Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Update on my Mac M1 Mini. So far it has been great work horse. One odd odd issue the screen will randomly go black for a few seconds around 5 times a day. I've read some say this is a Big Sur issue... I'm using usb c to hdmi cable to a 4k monitor.

2. Collapse Details
    Peter, quick flashes of black intermittently, or longer black outs?

How long is your cable? Who makes the adapter? Certain adapters and/or longer cables can cause issues. Hopefully just a driver/OS issue. Sorry to hear.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Peter, quick flashes of black intermittently, or longer black outs?

How long is your cable? Who makes the adapter? Certain adapters and/or longer cables can cause issues. Hopefully just a driver/OS issue. Sorry to hear.
    Video interface is known issue with M1/Big Sur. Before buying my BenQ monitor I did a lot research to find the right cable to support 4k. It's highly rated https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_4k_hdmi.html
    The effect is like change the input on your tv, it momentarily loses signal for 2 seconds and comes back on. Its minor inconvenience but I could use the computer to record or stream anything critical.

4. Collapse Details
    M1 Mac users report excessive SSD usage, potentially affecting the component’s lifespan (9to5 Mac). I would wait to see them iron this out before I bought one. Or have any of you witnessed this yourselves?

5. Collapse Details
    I don't know how to view the drives cycles. I think it be hard to wear out a ssd before I upgrade in the next 5 years.

6. Collapse Details
    I have been through 3 different USB-C to HDMI adapters and finally got one that doesn't have any issues. While this could partially be a Big Sur bug I think some adapters are impacted by the bug worse than others.

Luckily I mainly use my MBA away from my desk so I don't use an external monitor all that much.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    M1 Mac users report excessive SSD usage, potentially affecting the component’s lifespan (9to5 Mac). I would wait to see them iron this out before I bought one. Or have any of you witnessed this yourselves?
    If you read the comments the testing for this may have been flawed and there may not be a problem at all. Just an overexciting testing tool that is not translating the results correctly.

Apple has a very long history of using flash storage and they can't possibly screw up this badly. When it comes to writing files to a drive it either has a file to write or it doesn't. A system can't just suddenly decide to write random BS to a drive thousands of times just for the heck of it.

I think we should let the details get worked out before people jump to conclusions. If it a flawed design I'm sure Apple will replace the machines affected by this. Thats part of the advantage of buying Apple. When they do have a design flaw they tend to take care of it down the road. Apple replaced the entire logic board on my 2011 17" MBP twice.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I’ve also had the aforementioned issue on a windows PC and it turned out to be the cable in my case.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    I have been through 3 different USB-C to HDMI adapters and finally got one that doesn't have any issues. While this could partially be a Big Sur bug I think some adapters are impacted by the bug worse than others.
    I discovered that was the problem. Despite the good reviews of ioGear usb-c to HDMI cable was causing the intermittent black screens. When I switched to a HDMI to HDMI cable I no longer had a problem. There are less resolution settings available but that's a better trade off to random black screens.

10. Collapse Details
    Been using the M1 Macbook Pro (8 GB RAM) with Davinci Resolve 17.1 beta for about 2 months now. I had to replace my iMac 2012's Fusion drive which dies every 4 years and didn't want to replace it anymore.

Performance is way better than my iMac 2012 (32 GB RAM, 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX). Couldn't be any happier with the performance. If this is any indicator of future performance, I will eventually get the M1 version of the iMac when it comes out .
    M1 Macbook Pro works great with the LG Ultrafine 5K display.

The biggest issue is SUPPORT for your software.

- Had to work without FilmConvert Nitrate since they didn't have support for M1 at the time but now they do. Red Giant plugins still don't work on the M1.
    - SoftRAID support is broken on the Big Sur 11.2 update. Doesn't mount any SoftRAID volumes. This is pretty much a big deal since I rely on SoftRAID. The support is not 100% even before 11.2 update.

Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast