Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Blackmagic Design has released a new beta of its popular DaVinci Resolve video editor and color correction tool with Apple Silicon support. This means that DaVinci Resolve will run natively on your M1-powered Mac when it arrives.
    Hmm..wow, BMD was on it. That's exciting.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Blackmagic Design has released a new beta of its popular DaVinci Resolve video editor and color correction tool with Apple Silicon support. This means that DaVinci Resolve will run natively on your M1-powered Mac when it arrives.
    Nice!!!

3. Collapse Details
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1946 View Post
    That answers the LumaFusion question I had.... looks like there will be some adjustments as iOS apps adapt to accommodating non touch devices? growing pains, but exciting

5. Collapse Details
    Can't wait to see what they do in 16" MBP, iMac, and Mac Pro.

Either way, just ordered my 5950x... had a stock alert on for a month and finally snagged one.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Can't wait to see what they do in 16" MBP, iMac, and Mac Pro.

Either way, just ordered my 5950x... had a stock alert on for a month and finally snagged one.
    The rumors are currently a M1X chip that doubles the performance cores from 4 to 8 and keeps the same 4 efficiency cores for a total of 12 cores. This makes sense since 4 low power cores are probably all that is needed for simple tasks.

What the rumors are not saying right now is what that means for the GPU. On the CPU side the M1 is already extremely impressive and matches or beats most other mobile or desktop CPUs at a fraction of the heat and power. If the 16" really does double the performance cores we are looking at a CPU score that matches the 16 core Mac Pro in a super power efficient laptop.

Its the GPU power I'm a little concerned about. Apple spanked other integrated graphics and some lower end dedicated GPUs like the 560X and the 1050 but still falls short of even the 2060. Even if they doubled the GPU performance from 8 cores to 16 cores it may still not match the performance of the 2060 which we now find on low cost PC laptops. When it comes to FCPX it likely doesn't matter much since FCPX makes extremely good use of the M1 GPU and does better than eGPUs on Intel Macs right now which is insane. On the Resolve, Adobe, 3D rendering and gaming side however I think even doubling the GPU cores will still fall short. Hopefully Apple has another trick up its sleeve for the 16" GPU.

I also heard a rumor once that they are working on a Apple Silicon dedicated GPU for the iMac. Not sure what the heck that means yet but maybe by splitting up the CPU and GPU they can make the GPU use 32 cores which would compete very well with higher end Nvidia cards. They will likely use that in the new Mac Pro as well with the added benefit of adding multiple units of that GPU to the MP.

By the way these things are selling like hotcakes. A custom M1 with 16 GB will now not ship until the end of January. Maybe that time will get better after the holidays but every single Apple store within a 400 mile radius of where I live is sold out of every single M1 Mac. Its getting very hard to get one of these things.

7. Collapse Details
    I haven't even received mini yet and I'm already thinking of limitations that bother me. Mainly how to maintain a backup archive. My current Mac Pro I have 6 internal Sata ports.
    sata 1: 1tb ssd system
    sata 2: 10tb hard drive archive
    sata 3: 10tb hard drive archive back up

For the mini I'll need either a external mirror raid or a dual drive dock. I've read drive docks have dreadful drive to drive performance like 5gbs.
    The mini only has 2 thunderbolt ports. With a monitor I'm down to 1 port. If I use an external ssd enclosure now I have no more thunderbolt ports.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-02-2020 at 09:23 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    If your work is that important that you're stressing about how you'll back everything up then I'd imagine the Mini isn't the best choice in the first place.

(Also has the two USB-A ports for consideration as well...at least something.)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I haven't even received mini yet and I'm already thinking of limitations that bother me. Mainly how to maintain a backup archive. My current Mac Pro I have 6 internal Sata ports.
    sata 1: 1tb ssd system
    sata 2: 10tb hard drive archive
    sata 3: 10tb hard drive archive back up

For the mini I'll need either a external mirror raid or a dual drive dock. I've read drive docks have dreadful drive to drive performance like 5gbs.
    The mini only has 2 thunderbolt ports. With a monitor I'm down to 1 port. If I use an external ssd enclosure now I have no more thunderbolt ports.
    Is it possible to daisy chain a monitor through a hard drive? I thought I read you could do s*%t like that now

Also - how fast do you need your archival backups to run? USB-a like NorBro said...

10. Collapse Details
    That depends on whether or not the hard drive has a TB3 passthrough on it. If so, then yes. If not, then you're stuffed.

Apple's SoC probably doesn't have enough PCIe lanes available... most likely an engineering decision driven by power consumption considerations.

Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast