Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980818283 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Makes sense...but if you're shopping at B&H keep in mind not to only look at the Thunderbolt 3 section if you're open to using Displayport/USB-C options and/or adapters which would save you hundreds (like TB <--> HDMI).
    Good idea. I'll check that out

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I need thunderbolt to connect it to Mac M1. The mini does have an HDMI port, but I plan to use that for a tv to view full-screen output while editing.

I am in the same position, I order the Apple accessory a Thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter to connect to my thunderbolt RAID and Thunderbolt monitor. I will use the HDMI output to connect to a second monitor.

Speaking to a friend yesterday, who knows a friend a developer for a relatively well-known product. He was told hold off on buying for as long as you can. You ain't seen nothing yet regarding what's coming down the line.

3. Collapse Details
    you start piecing together the signals and it's hard to shake the idea that the x86/PC era is going to rapidly come to a close and Apple in particular is uniquely positioned to capitalize on it. for last few years hackers have basically cracked the core security architecture of Intel PCs: things like Meltdown, Spectre, Rowhammer are nation/megacorp level efforts and the decisions by Intel and others many years ago have created vulnerabilities for IT of large corporations & governments - all the way down to hundreds of millions of consumer PCs - that is probably a lot worse than people realize.

given the recent SolarWinds hacks, I would bet that preparation for Russia/China/friends to have the ability to wipe out a gigantic portion of this infrastructure if they saw fit; is largely complete (at least the kind of level we really haven't seen from a focused set of actors with motivations beyond making quick cash). apple moves to ditch intel entirely onto making as many of their chips that they can themselves. makes sense on a lot of levels for them regardless, but interesting timing

intel is struggling to compete already and is only dominant in servers/hpc, they have no mobile/low power strategy. whether the hacker/vulnerability angle is as possible as I assume, organizations and individuals are probably going to decide to abandon the Micro-Intel duopoly we've seen since the early 90s (and had already been doing so separate from all this anyways) because of looming risks
    Last edited by hojomo; 01-07-2021 at 02:43 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by hojomo View Post
    you start piecing together the signals and it's hard to shake the idea that the x86/PC era is going to rapidly come to a close and Apple in particular is uniquely positioned to capitalize on it.
    AMD is not Intel and Intel problems are not AMD problems. We shall have to see if Apple can compete against AMD at the high end of the market, and if the massive installed x86/PC user and server base is willing to try something new.

I can see Apple being highly successful with consumers, but the corporate/industrial server market is something very different.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    ...but the corporate/industrial server market is something very different.
    They'll smile as temps go down.
    Last edited by stoneinapond; 01-07-2021 at 06:56 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, my M1 mac mini arrived, roughly two weeks from ordering to delivery.
    M1 with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB hard drive.

My comparisons are subjective compared to a high spec late 2014 iMac, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 4 GB Graphics card.

It kills it, much faster, I have existing projects on my Raid that I know roughly the render times and playback issues.
    Using MOTION VFX plugin 3D tracker the difference is night and day, almost perfect playback pre-render, with the iMac it was stuttering and pausing.

Other plugins in FCPX are much faster, I had some issues connecting my Promise Pegasus Raid, I had to install a driver and interestingly drop the machines security settings allowing access to the innards of the machine. It seems Apple is taking security very seriously.

Now I know a late 2014 machine is not state of the art but the speed increase is impressive, also disconcerting is the sound or lack of it. It just sits there silent and cool. I am so used to the fan noise of the intels its a bit weird. Everythign is very snappy and immediate.
    Last edited by vultch2; 01-15-2021 at 12:11 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Rumors say new macbook pros may ditch the touchbar. For all the hate it's gotten, I'm a bit bummed. I think it's a cool tool. Rumors also safe magsafe is coming back, and more ports. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

8. Collapse Details
    I haven't used the Touch Bar, but it looks like it could be useful with software and applications designed to take advantage of it. But MagSafe coming back would be HUGE.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I haven't used the Touch Bar, but it looks like it could be useful with software and applications designed to take advantage of it. But MagSafe coming back would be HUGE.
    Getting rid of MagSafe when they added USB C power was probably the single worst MBP development in many years. MagSafe is so great, it just makes so much more sense than stupid USB-C/Tbolt 3 for power.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I hope there’s an option to power it either way. At a coffee shop or public space I definitely want MagSafe; on a cramped plane where I’m sitting with no foot traffic MagSafe just constantly unplugs too easy when shuffling around.

Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980818283 ... LastLast