Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I think short form kind of sucks. I mean, you could break up a longer story into short chunks. I'm rewatching star trek Voyager now and, like all commercially-interrupted shows, it ends with a dramatic beat or mini-cliffhanger before fading to commercial breaks and then has some expository dialogue to reestablish the scenario after it fades back in. Every chunk between commercial breaks could be an "episode" right? But yeah, I dont think you can satisfyingly tell much story in less than 15 minutes. Give yourself a half hour or an hour and you can go into more depth and have multiple subplots. Look at how much more plot your typical written short story has. as much as a feature. And a full-length novel always strains the feature format. They did the hobbit in 3 movies and that was a children's book.

Quibi's supposed excuse was that it was designed for commuters. Straphangers could watch a full episode or two on the train and then chat about it around the water cooler. So they claimed that remote work killed them. I'm not so sure.

I think that sticking to 30- and 60-minute episodes (but wasn't it really 23 and 46?) Is a holdover from the previous era, for both writers/producers and audiences. There may be more variety of durations coming. But maybe not - I think that people like consistent, predictable chunks of time. Many online newspapers post the average reading time of an article next to the headline so you can decide if you're willing to invest that much time in the topic, ha.

Tangentially, I feel like 3-hour long movies are almost always too long to sit through.
    Have you seen prison break on netflix? It feels like every few minutes it fades to black for what surely would have been way too many commercials when it was on regular TV..

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Well, that lasted a quibi.
    My joke today was "more like QUITbi, amirite?!"

3. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Gary T;1986846133]Looks it's over and Quibi will soon be no more!

Told you so.
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Have you seen prison break on netflix? It feels like every few minutes it fades to black for what surely would have been way too many commercials when it was on regular TV..
    I haven't seen it but I know that it originally aired on broadcast. What's the implication? Is it just their particular style? Are they trying to make it super dramatic with the extra fade outs? Is the show any good?
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-22-2020 at 07:34 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    On the flip side: Swamp Thing on the CW here in the US was originally shot for the DC streaming service and it’s just as bad, because they have to censor a lot of the dialogue that can’t air on broadcast and the cuts to commercial break are super awkward, because it wasn’t written/made with them in-mind, since there were never going to be any.

6. Collapse Details
    I haven't seen it but I know that it originally aired on broadcast. What's the implication? Is it just their particular style? Are they trying to make it super dramatic with the fade outside? Is the show any good?
    I haven’t seen the follow-up(Dan was there for the BTS), but the original run of the series was very good. At least the first few seasons.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Nice! You have been saving that for 6 months, haven't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoanton View Post
    My joke today was "more like QUITbi, amirite?!"
    Haha! Very much so. =)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    On the flip side: Swamp Thing on the CW here in the US was originally shot for the DC streaming service and it’s just as bad, because they have to censor a lot of the dialogue that can’t air on broadcast and the cuts to commercial break are super awkward, because it wasn’t written/made with them in-mind, since there were never going to be any.
    Haha that sucks. I just checked out a few swamp thing trailers on YT, looks like it's competing with ozark for the bluest show on TV!

9. Collapse Details
    I haven't seen it but I know that it originally aired on broadcast. What's the implication? Is it just their particular style? Are they trying to make it super dramatic with the extra fade outs? Is the show any good?
    They were probably playing by the rules re commercial breaks but it just emphasizes how ridiculous it was to watch some of these shows in "real time" back in the day.

For a recommendation, I've logged some serious hours of bad viewing over the years so I don't think I'm qualified to answer. We're talking springer, COPS, home improvement...
    Last edited by rob norton; 10-23-2020 at 12:34 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Yeah, this has to be one of the worst broadcast edits I've suffered through. The way they blur mouths when they censor dialogue is distracting, and the cuts to commercial happen almost randomly, sometimes a few frames into the next scene.

I've only seen two episodes but I think the show has potential. Apparently there is some talk about resurrecting the show for the CW or HBO MAX so we might see more of it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast