on them like when they're having a dark thought for example


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #37
    Member Peter C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    86
    Default
    Wow that's pretty cool (active diffusion). Obviously too expensive. Lighting gags. who'd thought?


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,450
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I'm pretty sure in breaking bad - crawl space - that they flew a huge frame of diffusion overhead to do a cloud effect. It's easy to imagine if you just had a 4x4 and someone standing at a window looking out that maybe you do a cloud effect on them like when they're having a dark thought for example
    Your example should more accurately (in theory) match a moving cloud vs. dialing in a stationary frame. Except just like a cloud it could be a combination of moving the frame with less intense diffusion to begin with (edge of the cloud) to heavy diffusion (middle of a thick cloud). I'm just brainstorming and could be completely wrong. Sometimes it's best not to overthink the lighting effects and the behind the scenes often look really basic (and sometimes ridiculous!) with excellent results on camera.

    Obviously the most frequent uses of active diffusion would be dialling in the strength on frames in hard to reach places or for pure speed.

    Or perhaps on a stage where there are different times of day where diffused lighting becomes hard lighting, rather than lowering a handful of frames you can continue to shoot through the previously diffused, now translucent frames.

    I was just wondering about cases that would go above and beyond manually diffusion in front of a light.

    At the smaller level, there could be strips placed in a matte box. Even if 1/8 and 1/4 are the most commonly used filter strengths, @$300-$600 per filter, pricing could be comparable. I'm sure the lighting diffusion panel is more basic than the specific matte box filters but who knows?
    Last edited by rob norton; 08-03-2020 at 04:24 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,450
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Wow that's pretty cool (active diffusion). Obviously too expensive. Lighting gags. who'd thought?
    It's too expensive if you can't take advantage of the technology. If people see enough value in the tech, some will argue that they can't afford to use anything else.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •