1. Collapse Details
    HDMI Monitor for DVX100B?
    Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've had a DVX100B for some time but I find it difficult to to nail focus because the viewfinder screen is so tiny and the display isn't the sharpest or most legible in the world. Autofocus (at least in 24p mode) is a sluggish bust.

I've heard that you can use an RCA to HDMI adapter to connect an HDMI monitor to the DVX. Is that true? Also would I be able to monitor in 4:3? I do have an Atomos Shinobi that has a desqueeze option, so if the adapter converts automatically to 16:9 it should be possible to force it through 1.33x squeeze to properly display the 4:3 frame right? (I may be off the mark, I'm not very technically savvy.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

- Luka

2. Collapse Details
    In theory, it should work but since the resolution is so poor, I'm not sure the 5" monitor would help much. Maybe though.

As far as the de-squeeze option, it's most likely for anamorphic filming, but at least you could pick up an adapter for a few dollars to test all of this since you already have the monitor.

3. Collapse Details
    Well, you could certainly use a composite video to HDMI converter device. I see 'em listed on Amazon for around $15 or so. I haven't tried one, so I don't know how well it's going to work, but assuming the converter is decent quality, I would assume that the Shinobi display is going to be a lot crisper than the DVX100's LCD. Seems like an inexpensive gamble. Gotta figure out how to power it though; the ones I looked at need USB power input, so you might need one of those battery USB things to power it.

4. Collapse Details
    Okay, thanks guys! I'll go ahead and give it a whirl—will report back once I try this out

5. Collapse Details
    Seems kind of dumb to be honest? Why go through the trouble of spider webbing your DVX rig with cables and adapters to use a monitor it wasnt made for? Im all about DIY but theres no way you are going to get results that you could get with the nicest monitor using the RCA plugs it comes with. There are lots of SD monitors that surpass the LCD of the DVX100s.
    Cameras
    RED SCARLET X 5K

LENSES
    Sigma 18-35 F1.8 ART Zoom Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-PCD20 P2 Deck

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

6. Collapse Details
    can you hook up an iPhone as a monitor just asking? I use an iPhone to see with when flying my drones ?

7. Collapse Details
    I looked into getting a neewer video monitor, it said it had focus peaking built in. I did message the company to see if the focus peaking worked on a composite cable, and they said it did. I’m hoping to get it and try it out
    https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-1280x8.../dp/B077FTPT46

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by flash roberts View Post
    can you hook up an iPhone as a monitor just asking? I use an iPhone to see with when flying my drones ?
    A DVX100 is not a drone... so no you cant....
    Cameras
    RED SCARLET X 5K

LENSES
    Sigma 18-35 F1.8 ART Zoom Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-PCD20 P2 Deck

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

9. Collapse Details
    I would use the s-video out instead of the composite, works well for me with my converter. Peace!

10. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    "nailing focus" on a 1/3" chip SD camera is kind of liking throwing a brick at a dart board--a lot of leeway there! This may be something you already know, but just in case not--the legacy routine of finding focus for video cameras is zoom in, focus, pull back to original framing. If you have an external follow focus you can then mark your ring. Otherwise, generally just getting it in the ballpark suffices for most situations. At the telephoto end of the zoom you can usually see that critical focus in the viewfinder anyway.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com