Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    wireless lav with built-in recorder?
    I recorded an interview using wireless lav mic (sennheiser ew100 g2) and the audio contain bursts of interference sound. I was able to edit out some of them but not all. I want to prevent this from happening again.

I will add a boom mic as a backup, and I want to know if there are any wireless lav mic system with a built-in audio recorder in the transmitter? This way I don't have to worry about radio interference, and since I can hear the voice being recorded, I don't have to worry about unexpected audio problems (e.g. clipping, clothing noise, mic malfunction, etc).

2. Collapse Details
    Pending there is no patent issue for this anymore in the USA (if you live here), there might be some in the future. Along with highly desired 32-bit float recording for everything moving forward.

On a side note, it's not exactly what you're looking for but the DR-10L is popular for the price (and its safety track).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._recorder.html

3. Collapse Details
    It depends on what country you live in. Zaxcom has a patent that prevents any competitors from providing such a device in the US. There are a few offered outside the US. Zaxcom products are top of the line for professional audio people. Very expensive. If you live outside the States, Deity makes modestly priced products that may suit your needs.

https://zaxcom.com/internal-recording-wireless/
    https://www.cinema5d.com/deity-bptrx...onnect-fw-v20/ (note: features disabled in the US)
    Last edited by Paul F; 07-26-2020 at 07:51 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Now that I think of it does seem odd someone hasn't come out with something sooner. Not sure why there would be a patent issue basically a recorder with wireless capability.

I don't know your situation but its standard procedure to record with two sources shotgun and wireless because you usually like to have the ability to mix some ambient to make it sound more natural. The other thing is you should be monitoring it to catch problems. I read a lot of ppl on forums say when I got home... I can't fathom not monitoring audio. The other thing you could do is bring a digital recorder as backup, meaning if you run into interference you have something else to go to.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Because that is how the world works.

Almost everything in your daily life you see or touch is some type of intellectual property that is patented, copyrighted, or trademarked.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by highdefvideo View Post
    I recorded an interview using wireless lav mic (sennheiser ew100 g2) and the audio contain bursts of interference sound. I was able to edit out some of them but not all. I want to prevent this from happening again.

I will add a boom mic as a backup, and I want to know if there are any wireless lav mic system with a built-in audio recorder in the transmitter? This way I don't have to worry about radio interference, and since I can hear the voice being recorded, I don't have to worry about unexpected audio problems (e.g. clipping, clothing noise, mic malfunction, etc).
    I've been waiting for this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y coming in Sept...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    One sure way to avoid interference problem is to use wireless only when absolutely necessary. You'll always bet better sound with a cable, especially for a sit down interview. You lose sound quality on a G3/G4 or other prosumer system and will always risk interference. To use a lav with a cable, you have to get a cheap power adapter to use phantom power with an XLR cable that runs right to your recorder.

If you have to use wireless, are you scanning frequencies before starting? The built-in Sennheiser scanner isn't very good. You can get a frequency scanner fairly cheaply like the RF Explorer. Works pretty well. Or you can upgrade to a better wireless system that has front end tracking. That can be pretty expensive. Recording audio without monitoring can be very risky. You'd never know if the lav is rubbing against something, the cable is bad or rubbing against something or there's some extraneous noise in the background. You also can't modulate the signal if the speaker is too loud or too quiet. Ideally, a good sound guy is your best bet who will handle all of the above.

8. Collapse Details
    For sit downs, most of the time, we boom(at least if the shot or environment allows it). If we feel we need to double up, we boom and run a hardwired lav. Usually the only time we run wireless lav's in a sit-down situation is if the shot dictates it(i.e.: really wide slider shot seeing head to toe or jib that would show cables). The RF environment is just so ridiculously hostile today and it's only getting worse. Even with expensive, high powered systems in frequency coordinated environments I've taken hits, dropouts and interference with only feet between Tx and Rx.

9. Collapse Details
    And the Zaxcom patent is just further proof of how dumb the US patent system is.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Maybe it's time for an enterprising young lad to begin distributing foreign puchased Zaxcom units that "fell off a truck."

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast