Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Anybody using tungsten still?
    Anybody using tungsten still? If so which units and when you use them over LEDs?

2. Collapse Details
    I've stated on here countless times that I'm a dyed-in-the-wool tungsten guy, but I am having a hard time right now remembering the last time I used one of my tungsten fixtures. My guess is it had to gave been well over a year ago or more. As a matter of fact, I've completely pulled all of my tungsten out of my truck and it's all sitting in storage. Three Pelican 1650's full and at least two more 1650's worth loose. I did load a few Source Four's up earlier this year for a big shoot, just in-case, but didn't need them.

LED's have gotten to the point where with most of the quality fixtures the quality of light is really good(I hate the term 'good enough') and isn't a big compromise anymore and the conveniences, like bi-color/RGBWW(and other variations of that), battery power and wireless control, have just put them over the edge for most general use cases.

But, they still need to get LED fresnels on par with tungsten fresnels and true HMI equivalents.

And with all of that said, I'll probably never get rid of my tungsten(or HMI's), even if they just sits collecting dust, because you never know...

3. Collapse Details
    I reckon LED still has a huge hole in red making skin look rubbinsh.

Obviously I use LED 99% of time but if I had some time for art Id look at my three 800s again.

There was a link on a thread recently where an led maker was actually thinking aout red.

4. Collapse Details
    John Brawley said he used tungsten extensively in his recent Hulu show The Great. He wrote the following on dvxuser:

"I LOVE tungsten because they are CHEAP and the light from them is beautiful and still isn't matched by LED in terms of spectrum. The downsides is HEAT which is a problem in period costumes and power consumption.

HMI is not a very "pretty" light. It's missing in spectrum and individual lamps vary a lot in colour. A huge amount actually. Line up 6 HMI's and you'll get 6 different colour lights, from 6000-8000 and some with green. You can gel and correct them of course, change the globes, but it's a bit more hassle. Take time to warm up, can't be as easily dimmed. They are really bright of course, but I find on stage Tungsten looks prettier and just works."

I personally use mostly LEDs. But I was color correcting a webisode recently that I shot before the lockdown. It's a mix of daylight coming through windows, my LEDs, and tungsten practicals. The light off the practicals definitely looks nicest on the skin, unfortunately. The richest and healthiest color, although the LEDs are OK.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    I reckon LED still has a huge hole in red making skin look rubbinsh.

Obviously I use LED 99% of time but if I had some time for art Id look at my three 800s again.

There was a link on a thread recently where an led maker was actually thinking aout red.
    ETC
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...C-fos-4-Panels

If I had the situation where the environment I could 100% control and the only thing that mattered was making the subject look their absolute best(skin tones), then I'd most definitely pull the Arri's out of (semi)retirement. Heck, it wasn't that long ago, maybe four years, that I added a set of Arri 750 open faces(replaced their 1K's) and a set of big Chimera's solely for that reason. We still don't have any light sources that look as good as the sun and tungsten.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SJX View Post
    Anybody using tungsten still? If so which units and when you use them over LEDs?
    Me !

Anytime I’m lighting a person and I want them to look good I use tungsten.

Most LED isn’t going to look as good on skin as Tungsten. It’s just a fact.

LEDs are great for backgrounds and for effects.

JB
    Cinematographer
    New Orleans Louisiana
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

7. Collapse Details
    If I can get away with it, I still like braising the talent with hot lights... most recent was a 3-person interview at the DOJ about a week ago. Small rooms or sun fighting I just go LED, but dark complexions especially win so much from a nice old simple RIFA88 1K with a gold bounce.

My teenage Lowel kit just lives in my car. Works just as well as always.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Funny you mention. Shot a series of training videos a few weeks ago and used my Luxli Cello as a nice amber hairlight, key and fill were LED, a COB and a cloth panel for under fill. But I didn't have a DC convertor for the Luxli and ran it off batteries. The batteries would die about every hour
    and me and my gaffer said to each other, "Next time we do this same setup, we are breaking out my Arri 300 fresnels as hair/rims. No batteries to change, it'll stay on all day and look better."

Tungsten looks better but it's been years since I have lit a full scene with tungsten. If I shot on stages with good HVAC more, I would use my tungsten stuff a lot more often because I 100% agree, they make skin look a lot better than any LEDs. But using LEDs is easier on the talent in small rooms
    and easier on the gaffer because we have zero chance of popping circuit breakers in new, unknown as to how the circuits are stacked locations.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 07-01-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Me !
    Would you have the camera on 3200 or be using full CTB?

Ive always been interested in a blue filter on the lens? tried that?

10. Collapse Details
    Check out shane hurlbut's high octane demo of an arri 750 with a softbox/grid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8m_AB6VNVM&t=4m36s

I hope we see a resurgence in ESPN/godfather style interview lighting.

Once the next gen of LED COB/attachments are more widespread, I can't wait for people starting out to brag about how LEDs are great because they're so easy to control...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast