1. Collapse Details
    I was wondering what you think of my short film?
    It's more of an essay type short film, which I directed. What do you think out of curiosity? All critiques welcome! Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc49...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by JimS2; 06-29-2020 at 06:56 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    So what, would you say, reflects your directing in this piece?
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

3. Collapse Details
    Oh I'm not sure how to put it into words. Just the way I directed it I guess was my way. I know what you mean, just not sure how to put it into words right now.

4. Collapse Details
    If you can’t put it into words here, how can you put it into words on set?

Find Me on Instagram

5. Collapse Details
    Well to answer the question what reflects my directing in the piece, doesn't everything in it reflect my directing, since I directed it?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS2 View Post
    Well to answer the question what reflects my directing in the piece, doesn't everything in it reflect my directing, since I directed it?
    That’s a cop-out answer, Ryan.

You didn’t write it, so that doesn’t reflect your directing. You didn’t shoot it, either.

Were all the camera angles your choice, or did your DP make some/most/all of those choices? Who designed and implemented the lighting? Why did you make the decisions you made? What other directorial decisions did you make that we see in the finished product?

Find Me on Instagram

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS2 View Post
    An answer like this suggests to me that you don't know what directing is? Directing isn't telling people what to do or where to stand, after all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    That’s a cop-out answer, Ryan.

You didn’t write it, so that doesn’t reflect your directing. You didn’t shoot it, either.

Were all the camera angles your choice, or did your DP make some/most/all of those choices? Who designed and implemented the lighting? Why did you make the decisions you made? What other directorial decisions did you make that we see in the finished product?
    Sorry I did not mean for it come across as a cop out answer. I will try to answer those questions. I directed in the sense that I decided the storyboard decisions and the camera angles of what happens during the shooting, and I made the cinematography decisions which the DP executed. For example, I wanted a neutral colored light on the subject, with a blue light on the side, and that was my idea, and the DP did that. Out of all the camera angles, there was only three I did not decide . The DP had ideas for three extra shots that were not on my storyboards, so I took those ideas. I decided all the rest. His ideas were for three of the shots in the graveyard sequence. I also decided on the blocking.

I also picked the locations and I also chose everything in the editing. I chose the type of music I wanted, and showed the composers samples from other music as examples, and how I wanted the music to phase from one mood to the other, and the composer did that for me, but the types of music and how they transition, was my idea, that I asked the composer to do. Even though I did not write the script, I went over how certain parts should be delivered and collaborated with the man on ideas I had for that, which he agreed on. I also chose the takes I thought were best in the editing. Some of the b-roll ideas were in the script already, and I chose b-roll to fit the b-roll ideas that were written in the script, where as other b-roll I came up with on my own, and was not scripted. So those are the parts I did in the directing, if that helps answer the question?
    Last edited by JimS2; 07-01-2020 at 12:12 AM.