1. Collapse Details
    Nominal Voltage on V-mount
    Hi,

I am new to external batteries, having used internal batteries before.

My camera accepts between 7.2-15v of external power.

Looking at v-mount options and most output around 14.8V of nominal voltage. Some are rated at 16V of maximum voltage even though the output is 14.8V.

How concerned should I be if my camera only accepts 15V and these batteries output 14.8V nominal but 16V maximum voltage?

This is an old camera so I have to be particular with the battery I do choose.

For example:

"Power your camera or other pro video equipment with the IDX CUE-D95 91Wh Li-Ion V-Mount Battery. The battery can supply up to 16.8 VDC to the plate, and can also provide up to 50W to power accessories through the integrated D-tap output. CUE-D batteries feature a nominal voltage of 14.8 VDC and a maximum output voltage of 16.8 VDC "

BTW I don't have a v-mount plate. I was expecting to go straight from the battery via d-tap to the camera.

Many thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Depending on the ‘power in’ connector type on the camera, there are lots of regulated d-tap power cables available for equipment that can’t handle higher voltages.

3. Collapse Details
    All modern V mount and AB batteries are Li-Ion and all are 16.6-16.8V when fully charged. They are about 14.4V at about 50% capacity and about 12V fully discharged. They could be labeled differently (16V, 14.4v, 14.8V etc.) but these numbers have something to do with the marketing /technical writing, not with real chemistry-based voltages.
    Same with the camera jacks - if it is labeled 15V it might be just labeling. Try to go through the user manual and find what the max. safe voltage is, or contact the camera manufacturer to be sure not to smoke it. HTH

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    What camera? Also there are v mount plates that have internal regulators that you could use, some are user variable, some are set values.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    What camera? Also there are v mount plates that have internal regulators that you could use, some are user variable, some are set values.
    the ikonoskop a-cam dii. I have a generic dtap to two pin lemo connector so doubt it will regulate.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by adolgin View Post
    All modern V mount and AB batteries are Li-Ion and all are 16.6-16.8V when fully charged. They are about 14.4V at about 50% capacity and about 12V fully discharged. They could be labeled differently (16V, 14.4v, 14.8V etc.) but these numbers have something to do with the marketing /technical writing, not with real chemistry-based voltages.
    Same with the camera jacks - if it is labeled 15V it might be just labeling. Try to go through the user manual and find what the max. safe voltage is, or contact the camera manufacturer to be sure not to smoke it. HTH
    the manufacturer is out of business, so all i have is the manual to go off which rates it at 7.2-15v.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mproust14 View Post
    the ikonoskop a-cam dii.
    Legendary...you're a rare breed.

8. Collapse Details
    the manufacturer is out of business, so all i have is the manual to go off which rates it at 7.2-15v.
    IDX have a V-lock plate that has a switchable 5 or 7.3V output (as well as the standard D-Tap output) I would talk to IDX about what to do. With their help I now have a V-lock solution for the Panasonic AG-AC90 and the HC-X1 (that will also work with most of the Panasonic range that take the same batteries.

9. Collapse Details
    the ikonoskop a-cam dii. I have a generic dtap to two pin lemo connector so doubt it will regulate.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Legendary...you're a rare breed.
    I remember this camera from years ago, but needed a slight memory jog. Thank you Google. Good God. Beautiful images. That’s what you get with a CCD.

10. Collapse Details
    I would ditch the dtap, buy a mounting plate with around 8.4 volts regulated, and make a new cable.

Direct off the unregulated dtap would probably work, but with something like that camera I'd guess you don't want to risk it.