Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You can't tap a face to initiate the box to start tracking it?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    You can't tap a face to initiate the box to start tracking it?
    With Canon, if the tracking loses the face, you can't do anything to force it to see the face until the box comes back on it's own.
    Or at least thats how my C300 MKII and C200 work, not sure about the 500 MKII as I know it has a newer version of DPAF?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Not having that in the C500/300 Mark II/III would be absolutely insane.

I somehow missed that for the C200 and C300 Mark II as I never used either with their touch screens (and more understanding it's not available for the latter), but that functionality has been around for 5+ years in their photography cameras.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Not having that in the C500/300 Mark II/III would be absolutely insane.

I somehow missed that for the C200 and C300 Mark II as I never used either with their touch screens (and more understanding it's not available for the latter), but that functionality has been around for 5+ years in their photography cameras.
    To clarify, if you are set to face detection priority and the camera loses face detection tracking, it reverts to standard AF. If you are set to face detection only and it loses the face, it locks the focus.
    It is frustrating that you cannot "help" the face detection if it loses the face.

Here's their langauge...which is a bit confusing but once you use it, you see how it works. I have not pulled the C500 MKII manual to see if they actually changed how this all works or if they added more settings.

Face Detection.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    That's generally how AF works on all cameras because those are the only two choices; either revert to a box/area in the middle (or a flexible point/spot if you're lucky), or stop working - but the major difference is you can just tap the screen on the 1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, EOS R, etc. to get it going again.

6. Collapse Details
    BTW, I started thinking you've probably never used those since you usually use more professional cameras (with your X-T3), but you can see what I am talking about in the first 20 seconds below.

Touchscreen DPAF is literally Canon's greatest creation since their inception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjSSeG-Zftg

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    To clarify, if you are set to face detection priority and the camera loses face detection tracking, it reverts to standard AF. If you are set to face detection only and it loses the face, it locks the focus.
    It is frustrating that you cannot "help" the face detection if it loses the face.

Here's their langauge...which is a bit confusing but once you use it, you see how it works. I have not pulled the C500 MKII manual to see if they actually changed how this all works or if they added more settings.

Face Detection.jpg
    As the C500II was my first touch screen, I was really surprised when I couldn't use touch in the "face only" mode. It's a bit counterintuitive I think...yes, that mode shouldn't "jump off" a face (but it does if there are two faces and it loses the one you're currently focused on) but that shouldn't mean that you can't manually input a focus point. It seems like that mode would be infinitely more useful if you could touch your way out of a face detect failure. On my interview two-shot, I sat there trying not to sweat...banging away on the screen before I realized I just needed to switch to target mode with a small box and then life was good. While mostly I find Face detect valuable in interview situations, I've had a couple of occurences with the same winemaker, in closeup, in good light and bad light where it just wouldn't see him as a face. Luckily in that situation, target mode is really just as good. I hope though that they can improve the algorithm over time in FW (not like canon to do that, but they are so close and it's likely these two new cameras are going to be around for a few years).

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    As the C500II was my first touch screen, I was really surprised when I couldn't use touch in the "face only" mode. It's a bit counterintuitive I think...yes, that mode shouldn't "jump off" a face (but it does if there are two faces and it loses the one you're currently focused on) but that shouldn't mean that you can't manually input a focus point. It seems like that mode would be infinitely more useful if you could touch your way out of a face detect failure. On my interview two-shot, I sat there trying not to sweat...banging away on the screen before I realized I just needed to switch to target mode with a small box and then life was good. While mostly I find Face detect valuable in interview situations, I've had a couple of occurences with the same winemaker, in closeup, in good light and bad light where it just wouldn't see him as a face. Luckily in that situation, target mode is really just as good. I hope though that they can improve the algorithm over time in FW (not like canon to do that, but they are so close and it's likely these two new cameras are going to be around for a few years).
    If they could make it work as well as the Sony FX9 AF works, we'd all be Gold.

I did a shoot a few weeks ago with the three X-T3s, well lit, simple BG, a presenter reading prompter and used the X-T3 face/eye tracking with the latest FW update and it was rock solid, I was very happy.
    The X-T3 AF is actually more sophisticated than the C200/300 MKII now as it lets you even choose track right eye or left eye. I used eye tracking on the B camera that was on my XF16mm f/1.4 WR mounted on my Rhino EVO Motion, sliding back and forth and it too
    worked flawlessly. I was monitoring all three cameras using the ATEM Mini Pro on a single screen and I kept an eagle eye on both camera's focus the entire shoot as I know AF on all cameras works most of the time but sometimes does weird things.
    The third angle was set to manual focus with the Fringer Pro and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM but that camera was just shooting the product, which wasn't moving. But generally, overall, I have found the Canon AF to be superior to the Fuji but now that I have the
    latest firmware on the Fujis, I should do an AF shootout to see which is better for several situations.

9. Collapse Details
    GREEN/RED/BLUE: 3 Short Films by Barry Goyette. The goals for this project were modest. I invited 3 dancers to come to my studio during lockdown, and perform for my camera. There were no rehearsals. No camera blocking, and almost no direction from me (that's a first). The dancers arrived at my studio to a space significantly smaller than what they are used to performing in. My hope was to capture something essential about these three artists, in a way that was intimate and unforced. We're used to seeing dancers from a distance, on TV or on a stage. My camera was at times, quite literally sharing the space with them, trying to reveal the energy that a dancer feels and projects through their movement. The result is raw and more than a little rough around the edges. Dancers take up a lot of room, and given the lockdown nature of the piece, I decided to just let the "studio" show.

Shot in 5.9k 60p. 24p project with various rate conforms. CRL. Most shots are handheld. Wider shots on a slider.

Set design by Home Depot.
    Lighting is a single Aputure 300d MKII with a spotlight mount pointed at the floor or directly at the dancer. Plus a little color in the back from two Arri L7C.

This link goes live at 7pm PST (it's a 4k finish that I uprezzed to 5k for youtube - which I think holds the grain better).

https://youtu.be/rTjtL4gxbvE

10. Collapse Details
    I couldn't choose higher-quality than 720p for the stream - with lots of pixelation (and FYI the file on YouTube seems to be 30p) - but now that it's over I see the higher-resolution options are available and will check it out again.

I like how the RED dancer ended her sequence.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast