Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    AMC Says ‘Almost All’ U.S. Theaters Will Reopen in July
    Exclamation
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/b...reopening.html

"In just three weeks, Hollywood is scheduled to restart its supply pipeline of new films.
    “Unhinged,” a $33 million Russell Crowe thriller, will arrive in theaters on July 1, followed in mid-July by Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet,” a $200 million-plus mind bender.

The question, however, is whether people — even while watching movies in well-sanitized theaters with limited capacity — will feel safe from the coronavirus, the spread of which rose to a worldwide high on Sunday, as measured by new cases.

Some states are requiring cinemas to limit capacity to 25 percent, at least initially.
    Groups will be seated at least six feet apart in a “checkerboard” style.
    Some cinemas may designate arrival times for ticket buyers to reduce last-minute crowding at concession counters.
    More theaters will allow patrons to order concessions with their phones.
    Seats will be sanitized before each showtime; California officials asked theater owners to consider using disposable seat covers.

Theater employees will be required to wear masks. Moviegoers may only be encouraged to wear them."

I know there's the whole "Is the 'theater experience worth it?" question debated extensively here.
    But, would you go?

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah I wouldn't go under these circumstances. Doesn't seem worth it when you can rent new releases online for a similar price.

the better question is if teenagers will go, and I bet they will since they're less risk-averse and also personally invulnerable to the virus

3. Collapse Details
    As much as I love going to the movies, I won't be the guinea pig. I'm going to wait several months before I go. Probably won't go into a movie theater until 2021. Why risk it? A friend of mine died of Covid-19, two were hospitalized and in critical condition, and a bunch more (my brother included) were very sick but well enough to ride it out at home.

Movies can wait.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    I'd go for Tenet...Not much else coming up. But I live in an area with no current cases.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    I'm not so much worried about catching CV at the theater as I'm not going to put up with those restrictions. I have a certain seat, give or take a spot or two, where I'm going to/want to sit and masks and eating popcorn and drinking don't mix. Kind of like this stupidity of some places saying if you eat inside at a restaurant you have to wear a mask, except when you're eating... Guess what dumb @$$es, I'm constantly drinking and eating when I'm in a restaurant and I'm not going to take a mask off and put it back on after every sip of my drink. I'll tolerate some of this dog & pony crap on jobs because I'm getting paid, but not the other way around. I'll continue to watch movies at home on my 120" 4K projector with 5.1 surround sound. And my popcorn is always fresh and I'm never out of what I want to drink.

6. Collapse Details
    I've never been an early adopter. I'll continue that mode for the virus.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    The trailer comments for Tennet mention how people will be walking backward out of the theater. If walking backward reverses time, they can also undo the Corona they got while watching it.

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    People might go to a sporting event despite Covid related inconveniences but movie theaters will struggle. They were facing competition from the streaming services before but Covid probably killed them off for good.

PS. Technically speaking, they could place plastic dividers on the backs of the seats and hand rests, while pumping ozone into the screening room. It'll minimize the risks of transmission but most states won't allow such arrangements.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    People might go to a sporting event despite Covid related inconveniences but movie theaters will struggle. They were facing competition from the streaming services before but Covid probably killed them off for good.

PS. Technically speaking, they could place plastic dividers on the backs of the seats and hand rests, while pumping ozone into the screening room. It'll minimize the risks of transmission but most states won't allow such arrangements.
    It was announced today that NASCAR will slowly open back up to (a VERY limited number of) fans in the stands starting this Sunday in Homestead(up to 1K military personnel) and then next weekend in Talladega(up to 5K fans). But none tonight in Martinsville.

10. Collapse Details
    This is a purely economic move (obviously). Nothing has changed with the virus, and with all the protests and the economy restarting, it’s likely we will have never flattened the curve; only delayed the spike.

As much as I want to see Tenent, I’ll be watching it when it’s available at home.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast