Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS2 View Post
    Oh it's just that I thought that if they are wearing masks it will come off as awkward. I mean I already have the script, so I already have the plot down, but was just wondering if wearing covid masks in the script will come off as awkward.
    You'll have to make changes if the world of the story has changed. People don't wear covid masks or other covid face coverings all the time, only in public spaces or when they're at work. If you're a good writer and/or director it won't be awkward because you'll know how to use the masks dramatically. If you have difficulties with these roles there's a good chance of this being awkward. In the end, it depends on how good your imagination is and no one on a forum can give you that. It may be a reason reduce the amount of dialogue you use.

There are many types of designs used on masks, so that a good starting point of you wish to take the mask route.

This seems like old ground from another forum.

2. Collapse Details
    Oh okay, but what do the designs on the masks have to do with it? Just cause they are more photogenic?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    If you shoot a ski movie you don't have the skiers wear snoods or masks that they often wear through choice. You don't make an underwater movie with the main dialogue scenes underwater. Top gun had to get tom cruise to take his mask off to speak, despite the only real microphone being inside the mask. Mouth visibility seems to be proven as essential. Deviate at the risk of being laughed at, even if it's realistic.
    Yeah that's true. I mean in a movie like Die Hard for example, why didn't the terrorists where masks and not show their faces to everyone... Because the director did not want them in masks the whole time...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS2 View Post
    Oh okay, but what do the designs on the masks have to do with it? Just cause they are more photogenic?
    The choice of design by the character can reveal something about how they see themselves. Look at the range of masks that you see at the protests currently going on.

Sometimes you need to think about things a bit before you post, this seems to be a characteristic that you have. As a writer, you need some horizontal thinking, rather than just vertical thinking.

In a post covid world you may find that masks are quite common, especially in large cities, where your film is supposed to be set.

As I mentioned earlier, people don't always wear masks, you can use that. Work places have clear plastic screens between workstations and other features that have creative possibilities.

You shouldn't expect to get all your answers on forums or from other people.

I was watching "The Post" last night and there's a scene where Katharine Graham, the new woman owner of the Washington Post, has to make a decision about publishing the Pentagon Papers when all the financial and legal people were against doing so. As a director, that's the type of decision you may have to make on a film.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Oh okay. But even though the characters do not have to wear masks, what if the actors will not want to make a movie without doing so, is the dilemma. Well as wanting to be direct, as a director, my instincts tell me that having the actors wear masks is going to ruin the movie, but was thinking maybe I am wrong, so I asked others. But that is what my instincts tell me.

6. Collapse Details
    You should so as you feel, since it's unlikely you'll do a good job if you don't believe in what you're doing.

I assume that this thread is now at an end now that you've made a decision.

7. Collapse Details
    Well in that case, should I try to convince actors not to wear masks during shooting then, or is that a bad idea?

8. Collapse Details
    You should read the COVID 19 guide lines provided for the Canadian film and TV regarding working practices. As the director, you'll have to find ways of working with the actors and the crew using these guide lines. It's not really up to forum users to advice anything else. Films are now being shot, so there are ways of doing things.

This was discussed on another forum.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by briandrys1 View Post
    You should read the COVID 19 guide lines provided for the Canadian film and TV regarding working practices.
    This.

If you decide to try and make this movie and you ignore these guidelines, and there’s an outbreak on your set, you have liability.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

10. Collapse Details
    I believe that this thread has provided some thoughtful and diverse comments on this subject.

Time to move on.
    Last edited by David Saraceno; 07-26-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234