Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The fan noise/reactions should stay consistent no matter where the games are broadcasted, so I'm assuming any anomalies are random production errors as the kinks get ironed out.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It gets your blood flowing.
    For sure. We are doing a panel discussion rehearsal makeup today for a live stream scheduled for Thursday of this week. Last weeks rehearsal with the panelists had to be canceled when both of our ISPs had problems. Both Spectrum Business Class (primary) and then AT&T (backup) both
    had weird anomalies (Data packet loss) that caused our system to not be able to work, even Speedtest.net was showing perfect data rates and flow. We were getting service, it's just that the ISPs servers were dishing out corrupt data. Weird problem we've never enountered before.

Not happy clients and panelists, we stayed up all night trying to figure out what the failure points were, it was rough. We tested with the clients yesterday and it worked perfectly, re-doing the rehearsal today with the panelists and client, fingers crossed. It's so frustrating when you do
    your job well, have a Plan B and even though you have Plan B, Plan A and B don't work. We are trying to develop a plan C but like most places in the United States, you can only get Internet service from a max of two providers. so not sure what a Plan C is looking like?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Which brings up the question, is the crowd noise being controlled by the home team or by production?
    MLB produces the sounds and they are heard in the stadium. They didn't say who controls the sounds other than saying the MLB. This is fed to the broadcasters who can additionally sweeten the sound, so Fox says. But they didn't say how. Since MLB controls the sounds, not sure what the broadcasters would do on top of what MLB does. They must have some agreement about that.

MLB has about 75 sounds and reactions. No boos or jeers.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    ... We are trying to develop a plan C but like most places in the United States, you can only get Internet service from a max of two providers. so not sure what a Plan C is looking like?
    What's going on with 5G mobile? Given its bandwidth and low latency, on paper, it looks good. Have you seen it offered for use?

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Seeing cardboard cutouts in the stands of a baseball stadium definitely brings back some memories. I worked on two baseball movies a couple of decades ago ("Major League 3" and "Mr. 3000") and we used cutouts for seat filling on both. Sometimes they'd sprinkle a few real humans amongst the cutouts to give some movement, depending on how far away the crowd was. We never had enough cutouts to fill the whole stadium so we'd move them from section to section. As the operator I'd give notes to one of the AD's on the parameters of the frame and a small army of people would shlep them into place. By 2003 when we were doing "Mr. 3000" the VFX option was more available but it still came with enough cost that we had to mix and match techniques. Sometimes when we were figuring out shots I'd have to add up how many sections of stadium we were going to see and report that to the producer, who would call VFX and get an estimate on cost, and we'd adjust the shot accordingly. The downside of the "flat people" was that they were just that, and if you were shooting at an angle to the stands the illusion would be broken (I can recall one particular shot in "Mr 3000" where this is really obvious if you know where to look). Around that time the cutouts were being replaced by blow up figures for this reason, but not long after that it it became cost-effective to do crowd replacement via VFX.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

6. Collapse Details
    Besides the cardboard cutouts, yesterday they added fake crowds doing a wave in the outfield. The shot was a pan of the crowd as they did the wave. It wasn't clear to me that this was a pre-made comp or if they laid the crowd in live. Clearly fake. The animation was jerky. But it was kind of fun anyway.

7. Collapse Details
    Normally when I hear people talking about fan noise, it is sound giving the evil eye about some camera that won't stop overheating.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    And I know we're talking about sports broadcasts, not "news", but from an integrity stand-point, I'd think the home team should control the "crowd noise", especially the reactionary sound, not the national broadcast.
    I can see that will cause as much discussion as some of the referees decisions :-)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    have a Plan B and even though you have Plan B, Plan A and B don't work. We are trying to develop a plan C but like most places in the United States, you can only get Internet service from a max of two providers. so not sure what a Plan C is looking like?
    Satellite up-link? I was offered HD at 30 an hour last year.

10. Collapse Details
    I'm watching the Los Angeles - Oakland game. The crowd sound is poor. If the MLB is providing the effects as reported and it is the same library for all games, then the broadcast mixer is doing something bad to it. It has the high end chopped off. It sounds like reverb was added and almost as if a bit of flanger was added. It's off-putting compared to yesterday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast