Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    But there’s a few critical difference.

The UMP dressed to shoot is lighter. Much lighter in weight.

To make the Alexa Mini shootable like this you inevitably end up adding a cage. And then you add a battery power module. And then you have to add a monitor. And the rigging for a monitor. And a handle. All stuff that’s basically built into a UMP.

A UMP can be rigged with the included bolt on-handle direct to the rosette on the side which weighs nothing at all. The screen is BUILT in and very importantly, it rotates. I can hold this rig in one hand. I can’t do that with any Alexa Mini build.

You also can’t physically and seamlessly move an Alexa mini camera in space the same way as I can with a UMP.

The shot you reference there, I can jib the camera down, twisting the monitor as I do and be pointing up at the surgeon. I can do that easily because the weight is held easily by one hand and I can twist the operating screen to keep it in the right place for me to “see” the shot.

If that was an Alexa mini it would weigh a lot more, and there’s no EASY mechanism to allow that degree of adjustability with re-orienting the screen in the middle of the take “on-air”

The DP that followed after me on S3 of The Resident declined to use the UMP for those shots and instead built an Alexa mini the way you think you can build it to be the same. And learned that it’s not. After about a month after they started shooting the producer rang to ask if they could hire two UMP’s from me for the rest of the show. Apparently the shots also were very unstable and had a lot of camera shake too. (The A mini ones) because they’d put two hand grips on it...like it was a machine gun...again, totally the wrong way to operate that camera if you’re trying to do this style of operating.

You can’t physically move the Alexa mini in space the way you can with a smaller rig like this.

I did try. For a while I had an Alexa mini with a lot of the accessory stuff off board in a backpack. That took some of the weight back off the camera, but it then meant I was tethered and it was a pain between takes cause I had to take the backpack on and off or unplug it and then have to -reboot it.

AND

There’s no easy solution to a re-orientable lightweight screen that’s powered by the camera. If you add an external monitor to an Alexa mini, it has to be attached somehow, it has to be powered somehow, and most importantly, it can’t be moved with a single hand in space.

The UMP allows that because the built in screen can rotate through 180 degrees and is powered internally.

They’re not the same cameras to operate.

JB

Here’s another shot

https://flic.kr/p/PB1oBz

EDIT - Another shot. It’s smaller than a Mini rigged with the same stuff and definitely lighter.
    Ok now I understand. Well the alexa mini is not a handycam. The ursa kind of is so it can work this way. But so could many other handycams. Just different tools I guess. But how you found the quality difference between alexa and ursa to match? In low light alexa is king and ursa has vertical lines if not enough light. Also not as good as alexa in low light. I guess you probably had full control of lighting and in this case any camera looks good. But you found the quality difference hard to hide? The 2 stops more in DR from Alexa is not apparent? Could you point to a clip of the show online where alexa and ursa intercut? Would be interesting. Also interesting to know if the ursas last long on a set. I broke a blackmagic camera after 4 days of shooting but the alexa was full of deep scratches and still going.
    Last edited by SJX; 07-02-2020 at 08:04 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Here's a VR shot riding on an Ursa I used to shoot a oner for the close of an episode on The Resident.

It's not the best example, but you can see that I can move the camera very quickly, make small adjustments. Yes you could maybe just do this hand held but it probably wouldn't be as smooth. And you'll notice at the end I "boom" or "jib" the camera down as he pushes the button. That would be harder to do hand held and hard to do with an Alexa Mini.

https://vimeo.com/434538778

Password is

Resident

It's a 360 shot so click and drag or put your headset on...

Oh. Quit a lot of tungsten in there. The big flare half way though its a dedo way up high. Par cans of course.

Also, notice I switch on the ring light after the first "scene-ette" as I'm walking. Meaning I was carrying the camera with one hand while I switched it on with the other while walking....

JB
    Wow nice. That's art. I can only think how much rehearsal it took. You are just cutting off mic guy off frame or is post erased? Anyway the whole dance must have been hard to get right. Congrats!

3. Collapse Details
    https://flic.kr/p/2jhofPn

A Ranger is fully two and a half pounds bigger than a stock UMP and doesn’t have a built in monitor, which I’ve already explained through pictures and video, is a unique combination for a particular style of shooting.

JB
    The D-box is 1.5lbs and adds an extra couple centimeters to the length. Just saying that all of these cameras are a bit bulky for DVX100 use. The Ranger lightens up when the rigging and AKS come into play, but none of these cameras are exactly ideal for extended handheld use. Definitely better than an SXT or DXL2 though! And it is far more simple to run with a stock Ursa than build a Ranger or Mini into a DV style camera, but maybe a far cry from the cameras that Anthony Dod Mantle might have used to innovate with.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Seems like the UMP is the DVX of S35 cine cams.

I'm sure you can rig the Komodo to suit the purpose, but I wonder if it will balance as easily with a heavy lens.

John - have you had any reliability issues with the Ursa? I read the occasional nightmare account

Let's call it the HVX200 of s35.

The Komodo is small enough that you cold configure it however you like and achieve balance. If you kept it small, there are arms that extend forward towards the lens allowing for a more centered balance, but that is not always the best solution for stable handheld footage. Typically you'll want to have a grip on the opposite ends of the camera for stability, no? leverage is it? That is the beauty of miniDV flippy screens, is that it creates a sort of third axis for handheld stability. Which is part of the simplicity and advantage in the Ursa design.

5. Collapse Details
    We’re veering away from the OP’s question.

These are personal choices.

My choices may not be your choices, though I find it endlessly fascinating that people think they know better what choice I would / should make..

We can debate it in some other relevant thread, though I thought I was pretty clear about why I made those choices.

JB
    Cinematographer
    New Orleans Louisiana
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

6. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I use tungsten for the bigger fresnel work (5K/10K/T12) for sun gags on stage, Source 4's (the LED ones are still a bit weaksauce) and the odd overhead softbox and other places where budget dictates. Sometimes we'll be stretching the package so far I'll see my gaffer pull out some legit oldies like a 2K zip...yikes.

On the subject of tungsten looking better than LED...almost all tungsten is essentially the same, but that is certainly not the case with LED units. Wide range of results within the latter group, and each new generation brings advancements in their spectral output. Before we went down I was two days away from camera tests for my last series and that was one of the things I had slated, test a series of LED's against a tungsten reference (through same diffusion to keep things as equal and real-world as possible) to do a blind-taste test of the results.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details

My choices may not be your choices, though I find it endlessly fascinating that people think they know better what choice I would / should make..

We can debate it in some other relevant thread, though I thought I was pretty clear about why I made those choices.

JB
    No one is telling you how to shoot. We're just saying that we might choose a different option. We're just sharing ideas and information. DVXuser is jazz. Just gotta keep rolling with the communication.

8. Collapse Details
    There’s a good set of examples here, comparing LED lights done by CML alumni.

https://www.cinematography.net/LED-C...era-Index.html

It’s an easy test to replicate and I’m sure it will be eye opening for anyone to try it for themselves.

JB
    Cinematographer
    New Orleans Louisiana
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

9. Collapse Details

JB
    Hi John not sure your reply is to me. But I'm not second guessing your choice. I'm interested in the ursa. I want to buy a 4K camera which is more practical than my big camera. I will not sell F35 because no camera makes an image like it. But I want a cheap 4K to add to my set. But it must not only be 4K. I want more practical too. So much smaller, much lighter, built in ND etc. I was considering either fs700+7Q or C500 MKI +7Q or atomos. In this price range. Don't want to spend more. But maybe ursa mini could also fit. So my question about the ursa and quality issues and how it cuts with alexa etc above is legit interest. And I'm the OP so I don't mind if talk veer to cameras. ;) Thanks for your feedback.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234