Page 80 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I haven't used the Touch Bar, but it looks like it could be useful with software and applications designed to take advantage of it. But MagSafe coming back would be HUGE.
    Maybe it's just me but I find next to no use for the touch bar. I'd much rather have those buttons in a fixed arrangement and not shifting around on me.

Magsafe returning would be nice. But I gotta say it's nice to be able to plug in the machine on either side and it's nice to have one cable to rule them all. I can use my computer charger for my phone (android usb-c not stupid iphone lightning), my Ronin-S, my usb-c camera battery chargers...

2. Collapse Details
    Magsafe is less important when the computer lasts 18 hours and can recharge in an hour or two.

Magsafe was great at the time, when laptops lasted just a few hours, and the alternative was the barrel plug. I lost two laptops to the barrel plug: one a slow loosening over time from minor bumps, the other a catastrophic break from one mistake. I can't believe some new laptops have a barrel plug to this day.

USB-C doesn't wear out its own jack like the barrel plug and unplugs more easily, in case it gets yanked on. Most important, I can use one charger for all of my devices.

If you really, really want a magnetic plug, you can get one.

mag-usb-c.jpg

My opinion: give me 4 USB4 jacks, and I'm good. (Also, no touchbar.)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Magsafe is less important when the computer lasts 18 hours and can recharge in an hour or two.

Magsafe was great at the time, when laptops lasted just a few hours, and the alternative was the barrel plug. I lost two laptops to the barrel plug: one a slow loosening over time from minor bumps, the other a catastrophic break from one mistake. I can't believe some new laptops have a barrel plug to this day.

USB-C doesn't wear out its own jack like the barrel plug and unplugs more easily, in case it gets yanked on. Most important, I can use one charger for all of my devices.

If you really, really want a magnetic plug, you can get one.

mag-usb-c.jpg

My opinion: give me 4 USB4 jacks, and I'm good. (Also, no touchbar.)
    That's a cool option!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I find next to no use for the touch bar. I'd much rather have those buttons in a fixed arrangement and not shifting around on me.

Magsafe returning would be nice. But I gotta say it's nice to be able to plug in the machine on either side and it's nice to have one cable to rule them all. I can use my computer charger for my phone (android usb-c not stupid iphone lightning), my Ronin-S, my usb-c camera battery chargers...
    I wish Apple would go ahead and move the iPhone over to USB-C. I have to have two separate and different cables and psu's in the bedroom, because my iPhone is Lighting and my iPad Pro is USB-C. And so much other stuff that I charge on a regular basis is USB-C, like my Tentacle Sync E's, Track E's, Ronin RS2... But I still have things that are mini and micro USB, too, so it's still going to be a while before I don't have to worry about having lots of different cables around in various places.

I will say, that I don't think it's ever been a real issue with me with the MagSafe being fixed on one side. Maybe, because I mostly use one of my older PSU's with a right angle and an adapter.

5. Collapse Details
    For magsafe - maybe the rumors are onto something, but perhaps its actually just a stock apple bundled magnetic plug as pictured there where you have the option.

For touchbar, you can lock them in place as standard F keys, so I never saw the drawback people complained about... you can have it old school too, just without the tactile feel.

6. Collapse Details

I feel the same way about the Touch Bar and another reason why I got the M1 MBA. Only Apple laptop that still has real function keys.

I view the Touch Bar as a UX fail. We get used to the position of certain keys and having a touchbar where every app can decided what those keys are creates an inconsistent user experience. Also forces users to look at the keyboard vs using it by muscle memory.

most apps can already use the function keys as they want and we are used to learning what those function keys do per app. The advantage of real function keys is we don't need to look down to hit f5. We just know where it is and if app A uses f5 for a function we know right where that is.

I also hated how the touchbar was only on laptops. If Apple wanted it to take off they needed a full-size keyboard with touchbar for the Mac Pro, iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Mini. Apple created a confusing user experience by making users get used to function keys on desktop computers and then context shift to touchbar on laptops. If the touchbar was unified it may have made a bit more sense.

To me it was just one of those things that sounded amazing on paper when an engineer came up with it but not so great in the real world. Very cool concept but also a very unnecessary concept.

There are some cool 3rd party apps that make the touchbar more useful like one that replicates the dock with all the apps so you can launch apps from the touchbar and hide the dock. Also one to swap between open apps. I think if Apple kept function keys and the touchbar more users could find better use for the touchbar for tasks like swapping between apps or hiding the dock. Let the touchbar be a cool tool vs trying to replace the function keys users want.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Exactly! Muscle memory is the ultimate telekinesis. Even a touchbar for app selection would be a downgrade for someone like me who has learned the keyboard shortcuts:

Open app: Command Space, and start typing
    Switch app: Command Tab
    Switch window: Command ~

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Wonder if the Resolve beta for M1 is getting better? Just picked up a PC laptop with a 2060 because of the lack of bootcamp support on the M1. The 2060 scores 212 with Cuda and the M1 now scores 191 on the M1. Much better than before and not far behind the 2060 on a laptop. Thats pretty darn impressive. I have the base MBA that will reduce performance to cool down and only has 7 GPU cores. So the score will likely drop over time. The MBP and Mac Mini should score just about the same now as the 2060 with help of that extra core and better cooling. This was a 4k 3:1 score I tested.

Thats not bad at all for a ultra thin laptop with a GPU that barely uses any power and can do everything off a battery. I realize the 2060 is far from the high end but its still a pretty solid GPU for a PC laptop.

3D rendering in Blender was an entirely different story. 2060 Cuda and Optix rendering was between 2x and 5x faster depending on settings. Thats compared to the CPU rendering on the M1 because Blender refuses to support Metal.

I'm still continually impressed with how good the M1 Macs are. Even my base MBA with 8GB has been a beast. Best laptop I have ever owned. Even compared to this similar priced PC its a night and day difference. The PC is bulky, clunky, loud and sad battery life under load. The M1 MBA is perfect in almost every possible way minus hardcore gaming. With the Resolve improvements now it pretty much can do anything for me.

9. Collapse Details
    Did people see the rumors that the 16" MBP will come out in Q3 2021?

10. Collapse Details
    Did people see the rumors that the 16" MBP will come out in Q3 2021?
    Yep. New iMacs look interesting too, I would dig a 32" iMac. They are rumored to have the M2 Silicon.

I really don't like laptops in general, they are nothing but a size and power compromise compared to a desktop or iMac.
    That's why I'm still rocking my 2011 MBP, all I need it for is Word and email. Editing on a laptop is an unsatisfying experience compared to my 27" iMac.
    I get it, some people HAVE to edit on the go and laptops are handy for that. But if you have a choice...
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 80 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast