Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I agree for the most part. The client did bring up the boring part so it isn't something I'm imagining. They want to add interest but I agree the use of the angles should support whats going on otherwise different shots for added interest will be distracting.

The other thing they mentioned is lighting. I do have my led panels, I was thinking of positioning them 8' from the officiant far enough to keep them out of the medium shot but that would then preclude any wide shots.

Obviously much of this I'll need to decide upon when I run a test.
    Roger that. Here's my thoughts on the order of priorities:

1. Clean sound - if the audio is hard to listen to, nothing else will matter

2. Lighting on the officiant (and less so on the singer) - people are going to be staring at him a lot, and he's your client. If I had to move my lights so close to make him look good and then could no longer shoot a wide shot, I would forget the wide shot. More important for him to look good

3. B-roll - I took a quick look for rosh hashanah material on google images labeled for reuse. Not really good stuff there. I think your instinct to shoot the synagogue is smart.

I would take still photos and Ken burns them in editing. That will be faster than shooting and editing video. You can get lots of details around the building and from prayer books. The rabbi could direct you.

They may also have photos from synagogue functions from past years you could use if they think that's appropriate. Celebrating the community is a big part of synagogue life

Rosh hashanah is a celebratory new year holiday where people eat apples and honey so they'll have a sweet new year. They probably have photos of cute kids eating apples and honey at synagogue. Whether they want to use them is their call

Yom kipper is a somber holiday of repentance and fasting. Not so celebratory

2. Collapse Details
    This is going to sound too easy. But I say it's totally fine to just point the camera at the subject, lock it down, don't cut. I am someone who watches religious services during our friendly neighborhood lockdown, and I would prefer a simple camera style. If it's just one camera, that's fine.

I'm only middle aged, but I'm usually annoyed by overproduction, not bored by underproduction. I know, it's so hard to just let it breathe. In the early 2000s, I shot a lot of weddings, with 1 or 2 cameras. I would try to spice it up with all sorts of cutting and camera movement. It didn't work. Watching them now drives me crazy. I get the same feeling from other people's videos (annoying, awesome).

Now, I'm only speaking of interviews, speeches, and formal ceremonies. I totally dig a quick-cutting music video. I'm developing a theory that the audio track is what gives a video its structure. The editing should follow the audio. In my wedding ceremonies, I was trying to edit like a music video, but the soundtrack was some guy slowly talking. It didn't fit!

Also the type of video determines the leeway in style. With a music video, almost anything is allowed. With wedding ceremonies, almost everything extra I did feels artificial and imposed. I cut to a nice shot of the stained glass window, and it just looked like my mind is wandering.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 07-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    aHalpert: Thanks for the tips especially the mood of each holiday apples etc, lighting, broll

They're bringing in a sound guy but I'll have my wireless lav for the officiant at the ready.

combatentropy: this is being manage by a committee. so I'm going to give them what they want. not to say I don't disagree with you. no need to go overboard
    Last edited by Peter C.; 07-20-2020 at 08:42 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    How about using references in the sermon to find relevant Pond5 clips to insert to illustrate points being made?

5. Collapse Details
    As mentioned, stills with Ken Burns effect I find often works fine for broll. Maybe have someone highlight some passages from the Torah that are relevant to the message and capture those to add in too. If there is lighting of candles that may be something to add. Maybe have the organist record some music that you can use.

6. Collapse Details
    I expect that you will find your first effort may be different from what you and the committee settles on as this develops.

I have been the volunteer videographer for my local Lutheran church ... podcasts for 18 months ... to recorded services for online viewing ...
    the church is now semi-open but most of the older congregation watches live stream of two services weekly.

As the flow of the service will dictate the presentation ... some of the filming can be done at different times ... music versus message and service.

Here is one of the pre-recorded services prior to opening ... Full screen for long scripture verses and windowed additions during the sermon. The music
    for this was filmed by the organist ... who has great musical skills but less so for color correction ... and I did not want to improve on his best efforts. So the overall look is a bit different ... music versus the rest of the service. Goes without saying that you want the A/C off during filming and if you can grab a feed from the soundboard of the presenter's mike it helps.

https://vimeo.com/405865016

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    I expect that you will find your first effort may be different from what you and the committee settles on as this develops.

I have been the volunteer videographer for my local Lutheran church ... podcasts for 18 months ... to recorded services for online viewing ...
    the church is now semi-open but most of the older congregation watches live stream of two services weekly.

As the flow of the service will dictate the presentation ... some of the filming can be done at different times ... music versus message and service.

Here is one of the pre-recorded services prior to opening ... Full screen for long scripture verses and windowed additions during the sermon. The music
    for this was filmed by the organist ... who has great musical skills but less so for color correction ... and I did not want to improve on his best efforts. So the overall look is a bit different ... music versus the rest of the service. Goes without saying that you want the A/C off during filming and if you can grab a feed from the soundboard of the presenter's mike it helps.

https://vimeo.com/405865016
    Thank you for sharing your video. That was very well done.

I liked:
    - the overall flow, feel, and simplicity
    - mixture of photos, text, broll
    - off centered shot
    - organist
    - stain glass graphic

The only thing that I noticed that could be improved was the audio. When the organist/pianist sings his instrument over powers his voice. The officiant voice sounds hallow. A lavaliere mic would have fixed these issues. Otherwise fantastic job gives me something to shoot for.

8. Collapse Details
    Music was all done by the organist ... so it was not very balanced. He resigned soon thereafter as he feared the opening of the church.
    At that point we went to canned public domain hymns which sounded much better.

The lavaliere mic was used ... 100 feet of XLR from the soundboard at the back of the sanctuary from the wireless receiver and amp .... the original was very flat and dry as the mic was an over the ear cheek style ... I added some "atmosphere" with iZotope ... guess I overdid it.
    Empty spaces can be a bit difficult ....

Here is the same setup with a different presenter:

https://vimeo.com/405600216

Movement and multiple angles can work but most services might take on an aura of entertainment if overdone.
    Last edited by docmoore; 07-21-2020 at 08:52 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Music was all done by the organist ... so it was not very balanced. He resigned soon thereafter as he feared the opening of the church.
    At that point we went to canned public domain hymns which sounded much better.

The lavaliere mic was used ... 100 feet of XLR from the soundboard at the back of the sanctuary from the wireless receiver and amp .... the original was very flat and dry as the mic was an over the ear cheek style ... I added some "atmosphere" with iZotope ... guess I overdid it.
    Empty spaces can be a bit difficult ....

Here is the same setup with a different presenter:

https://vimeo.com/405600216

Movement and multiple angles can work but most services might take on an aura of entertainment if overdone.
    This second video at 13:00 pianist audio is much better, I can hear him singing.
    I'm still not a fan of the officiant audio. I notice it but I'm a techie. It's not distracting, probably fine for your purposes.

10. Collapse Details
    I will be going to the location tomorrow, I'm going to bring my equipment to do a test. On their website I was able to see photos of the sanctuary https://cbict.org/facilities/ (bottom left). Two issues I can see is that the altar is high up and there isn't any room in front of it to put the lights. They would need to be on the steps or down below, so I'll need a very tall tripod and c-stands to get the lights high enough. I was contemplating buying additional lighting. Any suggestions on setup?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast