Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    hopefully they will give magnification during filming or so enhanced way to guage focus. Peaking for 4K is too inaccurate.
    I believe you can already punch in for focus during recording on the other Sony mirrorless cams. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

2. Collapse Details
    Looks to be a great choice for those with E glass!

Honestly ... resolution is a small part of the viewing process ... DR and framerate/lag are more likely the determinants for most
    folks ... 4K cartoon still looks like a cartoon ... and if you can focus correctly and ignore the dynamics of EVF ... it will be great.
    The ability to lower the contrast to see into the shadows without blur and excessive grain may for some be more important than
    ultimate resoving ability.

Zacuto has a good video discussing their new Kameleon ... 1920x1080 versus the older Gratical 720 display ... and they admit that
    at the viewing distances of the EVFs both will appear as sharp.

As long as the new EVF approaches or surpasses the A7R IV EVF one should be able to focus without difficulty ... moot point as most
    are so tied to AF that the EVF really becomes a framing device.

Androidlad on EOSHD specs the EVF at 2048x1536 ... current high-end RVF at 1600x1200 ... so 50% increase in resolution ...
    Last edited by docmoore; 07-04-2020 at 07:08 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Interesting take, docmoore. I agree with everything, including the fact that, since a key selling point is the AF, having a high-res EVF is less important.

My Lumix S1 that I recently sold had a great EVF but I didn't frequently use it.

I don't have any E mount glass, all EF. So that's a factor in considering R5 vs A7SIII. But I think EF glass will not autofocus as well as some of the RF glass (or ar least not as well as the STM lenses for video AF, and mine are probably all USM).

The Sony 24-105 looks very good, and I hope it would cover the situations where I want AF. Maybe plus a fast normal prime

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Nice review, Dan. Your frame grabs look great... In your opinion is the FX9's color science significantly better than the FS7's?
    Yes. I have always really disliked the FS7 color and I really dug the FX9 color straight out of camera. Most importantly, S-Cinetone gives you very nice skin tones straight out of camera.
    Huge difference IMHO.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 07-05-2020 at 06:47 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Of course sony can tweak the firmware.

1) make a great camera
    2) turn all the good stuff off if the R5 doesnt demand that it is there.

F5 anyone? (dont remember?)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Yes. I habve always really disliked the FS7 color and I really dug the FX9 color straight out of camera. Most importantly, S-Cinetone gives you very nice skin tones straight out of camera.
    Huge difference IMHO.
    The fact that everyone cheers now for the nice sooc colors just illustrates how bad it was before. A friend bought the FX9 and it still can’t compete with Panasonic or Canon colors imho. Another big handicap for those who own a FS7 and keep it as b-cam: it’s not consistent to the FX9. Panasonic S1 series, EVA1 and the Varicams match great and so does the Cinema series from Canon probably also with the R5.
    For me it was a big move 2 yrs ago to ditch the FS7 with a big arsenal of lenses and accessories but I didn’t regret it for a second. Finally Canon gave up the crippling and the C300iii was no question for me. It ticks almost all boxes On my virtual wishlist and added some features I would have dreamed of. AF in 120p is fantastic. Variable ND would have been great and a horizon index too but I can live without it. It’s fantastic how CLog2 with the wide DR REC709 LUT nails the image. Sorry for hijacking the thread

7. Collapse Details
    EF glass on the R adapters seem to be stellar for AF ... and you have the great option of the ND filter adapter.

Beats the zip box with two 0.9 ND filters I had on my 1DX III yesterday.

With EF glass you can take your time moving to the R glass ... but it is all focus by wire so you may still prefer direct focus with hard stops.

Best to wait a bit until both are in use ... see where the complaints land ...

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    The fact that everyone cheers now for the nice sooc colors just illustrates how bad it was before. A friend bought the FX9 and it still can’t compete with Panasonic or Canon colors imho. Another big handicap for those who own a FS7 and keep it as b-cam: it’s not consistent to the FX9. Panasonic S1 series, EVA1 and the Varicams match great and so does the Cinema series from Canon probably also with the R5.
    For me it was a big move 2 yrs ago to ditch the FS7 with a big arsenal of lenses and accessories but I didn’t regret it for a second. Finally Canon gave up the crippling and the C300iii was no question for me. It ticks almost all boxes On my virtual wishlist and added some features I would have dreamed of. AF in 120p is fantastic. Variable ND would have been great and a horizon index too but I can live without it. It’s fantastic how CLog2 with the wide DR REC709 LUT nails the image. Sorry for hijacking the thread
    Hijack away!

One major consideration in R5 vs A7SIII is which brand I want to continue to invest in.

I actually really like cinetone. In some ways it seems more interesting than canon colors. I'd be happy with either.

But no it definitely doesn't match fs7. If clients catch onto that, it will diminish the value of having "matching Sony" cameras.

And if I were to dump my fs7 for an fx9, i'd rather get a c300iii.

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    EF glass on the R adapters seem to be stellar for AF ... and you have the great option of the ND filter adapter.

Best to wait a bit until both are in use ... see where the complaints land ...
    If that's true, it's certainly a big plus for the R5 for me. But yes, I'll wait to buy until black friday or early next year, once all the warts are revealed. (If the R5 is a jello cam, it's DOA. Though the R6 will probably do better.)

And to be honest, I will factor hype into this purchase choice. Hype matters to those who care. My S1 wouldn't have gotten any respect if people hadn't heard of the S1H and were confused. I will be consulting Google Trends as a consideration - where the R5 is riding high.

9. Collapse Details
    It's just perplexing that Sony has such problems/inconsistency with their color science (with the exception of the fx9 it seems) I love my fs5/a7iii with the exception of the skin tones which always seem too blue/green to me...

10. Collapse Details
    There are rumors that, as soon as A7SIII is released, Fuji will disable the on/off button on XT4 with a firmware upgrade.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast