Page 85 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
    This!!!

I have a ton of demo plug-ins that were not actively installed, and I have yet to find a method for easily removing them.
    I found at least a partial answer to the locations https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207264

You would make hidden folders visible and search those locations. Still a pain and should have a more well thought out method.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I found at least a partial answer to the locations
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the details in the Apple Support page don't match any of my Finder searches. Perhaps different OS? Anyway, the whole issue will become moot if the subscription model prevails (I hope not).

3. Collapse Details
    Check out CleanMyMac if interested (there's a free trial).

I'm sure there are other good ones but this one has been around forever (part of the MacPaw family).

https://cleanmymac.macpaw.com

[There's a sophisticated uninstalling section part of the software.]

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the details in the Apple Support page don't match any of my Finder searches. Perhaps different OS? Anyway, the whole issue will become moot if the subscription model prevails (I hope not).
    Hidden files/folders don't show up in Finder searches. You need to carefully navigate to those locations and between different FCP and OS versions they can be in different locations. In Big Sur latest OS at least the built in plugins are found with in the container of the Application but 3rd party plugin probably would be stored elsewhere up to the discretion of the 3rd party. Probably contacting them would give you answer you'd need.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Check out CleanMyMac if interested (there's a free trial).
    Thanks for the suggestion. Possibly my attempt to use the free trial was flawed, but I couldn't get it to work without being constantly prompted to upgrade to a paid version.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the suggestion. Possibly my attempt to use the free trial was flawed, but I couldn't get it to work without being constantly prompted to upgrade to a paid version.
    That’s actually a common and misleading tactic that they use with free or trial software. It’s free to download, install, and run, but it can’t complete any task unless you pay for it. For file recovery software that’s ok because you want to see if it can find the delete files before buying it. In this case there is no harm leaving plug-ins alone. Many of these cleaning apps make unsubstantiated claims that they’ll speed up an old computer.

7. Collapse Details
    It's SOP in the cluttered software landscape.

Likes of Adobe and Apple can afford to provide fully-functioning trials for a month, but smaller companies who make a product like the above which literally has one task - scanning and deleting - aren't in a position to let you use it for free. [Maybe one scan and deletion would be nice.]

For file recovery, it's only okay if you can see an entire preview of the recovered file (mostly applies to video clips as pictures usually have a preview).

Many years ago I paid $125 or so for some random recovery software only to learn all of the recovered files had aimless corruption (black screen).

Nevertheless...the manual method recommended above by Apple (with additional end-user exploring) solves the problem.

8. Collapse Details
    Update on my Plugin issue:
    For templates created in Motion the best place to put them is in the Movies folders. If you don't have Motion installed these folders don't exist. I was missing the final piece of the puzzle that not only do the folders need to be created they need to be assigned an extension.
    https://fcpxtemplates.com/installing-plugins-for-fcpx/
    It still ended up being a pain because after moving them out of the Application to the Movie folder I had to redo every where I used them in a project because they wouldn't relink to the new location. Going forward I now have a better understanding how custom Motion templates work with FCP.

9. Collapse Details
    You most likely know, but keep in mind you can also publish Motion templates to be used inside of FCP X (they become a part of all of FCPX's stock offerings but in your own custom category).

10. Collapse Details

Page 85 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast