Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Of course they will. While other companies that build PCs integrate flexible and user modifiable technology into their products and pass along cost savings to consumers, Apple locks down their products, charges higher prices and discourages user experimentation (swapping out components, etc.)... In any case, as a lot of editors have switched to subscription based software, I doubt that the chip swap-out will be as destructive in that regard...
    But what percentage of the overall computer using population really does that or even considers doing it? I’m guessing somewhere in the sub-1% neighborhood.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    But what percentage of the overall computer using population really does that or even considers doing it? I’m guessing somewhere in the sub-1% neighborhood.
    I actually did modify the Mac Pro (pre-2012) quite a bit. I swapped out the RAM, hard drives, GPU and optical drives. This was the last user-modifiable Mac that I'm aware of that was actually affordable (the new Mac Pros start at 6K). I'm by no means a computer nerd, but there is a sizeable community of editors out there that want the ability to modify their systems...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I actually did modify the Mac Pro (pre-2012) quite a bit. I swapped out the RAM, hard drives, GPU and optical drives. This was the last user-modifiable Mac that I'm aware of that was actually affordable (the new Mac Pros start at 6K). I'm by no means a computer nerd, but there is a sizeable community of editors out there that want the ability to modify their systems...
    I’m sure there are, but even if you rounded them all up, it would still be a very tiny fraction compared to the general, overall computer using population that couldn’t care less about being able to crack their computer open and tinker with it like a car from the 1950’s. And I’m not saying that I don’t think the end user shouldn’t be able to or maybe there shouldn’t be a “true pro line” that allows that, but how many computers do you think Apple is selling to the average person that doesn’t care and just wants to take it out of the box and it “just works” vs computers to people who want to work on it themselves, in all the various ways that can mean?

4. Collapse Details
    I’m sure there are, but even if you rounded them all up, it would still be a very tiny fraction compared to the general, overall computer using population that couldn’t care less about being able to crack their computer open and tinker with it like a car from the 1950’s. And I’m not saying that I don’t think the end user shouldn’t be able to or maybe there shouldn’t be a “true pro line” that allows that, but how many computers do you think Apple is selling to the average person that doesn’t care and just wants to take it out of the box and it “just works” vs computers to people who want to work on it themselves, in all the various ways that can mean?
    Agreed. And people will keep paying because the value that these machines provide is far above the cost. As long as they function. (Just like cars.)

That being said, we are each entitled to advocate for our own personal needs.

5. Collapse Details
    Didn't the article say the ARMs are SoC, therefore less likely to be modifiable?

And speaking of modifiable, what percent of PC users still use desktops? (overall, not power users).

6. Collapse Details
    This puts an end to the Mac/PC comparisons based on tech specs vs price. Macs are truly going to become something unique that can’t be emulated via PC builds. Kudos to Apple for being innovative and exciting once again (feels like it’s been long overdue).

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes because back then the technology wasn't there yet and we had a need to keep upgrading components. Today that need is much less. As long as we buy enough ram up front the overall system will typically be outdated long before more slower ram would help very much. Most devices can now be USB-3 or TB-3 based unlike back then when even adding USB-2 to a MP required a PCI card.

Yes upgrades can still be a thing but the majority of users that just isn't true anymore. I know a ton of editors that don't want to fart around with that stuff at all. Plugging in a flash drive or hub is likely the extent as which they will expand on their systems.

I think many in the community still live in the past of an age where upgrading gave a false sense of saving money or having power to do what they want. But in all reality those who buy a new Mac every three or four years are likely ahead of the curve albeit a few dollars in their bank shorter.

I will say this is why I bought a Mac mini and eGPU. It has a few faults but I can pretty much upgrade every single thing on that little machine that I could ever upgrade on the 2012 MP. Ram up to 64GB, GPU, external storage running at m2 speeds, 10Gbe NAS, any external device via USB-2/USB-3/TB3 and so forth. Only thing I can't upgrade on this system is the CPU but that's almost always a useless upgrade path anyway since chipsets and hardware instructions change so frequently. For example even if one upgraded their 2012 MP to 12 cores its actually slower than my 6 core Mac Mini today.

USB-3 and TB3 opened up a whole new world of upgrading computers. Only time ram upgrades are even a valuable thing is if one low balled their system to save money and split the cost over time. In the case of Apple its also to get more ram for a lower cost which is what iMac and Mac mini users do. Its unfortunate the MBP can't upgrade ram and that's one of my main gripes about it but MacOS also tends to make use of lower ram much better than Windows does.

Speaking of ram it was also a must in 2012 as we transitioned from SD to HD and then 4k. We did have ever growing changes in the world that actually needed more ram but that has since leveled off a bit. Ram is still great to have which is why its great that we can still upgrade ram on the iMac and Mac Mini. I suspect 16GB will still be a pretty solid amount for MacOS for many years to come. If one can afford the 32GB on a MBP they should and that will likely serve them well until its time to upgrade the entire MBP anyway.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    Didn't the article say the ARMs are SoC, therefore less likely to be modifiable?

And speaking of modifiable, what percent of PC users still use desktops? (overall, not power users).
    likely very small.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Agreed. And people will keep paying because the value that these machines provide is far above the cost. As long as they function. (Just like cars.)

That being said, we are each entitled to advocate for our own personal needs.
    Yes. When I look at how long a Mac typically lasts me, it shows it has great value. I bought three windows laptops over the course of nine years. The first two were junk within just a few years(being very generous on the first one and it cost way more than any MBP I’ve bought). The last one was better. But I’ve bought just two MBP’s over the last 11 years and they both still work. Even the 2009 17” MBP that I don’t use and it just sits in the office, when you fire it up, it works like it did when it was new(a friend uses it for some basic editing on FCP 7 every few years). I keep wanting to get a new MBP, especially after the 16” came out, but my 2012 RMBP just keeps chugging along. And the 15”(?) I bought my GF for Christmas in 2010, which has had a HDD replacement and battery replacement, just won’t die, either. I tried to buy her a new one last year and she won’t give this one up. Oh yeah, and the iMac I bought my Mom for Christmas that year too, still going strong. The only thing not still working is the trackpad, because she didn’t replace the AA’s when they died and they corroded and basically welded the end cap on. But she hated the trackpad and only uses the mouse. I’m 99% sure my Mom is still running Snow Leopard, too.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Yes. When I look at how long a Mac typically lasts me, it shows it has great value. I bought three windows laptops over the course of nine years. The first two were junk within just a few years(being very generous on the first one and it cost way more than any MBP I’ve bought). The last one was better. But I’ve bought just two MBP’s over the last 11 years and they both still work. Even the 2009 17” MBP that I don’t use and it just sits in the office, when you fire it up, it works like it did when it was new(a friend uses it for some basic editing on FCP 7 every few years). I keep wanting to get a new MBP, especially after the 16” came out, but my 2012 RMBP just keeps chugging along. And the 15”(?) I bought my GF for Christmas in 2010, which has had a HDD replacement and battery replacement, just won’t die, either. I tried to buy her a new one last year and she won’t give this one up. Oh yeah, and the iMac I bought my Mom for Christmas that year too, still going strong. The only thing not still working is the trackpad, because she didn’t replace the AA’s when they died and they corroded and basically welded the end cap on. But she hated the trackpad and only uses the mouse. I’m 99% sure my Mom is still running Snow Leopard, too.
    I still have a 2011 17" MBP here that is a pretty solid machine. Its GPU forces it to be stuck on High Sierra and the single TB1 port and USB-2 connections really date it in terms of connections. Besides those things its a rock solid laptop and I still use it for work sometimes since my other Macs are desktops. Honestly it's the being stuck on High Sierra that hurts it the most since I have to use a different versions of apps.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast