Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Subscription Software - It's Moving to Cars
    BMW is toying with the idea of owners paying a subscription for features. Things like heated steering wheel or braking assist would have a subscription fee. It is proposed that owners could sign up for features for a few months or years. How far will Adobe's subscription idea go?

2. Collapse Details
    Pretty soon you'll have to put a quarter in to start the engine

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Cars-by-subscription programs have been around a while.

https://www.autoblog.com/car-subscription-services/

4. Collapse Details
    This is different. You own the car and subscribe to features. If you fail to make a subscription payment for the heated seat, it stops working. When you sell the car, the new owner can decide what features they want to subscribe to.

5. Collapse Details
    In 1975 I spent a year at Oxford University studying Theology ...

First Trimester I lived in a dorm room ... no heat but for a radiant grill in the wall ... needed 50P to start it up. Turns out mine was broken
    and worked without the toll ... cold winter ... could see your breath in bed and in the shower. So I would flip the switch to heat the grill, climb back under the
    covers and when the chair and clothes for the day next to the grill were warm ... rush to change and off to breakfast of cold coffee, stale toast and
    mixed grill ....

Less than today's quarter but interesting take on economics ...
    Last edited by docmoore; 07-08-2020 at 08:49 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    This is different. You own the car and subscribe to features. If you fail to make a subscription payment for the heated seat, it stops working. When you sell the car, the new owner can decide what features they want to subscribe to.
    Started with leasing the vehicle ... then security and satellite communication for nav and assistance ... just expanding the theme.

Truth is they will price themselves out of a large part of the market .... however the younger generation will not realize what autonomy they lose
    to subscribe to the hive ...

7. Collapse Details

Both BMW and Audi are either cancelling or pausing their respective vehicle subscription programs, Automotive News reports. This is yet another blow to what was once a growing and burgeoning group of automakers introducing pay-as-you-go vehicle subscription options in a number of cities across the U.S. Both Mercedes-Benz and Ford shut down their services last year, and Cadillac turned off the tap in 2018.
    https://www.yahoo.com/autos/both-bmw...140000168.html

8. Collapse Details
    This sort of stuff is a conspiracy that’s not a theory, it just is. The perpetual move to keep consumers from owning anything is problematic and in some ways more than a little concerning.

There’s enough incentive there to get us interested, but the Overton window is shifting. What will prices on all our subscriptions be once we’re hooked and there’s no alternative?

Rent your home, your cars, your entertainment, your phone, everything. There are more obstacles than ever to building net worth, at least in any traditional sense, and the pace is quickening.

Though I’m not worried about BMW so much; I suspect the push to self driving electric cars that work like uber without humans will begin to replace vehicle ownership. With a subscription model available, of course.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    ... no heat but for a radiant grill in the wall ... needed 50P to start it up.
    and work ... could see your breath in bed and in the shower. So I would flip the switch to heat the grill, climb back under the
    covers and when the chair and clothes for the day next to the grill were warm ... rush to change and off to breakfast of cold coffee, stale toast and
    mixed grill ....
    Oooh! The memories. Mine were Bristol '65. But it was a "Florin" for gas... two Bob in the meter in the hall back then. Thanks for the memory jolt.

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    Yep... all part of The Great Reset, aka global corporate communism. “You’ll own nothing, but be ‘happy.” Read more about the future chosen for us via the World Economic Forum.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast