1. Collapse Details
    Writing In The Era of Covid
    I am curious how my fellow writers are handling covid. Are you continuing to write as if it will be taken care of, or are you adapting your stories in order to be produced in this "new normal" (one location, minimal characters)?

Personally, I have a road trip script I've been working on since before all this started and sometimes I find myself getting discouraged to continue because I am unsure of whether it has a chance to get made in a post-covid world.
    I think it's good to have pressure on yourself. The worst crime is to get kind of really complacent. - Edgar Wright

2. Collapse Details
    You would have to make it a period piece to get it's timeline outside the pandemic. The past would be easier than the future. We'll only know how it impacts a road trip in the future when we get there. But then, a script that supposes how we are 3 years from now might be interesting.

3. Collapse Details
    Or set it in Wyoming or other locations that had minimum changes.

4. Collapse Details
    I think you are best setting it on modern times, but a fictional modern times, as if covid didn't happen.

Because if the characters are wearing covid masks for example, it's difficult to see the actors emotions, which won't be good of course. Not the past, not the future, but a fictional modern alternative with no covid. What do others think?

5. Collapse Details
    99% of specs don't get made; they serve as writing samples which, if they're good enough, get the writer in the door to pitch on open assignments. And 99% of the specs that do get made, only do so after being rewritten by someone other than the original writer. So write something you're passionate about or at least something you think will showcase your talent well. But preferably both.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Most of ones scripts will only ever be writing samples to get you hired on to someone elses project, but
    various budget level scripts can give one more options. An interesting mumblecore budget script can get made without gatekeepers. A doable project can all of a sudden become a working/ successful actors passion project. They enlist solid allies they've met over their career and it gets made , in the process you as a writer gets exposed to other successful professionals on a closer level than thru normal agent world. Momentum can take one to some unexpected places.

7. Collapse Details
    I've thought about this. I feel like this has dominated our lives to such an extent that you can't simply just not acknowledge it. I'm at the point where (and I've seen numerous friends' jokey comments to the same effect) if I see a scene where people, unmasked, walk up and hug each other, I say "NO! THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE! FAKE!" It's almost like the only reason anything has any forgiveness in that area is because it's in another time period, or universe, is part of some preexisting series, or because we knew it was filmed/written a while ago. But new productions coming out? It's gonna be weird to just ignore it. Maybe there'll be a glut of new screenwriting books where one of the rules is "COVID exists. Deal with it."

8. Collapse Details
    Depends on where you are in the country. I’ve watched many interactions like you describe without masks in my area daily. In N.Y. yeah, not gonna happen but in Wyoming I wouldn’t think twice about watching it.

9. Collapse Details
    Houston. So..yeah.