1. Collapse Details
    No card warning
    Is there a way to enable one?

I've made some mistakes.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulet Man View Post
    Is there a way to enable one?

I've made some mistakes.
    Would be nice. I've made that mistake once out twice. One of those times I thought I was getting gold. The other time was... there was never another time.

Yeah, wish manufacturers had a big fat warning in a camera when there is no media. Seems like the only time one uses a camera is when intending to record....

Some of them are just a little too inconspicuous to notice sometimes. Still really important to work on your muscle memory and organization with cameras in that way. Though, it seems hilarious in this day and age that we still have that problem. In fact, I wonder why cameras don't have an auxiliary internal storage for a few minutes or hours of footage without a card. Not like storage is expensive anymore.

3. Collapse Details
    Maybe try to discard all settings?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I wonder why cameras don't have an auxiliary internal storage for a few minutes or hours of footage without a card. Not like storage is expensive anymore.
    I vaguely remember Sony doing that for a while with some of their smaller prosumer NXcams. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't remember it being popular. And the recording on those cameras was pretty low bitrate, so the internal record time was decent.
    While memory has gotten slowly cheaper, newer cameras would need a fair amount to make it worthwhile since a lot of recording currently takes place in the 400 mbps range -- and reliable high speed memory isn't necessarily that cheap.

Of course is there any real downside to just keeping an empty, formatted card in Slot 2 ? Then you have a card in the camera ready to go if you forget. Do contacts tend to corrode over time if there's a card in the slot? I wouldn't think it would be bad for the memory card or camera unless there's an issue with the contacts...

Of course there are consumer cameras that show a big warning in the viewfinder when there's no memory card - but I find those totally obnoxious, and I find it hard to concentrate on setting up a shot with this big blinking icon in the center of the screen...

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the replies.

It would be nice if it warned me while I were rolling. Does it somewhere but I'm missing something?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulet Man View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

It would be nice if it warned me while I were rolling. Does it somewhere but I'm missing something?
    Agreed. When you press record, it should have a clear warning.

I'm not familiar with the EVA1, so I cannot say. Perhaps Mitch will see this and be able to respond.

7. Collapse Details
    Agreed that having a "No Recording Media" warning in the VF display when the record button is pushed and there are no cards in the camera would make a lot of sense for the next firmware update...

8. Collapse Details
    There are tally lights on the front and back of the camera as well as in the LCD display. If you are recording to internal media and not recording to an accessory recorder over HDMI or SDI, THEN YOU MUST REMEMBER TO SWITCH OFF THE RECORD TRIGGER ON THESE OUTPUTS!! If you do not switch off this trigger, the camera thinks that you have a recorder plugged into SDI or HDMI and that device is recording, so the camera's tally lights will activate even if there is no media in the camera.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    There are tally lights on the front and back of the camera as well as in the LCD display. If you are recording to internal media and not recording to an accessory recorder over HDMI or SDI, THEN YOU MUST REMEMBER TO SWITCH OFF THE RECORD TRIGGER ON THESE OUTPUTS!! If you do not switch off this trigger, the camera thinks that you have a recorder plugged into SDI or HDMI and that device is recording, so the camera's tally lights will activate even if there is no media in the camera.
    Thanks. Will look into this!