Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yeah they were only a blip on my radar - but I know I've read about them multiple times in the news. Never bothered to actually check it out tho

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Interesting take, DLD. Quibi has some deep-pocketed investors.

I haven't read Chekhov's short plays.

I'd argue that comedy or music videos, for example, deliver a type of spectacle that can almost exist in stasis. I don't think the need for long and deep arc development is there.

And those 5-minute Seinfeld arcs are intertwined with one another. I think that helps build the complexity in your mind (plus the fact that they all end up colliding). If you were to cut out all the Elaine scenes and watch them in order without the other stuff, it might be moderately less entertaining than within the flow and rhythm of the larger piece. (Just like in a feature or whatever you cycle back and forth between characters/subplots.)

A) Deep pocketed investor will limit their losses, if the business goes into a toilet.

But enough about Olympus.

B) Chekhov wrote mostly short stories, many of which have been filmed. I recall one short/mini play he wrote. There may be others.

And, I guess, more than one.

C) For the last couple of months I've watched a bunch of interviews by a Ukrainian journalist/talk show host Dimitri Gordon. He also provides a lot of self-contained short clips/excerpts to his older broadcasts. I found the shorts very well done, even as my attention span isn't sufficient for an hour long program.

D) Yes, the Seinfeld 4-stories intersected, with endings one could often see ten minutes ahead. My favorites were mostly the Larry Charles penned episodes like "The Heart Attack", "The Limo", "The Keys", "The Trip", "The Outing", "The Bris", "The Fix-up", etc. Most of those were a single story shows.

3. Collapse Details
    One thing about Chekhov, it looks like even his short stories could be made into feature-length films, such as this one - https://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/movies/27ward.html

A feature film contains less plot than an average-length novel. So, I suppose that some (or most) short stories could be made into features. Sometimes novel adaptations even feel like they're cramming too much into a 2-hour space.

I guess that's why I feel like a 5- or 10-minute movie makes so little of an impression on me. Or the theme is hitting me over the head.

But I should check out more Chekhov...

I saw some short films I really liked in the Short Treks series on CBS. But they all piggybacked off characters and a setting (Star Trek: Discovery) that was thoroughly fleshed out and presumably known to the viewer already.

The best was The Escape Artist starring the hilarious Rainn Wilson. I don't know if he'll ever escape the shadow of Dwight Schrute but damn is he funny. I watched it 3 times and I've been quoting my favorite lines from that short for weeks, much to my wife's chagrin.

4. Collapse Details
    "Van'ka" (soft "n") is one of the most famous Chekov short stories and seems to be reasonably translated (often Chekhov's prose is bungled badly). It's also been filmed.

http://www.free-short-stories.org.uk...khov-vanka.htm

Here's 1959 Soviet 30 min short based on it. (have to click on CC for subtitles, then translate in English, although the story line ought to be fairly clear from the story)

And here's a Soviet 8-min 1981 animated short.

OK, the auto-translation suck.

And, as a side note, sketch comedy shows - whether "Your Show of Shows", "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" or SNL - is a collection of shorts.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    I blame a lack of marketing. I have honestly never heard of Quibi before. This thread is the first I have ever even heard of it. Thats saying a lot coming from a person that did live video streaming for a living. If I never heard of it I'm pretty sure a lot of other people have never heard of it either.
    At least around here, I saw lots of TV ads for them leading into their launch. And then nothing... Why lift your foot off the accelerator as soon as the green flag flies...?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    ... And, as a side note, sketch comedy shows - whether "Your Show of Shows", "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" or SNL - is a collection of shorts.
    It's odd to have brought up "You Show of Shows" only to discover that Carl Reiner, who earned his first fame on that program, passed away at roughly the time of that post.

Carl had a nice run though. He was 98.

7. Collapse Details
    I had never even heard of Quibi befpore this thread. Sounds like an economically unviable idea to me.
    We have YouTube and Vimeo, why would we need to pay to watch shorts?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I had never even heard of Quibi befpore this thread. Sounds like an economically unviable idea to me.
    We have YouTube and Vimeo, why would we need to pay to watch shorts?
    I completely agree with you. But to answer your question, I think their business model was rooted in building an exclusive library of celebrity-rich content. (Eg if you want to watch the Chrissy Teigen courtroom show, you NEED Quibi.)

But I think the reality it that is was founded by two Silicon Valley bigwigs with a bad idea who never would have gotten it going without their billionaire investor connections

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I completely agree with you. But to answer your question, I think their business model was rooted in building an exclusive library of celebrity-rich content. (Eg if you want to watch the Chrissy Teigen courtroom show, you NEED Quibi.)

But I think the reality it that is was founded by two Silicon Valley bigwigs with a bad idea who never would have gotten it going without their billionaire investor connections
    Abe for the win.

10. Collapse Details
    A little known tidbit in their corporate filing. Originally, the company was going to be called CatB and show nothing but cat videos.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast