Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quibi in Trouble
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...tzenberg-crash

Quibi is blaming its woes on the pandemic. But come on - streaming viewership has gone up, not down.

Personally, I don't think there's much room for narrative content under 20-30 minutes episodic or 60 minutes standalone.

How much story can you develop in 10 minutes? I don't watch short films for entertainment. I don't really enjoy them.

If you want to watch a TV show in 10-minute segments, you can just hit pause and pick it up later.

If you want 5-minute make-up or cooking tutorials, you can go on YouTube.

Am I wrong? Does anyone else think Quibi fills a niche for viewers?
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    Their dumbest mistake was not allowing streaming to a TV. Why they did that I don't understand.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Their dumbest mistake was not allowing streaming to a TV. Why they did that I don't understand.
    they may be reversing course on that according to the article

4. Collapse Details
    Quibi only had a niche for people on the go. I. Particular commuters with some time to kill. That was definitely wiled out by the pandemic, not just in the US, but across the globe. So, they went from a having a small chance, to pretty much no chance. Just bad timing for them.

But traditional theaters got hit even worse, so......

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I have very mixed feelings about that, much as I love Princess Bride. But hey it's for a good cause

7. Collapse Details
    Back in 1992, Larry David and Larry Charles were hiking in Runyon Park in Hollywood Hills and pondering sitcom's structural design. It was then a fairly standard time allotment to the premise, story beats and resolution, with the main difference being a dual (A and B) story or a single/A story structure. But LC suggested that, given the show four acting stars/characters, they could try four stories per a 21/22 minute episode. Which is what they began doing around 1993, with LC soon leaving the program to become the show-runner on "Mad about you". In that sense, it is unknown whether the show would have retained its quality, as LC is a brilliant writer and his replacements were not. Subsequently, LD also left and Jerry became the sole decider over what went in and what didn't. I happen to loathe the show from that point on but that's exactly when it became immensely popular with the mass audience, despite a prevailing feeling among the insiders that it really was turning into crap.

In any case, if one wonders about 5 minute story lines, then they can be and have been done. Anton Chekhov, the greatest short story writer in history, wrote a bunch of de facto 5-minute plays. The question is the number of Chekhov quality writers on Quibi's payroll. The other question is whether short films rather than short comedy bits or interview excerpts ought to be Quibi's main share of content. And the third is whether Quibi can compete against the deep pocketed mainstream type services like Netflix, Amazon, Disney and Apple in the long run to begin with.

We'll find out soon enough.

8. Collapse Details
    I want longer shows, not shorter, chopped-up versions. That's one of the things I like about the high quality episodics on the streaming services, there's time to develop and tell a good/great story.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Interesting take, DLD. Quibi has some deep-pocketed investors.

I haven't read Chekhov's short plays.

I'd argue that comedy or music videos, for example, deliver a type of spectacle that can almost exist in stasis. I don't think the need for long and deep arc development is there.

And those 5-minute Seinfeld arcs are intertwined with one another. I think that helps build the complexity in your mind (plus the fact that they all end up colliding). If you were to cut out all the Elaine scenes and watch them in order without the other stuff, it might be moderately less entertaining than within the flow and rhythm of the larger piece. (Just like in a feature or whatever you cycle back and forth between characters/subplots.)

10. Collapse Details
    I blame a lack of marketing. I have honestly never heard of Quibi before. This thread is the first I have ever even heard of it. Thats saying a lot coming from a person that did live video streaming for a living. If I never heard of it I'm pretty sure a lot of other people have never heard of it either.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast