Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Well, I think the A7S3 can keep a lot of highlight detail and produce a nice roll-off. I just mean that a lot of cameras lose chroma info even when they keep luma gradient at the top of their exposure range. I found this neat tool at the digital picture recently which has a series of color charts at different exposures, and you can see how the color from green/yellow just vanishes on the R5 at 3 stops overexposure: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...=0&ISOComp=100
    Attachment 139885

I think that's what happened here - that the camera was well-overexposed and the sky comes out looking gray:
    Attachment 139883

But as far as highlight handling, especially for a properly exposed shot, I'm feeling very good about this:
    Attachment 139884
    Take a look at Philip Bloom's short - both colour and highlights look remarkable. Of course it was shot in RAW, but your screenshots show the internal recording handles highlights remarkably well too.

https://philipbloom.net/blog/sonya7siii/

https://vimeo.com/441676150

According to Bloom, focus racking was done using the Autofocus!

Looks like Sony crammed $10,000+ worth of camera in a tiny tiny mirror less body. This is not about 6k or 8k - this is about having a camera which reliably gives you footage on par with the best of the best.
    Last edited by tull_power; 07-30-2020 at 07:01 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tull_power View Post
    Take a look at Philip Bloom's short - both colour and highlights look remarkable. Of course it was shot in RAW, but your screenshots show the internal recording handles highlights remarkably well too.
    in fairness to matti who shot the boating samples - he was vlogging and adjusting exposure intermittently at arm's length. i'm sure when you're behind the camera like bloom was, you can get much more consistent results

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    in fairness to matti who shot the boating samples - he was vlogging and adjusting exposure intermittently at arm's length. i'm sure when you're behind the camera like bloom was, you can get much more consistent results
    You hit the nail on the head - while not blaming Mattti (or anyone) - these vlogger kind of review are more entertainment then anything else, which is why, as I've posted earlier, I appreciate more Allard and Behiri's kind of reviews, where they use the camera for a length of time day to day - and then show us both the results and their views as seasoned cameraman.

4. Collapse Details
    ok dan watson reran his overheating test with better methodology and set the a7s3 overheat limit to high. 29 minutes of rec time on the a7s3 and 34 on the r5 before overheating. this is in 4k60

of course, the r5 has a heat advantage in 4k60 because it's not doing a full readout

so 4k60 recording in hot conditions is something to be careful with. i think that even when i'm rolling 4k60 continuously, i'm usually only filming 50% of the time. hopefully i will never overheat.

more importantly - i think 4k24p will be solid. he did not test it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-SAUNuBCNM

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    The heat wave continues... This video shows the Sony overheating before the R5 in 4k60.
    Philip Bloom just announced he did extensive heat testing on the A7SIII for several days. He used a heat lamp and got the camera so hot it started smoking. Despite that he said it was difficult to make it shut down. He shot for days on a hot sunny beach using 4k/120 and 4k/60, and never had it overheat in actual use.

When through extreme measures he artificially forced a thermal shutdown, he said it recovered very quickly -- after 1-2 min it was ready to go for long-duration takes. He considers it as professional and usable for real world conditions as the S1H.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Philip Bloom just announced he did extensive heat testing on the A7SIII for several days. He used a heat lamp and got the camera so hot it started smoking. Despite that he said it was difficult to make it shut down. He shot for days on a hot sunny beach using 4k/120 and 4k/60, and never had it overheat in actual use.

When through extreme measures he artificially forced a thermal shutdown, he said it recovered very quickly -- after 1-2 min it was ready to go for long-duration takes.
    i'm feeling good about the a7s3 heat situation. but sony paid bloom, so i don't think he's unbiased. sony themselves said it can overheat in 4k60. i don't think it will be a problem for me, though. i think it's fine

7. Collapse Details
    And we have a menu walk-through: https://youtu.be/zNqUvgREN5s

I think the organization looks great. I don't give a damn what the colors are . This is going to tire my brain out less digging through

8. Collapse Details
    anyone have any links to some off camera files of people from the a7s iii?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Silenkiller View Post
    anyone have any links to some off camera files of people from the a7s iii?
    I've found some raw files from Italy and a few of some birds next to a beach somewhere, but none showing anything else that can be downloaded.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

10. Collapse Details
    Tony Northrup has files available for download on his Google Drive but they are just of one room.

Probably best to take screenshots of S-Log2/3 from YouTube and grade that until someone can share original material.

Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast