Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    P2 Transfer - Best Practice
    P2 card rookie here. P2 Cards will either be in an HPG20 or Sonnet Thunderbolt P2 Card Reader. Looking for the best practice of transferring P2 footage to my Mac for editing in FCPX? I'm on a 2015 Macbook Pro with MacOS Mojave. Seeing P2CMS was supported up to MacOS Lion, what is my alternative or best practice for transferring footage from the P2 card to either my Macbook Pro or external hard drive? Want to make sure my transfer is 100% verified before I delete the footage off my P2 cards. I know the MacOS had issues in the past when transferring footage(CONTENTS folder & LAST CLIP.txt) directly from the P2 card to the Mac. Is this still the case? Thanks for your feedback.

2. Collapse Details
    Since 2013, I've imported various P2 material into all kinds of Macs straight into FCP X.

Some of it at that time may have been converted to ProRes upon import (which is mandatory for some footage unless the clips are a supported file type that don't need transcoding). I never had any issues with anything. Maybe you came across something that wasn't updated then? Or didn't have a FCP X support update ready yet? (Like a new camera.)

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the quick reply Norbro. Am I fine transferring the CONTENTS folder & LAST CLIP.txt and drag it to my Mac desktop or connected external drive?

4. Collapse Details
    The best way is to plug the card into the reader then the reader into the computer. And then open up FCP X and choose file --> import --> media.

Choose the card/device on the left (you'll see it), and then choose 'import all' or 'import selected' (if you're selecting) on the bottom-right. Also make sure 'copy to library' is selected.

Definitely do not touch anything on the card. (No dragging and dropping to desktop.)

If you can't read the files then FCP X most likely needs an update from Apple and/or Panasonic.

5. Collapse Details
    Also, technically you can copy-and-paste everything from a card into a folder onto the desktop or a drive, and FCP X will read the folder in the same manner as the card (it will think it's a card), but you have to be absolutely certain you're copying-and-pasting everything correctly (same file structure).

Normally, it's best to import everything into FCP X as described above...AND...copy-and-paste the contents of the cards into folders (Folder 1/Card 1, Folder 2/Card 2, etc) as a back-up.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the FCPX import workflow. When not using FCPX, for example, handing off footage to client, what would be the best way fool proof way to transfer the footage from P2 card to their portable drive?

7. Collapse Details
    Personally, I've always done it out in the field as I recommended above as the back-up method...the copying-and-pasting everything from the root of the card into folders. Very easy and works well for me, especially with large cards because by the end of the day I'd only have 3-4 folders (with hundreds of clips inside each one).

If you have smaller cards, it could get messy quickly but it's doable.

You obviously have to make sure the transfer goes through well though because if it doesn't and you format the card(s) then the footage is most likely gone (or a lot of it).

There are probably some transfer programs out there that help you make sure it does, but at that point it's like the same process as just using a NLE to import.

8. Collapse Details
    P.S. Maybe check this one out: https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sale.../p2viewerplus/

Which camera, btw?

9. Collapse Details
    I checked out P2 Viewerplus...not very intuitive....figuring out how to transfer my footage with this....I have a Varicam HDC27H and going HD-SDI out to an HPG20(attached to a rear bracket). Thanks for your help Norbro!

10. Collapse Details
    Did you try copying-and-pasting all?

It’s really the simplest method since there is nothing involved besides creating a folder on your drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast