Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Yep. New iMacs look interesting too, I would dig a 32" iMac. They are rumored to have the M2 Silicon.

I really don't like laptops in general, they are nothing but a size and power compromise compared to a desktop or iMac.
    That's why I'm still rocking my 2011 MBP, all I need it for is Word and email. Editing on a laptop is an unsatisfying experience compared to my 27" iMac.
    I get it, some people HAVE to edit on the go and laptops are handy for that. But if you have a choice...
    This is my feelings to a t. It doesn't matter how powerful the laptop is, my productivity is greatly reduced for any complex task. However I am ready to ditch the endless noise of my desktop pc & a truly silent, cool efficient replacement would be a dream. I doubt I could stomach the massive overpricing of a Mac Pro. A mac mini video editing/photoshop station & a 3d/video renderer in the other room is probably my best compromise. I wish the M2 mac minis were out already because I don't think 3d design could work for me with the first generation but I need to think more about that

2. Collapse Details
    The laptop increases my productivity because I can edit with my baby napping on me, or at the playground with my 5-year old, or during downtime on a shoot. But yeah obviously you're gonna get more bang and a nicer screen etc with an imac

3. Collapse Details
    ~23 years and five laptops. I've never owned a desktop. And whenever I do interface with a desktop, it feels strange. Mostly because of the keyboard and because most people use mice, which I absolutely, positively despise and think that the devil himself came up with the idea for. Give me a trackpad and/or (thumb manipulated)trackball any day of the week.

4. Collapse Details
    Desktop screenshot of my 16GB M1 Mac Mini with 1TB and 43" Samsung 4K UHD HDR display.
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...68d1f08a_o.png

M1 Mac Mini Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/605495697014350
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

5. Collapse Details
    I'm still figuring things out with my mini. I ended up going with the BenQ PD3200 32" monitor 4k for $700. With the extra real estate I've been able to edit with one monitor. It was well worth it. I like their hockey puck controller because it allows me to switch between my old mac until I finally get settled. I bought Affinity Photo in an effort to transition away from Adobe subscription. I'm trying to also learn to use DAW for audio project.

6. Collapse Details
    How are you liking the mini, Peter?

7. Collapse Details
    It's great. Funny thing when there are no problems you quickly settle in, concentrate on work and don't think about the computer. I haven't timed my exports. It seem good but I'm not doing back flips. I'm just happy I can move effortlessly through the timeline without it bogging down dropping frames. There's no loud fan noise. Only downside in winter I've now lost my space heater. I still wonder if I should have gotten 2tb internal, yes outrageous spending $800 to upgrade from 256 to 2tb, instead I used $400 toward a great monitor.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 01-22-2021 at 08:19 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    . I still wonder if I should have gotten 2tb internal, yes outrageous spending $800 to upgrade from 256 to 2tb, instead I used $400 toward a great monitor.
    I'm considering getting a 16" MBP when it comes out and have been pondering which SSD to choose. I currently have the 512GB which is often enough but necessitates more footage juggling than I'd like. So I'm thinking 1TB.

One interesting thing about the storage costs is that the internal SSD prices are more or less on par with a standalone external pcie ssd and clock in at a faster speed, as I learned from the pcie ssd thread. So, if one is considering adding such an external drive later, one may be better off with a larger internal.
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    if one is considering adding such an external drive later, one may be better off with a larger internal.
    Yes and you'll get faster speed as well internal... though for most use cases it's likely more of a theoretical advantage at least as of today. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I still wonder if I should have gotten 2tb internal, yes outrageous spending $800 to upgrade from 256 to 2tb, instead I used $400 toward a great monitor.
    SSD nand prices will continue to decline over time. For $800, you are probably better off just selling the current system to buy an entire next gen Mac Mini in 2 years if you don't need the extra space today... and you likely don't given you are working with simpler 1080p files.

10. Collapse Details
    4k and ProRes can make short work of a drive. I did a multicam project that was 30 minutes long, 3 cameras (2x 1080p and 1x 4k.) I didn't realize optimize multiclip and auto render was on. Just the render and optimized files took up 500gb, just imagine if the project was a hour and all the cameras were 4k. 2tb internal would be a nice luxury.

Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast