Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I also got some information about a future lens roadmap, including a macro lens and delivering and finishing an already announced long zoom.

It’s understandable to be cynical, but Olympus haven’t put the paperwork through yet and probably wont for another 6 months.

They likely wouldn’t be “spending” money on new stuff like this if the intention was to fire sale it all, because I’m sure their buyer wouldn’t want them developing the company further.

That’s a hopeful take anyway, and not at all to detract from the genuine concerns for the brand and business going forward. But it’s more hopeful than not.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

2. Collapse Details
    Corporations are like ocean liners. They don't exactly stop on a dime.

Yesterday I read a story about the website for Space Jam, which is still up (https://www.spacejam.com/) but that's not the funny part. AOL bought Time Warner and Netscape, but even afterward for a while, Time Warner had to pay Netscape for server licenses for all its movie websites, simply because the new megacorp had not yet worked out the accounting.

3. Collapse Details
    I think there’s also a difference between paying for legacy systems like the space jam site (kind of like support / service) and spending money of continuing to develop new product that they don’t really have to spend if they intend to wind down.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Corporations are like ocean liners. They don't exactly stop on a dime.

Yesterday I read a story about the website for Space Jam, which is still up (https://www.spacejam.com/) but that's not the funny part. AOL bought Time Warner and Netscape, but even afterward for a while, Time Warner had to pay Netscape for server licenses for all its movie websites, simply because the new megacorp had not yet worked out the accounting.
    wow that space jam website feels...ancient

i took the quiz on my loony tunes knowledge though so hey it still works

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I think there’s also a difference between paying for legacy systems like the space jam site (kind of like support / service) and spending money of continuing to develop new product that they don’t really have to spend if they intend to wind down.

JB
    It's possible hat the current ownership seeks to either beef up the asset prices or create an appearance that they could go on for a while longer if JIP has second thoughts or walks away. Or, it's also possible that JIP has the third party/parties lined up and that's what the third party is interested in doing.

As I've said before, the brand name has some value (and, as JB said before, lenses are a profitable item to more than a single corporate customer).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Sorry, that website story was a red herring. My real example was about the accounting. The Space Jam website was a segue, because it was the Space Jam webmaster who told the story about the accounting. The Space Jam website's existence is weird and not an example of corporate inertia. It must hold sentimental value for some executive. Most of Time Warner's movie websites from 1996 are now offline (I mean, I assume?).

My real point is: these just-announced products were probably in development for a year or so at Olympus, don't you think? I would think they would not throw them away, especially since the deal is not even signed yet, just a "memorandum of understanding". I wouldn't be surprised if it's a couple more months before the deal is final.

7. Collapse Details
    Strange news on Olympus:

"Outside of the Tokyo headquarters nobody knew about the sale. Olympus Europe and North America only learned this from the press release
    The 2020 product launch roadmap is still valid and at least one new camera and one new lens will be announced soon
    Starting from 2021 new products will not have the “Olympus” name in it. Cameras will be branded purely as “OMD” or “PEN” and lenses as “ZUIKO”

https://www.43rumors.com/what-happen...omd-and-zuiko/

8. Collapse Details
    Not strange insofar as the name change goes. Olympus wants to keep the "Olympus" for its medical and other profit making branches.

The rest is going to give a lot of accountants a lot of work.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    ... Cameras will be branded purely as “OMD” or “PEN” ...

OMD - Olympus Medical Devices ... not good.

10. Collapse Details
    Why not good? Maybe PEN becomes the M43 cameras?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast