Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS2 View Post
    Oh okay well I've made short films where I bit off more than I could chew but I thought from learning from that now, that what to do instead, was to hire people to help with bigger projects. I just don't feel I could do every task in every department. I thought hiring a DP for example would be an enormous benefit to learning the whole cinematography craft, compared to someone who is specialized in it. Plus a lot of directors hire separate DPs, so I thought it was reasonable practice of course. And I thought co-directing might help as well for a first one, but some others say don't do it.
    I think there is great value in doing every task in every department so you learn about that department.. im talking on micro micro films that you might not even show to the public 'making a cofee' - when working on even a short with crew and talent you need to move towards managing the crew so your vision is delivered but having a feel for all elements may help until you cn afford a director or AD.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Well it's a spectrum, and probably 2-dimensional not 1-dimensional. Some book suggesting he was on the spectrum:

"He is described as having poor social skills, obsessive interests, literal thinking, and a lot of inflexibility, all of which are telltale signs of autism."

And his indifference to fashion and usually wearing the same thing every day:

"Kubrick dressed simply, wearing the same style clothes every day: beat chinos, a basic blue work shirt, a ripstop cotton fatigue jacket with many pockets, and a pair of well-worn running shoes. "Many producers and actors thought he dressed like a beatnik", notes Herr,[13]:1415 and his wife thought his baggy trousers made him look like a "balloon vendor." His meals were also simple, "he has no time to waste," writes Ciment.[7]:41"

I think he was autistic like I think Zuckerberg is autistic, if that makes sense
    Zuckerberg feels autistic when you see / hear him speak. It's pretty evident in the way he communicates. There is a very long interview Kubrick did for 2001 and he seems pretty relaxed and open, making jokes, there is nothing stilted about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOMNF27kLg
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Nelson nutmeg.

Its one of the 20% (+-19%) of homemade films that is on amazon I guess. Its got a commercial premise in that kids need entertaining on every a rainy day for 15 odd years, its even got the old girl off Porry Hatter.

As a parent youd plonk your kids in front of it to shut them up even if it is a bad film.

It, therefore, should make a bit of cash sometime.

I was the DP only on shots which had characters in. Mainly an old BM camera, my nikkor 35-70 and a polyboard.

The producers IMO seriously hampered the trailer by shooting pickups for the trailer themselves .. so it looks crap from the get go.

I cant say too much about it but I made a few quid and learned a lot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Killed-Nels...o%2C155&sr=1-1
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 06-30-2020 at 03:34 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Yes, it is a spectrum, indeed. Lots of people have some, but we only tend to notice the extremes. Btw. I don't have anything against, or certainly don't look down on folks who have it - world progress, technology, art and civilization would not be possible without the contribution of ALL the diverse talents humanity has. Having a little can lead to great achievements but also sometimes lead to misunderstaing "oh, the guy is an @hole", in reality the guy is simply slightly on the spectrum and so on (even in this forum - "oh, he's trolling!"). But again spectrum - you can function well, indeed brilliantly up to a certain range, but go beyond some point, and it can become debilitating. IMHO (again, just my opinion!), the OP is pretty far along - too far for success as a director (again my opinion! I could be wrong!). He's not getting the very, very basics - unlike Kubrick or some of the other names thrown around... but were they really on the spectrum? Armchair diagnosis is always iffy, but particulary dodgy when the degree of being on the spectrum is rather small - so you might not notice or agree that say, Kubrick is on the spectrum. However, when it's very noticeable, then it's a different matter - same as you can't always tell if someone is tipsy, but when they're falling down drunk, well, that doesn't need genius level armchair diagnosis.

In general, I'm in favor of trying anything - if you want to make a film, go make it. That doesn't mean that if asked, I won't tell you my honest opinion - odds might be super low. Can you make a successful microbudget movie - sure, but odds are low. Can YOU (random "you"), make it? Depends on who "you" are - I might say "small", or "zero", or whatever - but hey, I'm just one person, if you feel compelled to make a film, by all means ignore the critics and the doubters and go for it (hopefully without losing your house!). Derrick Borte, the director of a movie I like very much - American Dreamer (2018) - did exactly that, he mortgaged his house to make it. It was not a huge critical success (I think more of it than a lot of critics), but he made his money back and just directed the upcoming Russell Crowe vehicle "Unhinged". So it worked for him... but this wasn't his first time at the rodeo - he had a filmography before he did Amercian Dreamer, just that his career petered out and he took a huge chance on reviving it, gambling his house... worked for him!

If you believe in your project, ignore the critics and naysayers (including me!) - but if you don't even have confidence in your own project and have to ask how to get it, well, it's a steeper hill to climb, like that molehill Mt. Everest with no oxygen - possible for a first timer, but unlikely. YMMV.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Zuckerberg feels autistic when you see / hear him speak. It's pretty evident in the way he communicates. There is a very long interview Kubrick did for 2001 and he seems pretty relaxed and open, making jokes, there is nothing stilted about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOMNF27kLg
    I have a friend who self-diagnosed autism in adulthood based on an internet quiz. Basically she came out borderline. But it was things like not always knowing what people were feeling, what their expressions meant, not being able to tell when people are lying, feeling uncomfortable with eye contact. She has a sense of humor and natural way of talking and you wouldn't think she was autistic. Shes very smart. But very literal.

Kubrick did things like he had had assistant gather every dimension of notecard in every thickness he could find. He laid them all out - hundreds of them. He compared them all to find the perfect size for note-taking. Pretty obsessive. Then there was the steak and ice cream:

"at a dinner during pre-production on A Clockwork Orange, Malcolm McDowell asked Kubrick why he was simultaneously eating ice cream and steak. Kubrick replied "What's the difference? It's all food. This is how Napoleon used to eat.”

6. Collapse Details
    People love or loathe mumblecore films ( very unfair to lump all together) but for some it makes the point that expensive resources aren’t necessary for artistic or in some cases financial success. Most filmmakers can master the sometimes lax production standards. Fassbinder if alive today might wholeheartedly endorse the style. I’d rather see an engaging film with tech issues than technically flawless dead fish production.

7. Collapse Details
    Don’t chase Hollywood, if you follow your own path that feels right you have a chance to be successful but at the end of the day success or not you probably will be happy with that path.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I have a friend who self-diagnosed autism in adulthood based on an internet quiz. Basically she came out borderline. But it was things like not always knowing what people were feeling, what their expressions meant, not being able to tell when people are lying, feeling uncomfortable with eye contact. She has a sense of humor and natural way of talking and you wouldn't think she was autistic. Shes very smart. But very literal.

Kubrick did things like he had had assistant gather every dimension of notecard in every thickness he could find. He laid them all out - hundreds of them. He compared them all to find the perfect size for note-taking. Pretty obsessive. Then there was the steak and ice cream:

"at a dinner during pre-production on A Clockwork Orange, Malcolm McDowell asked Kubrick why he was simultaneously eating ice cream and steak. Kubrick replied "What's the difference? It's all food. This is how Napoleon used to eat.”
    But that could also just be garden variety obsessive compulsive disorder. I have a friend with OCD who is definitely not autistic, but has similar particular, obsessive traits.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    But that could also just be garden variety obsessive compulsive disorder. I have a friend with OCD who is definitely not autistic, but has similar particular, obsessive traits.
    Good point. Neurodivergent nonetheless. But if OCD then not an example of an autistic director

10. Collapse Details
    Oh okay, well I cannot comment about how being on the spectrum or having OCD would affect my directing performance, I just want to do the best I can and make something more worthwhile as a career investment.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast