Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post

I would love to quit coffee and plan to. Before I had kids, I drank it rarely and had a very low tolerance. Now, I drink way too much. Also an addictive substance but probably not as bad, plus less risk of immediate harm caused
    Five months ago I had a transient stroke where one eye went black for a few minutes. A month ago it happened again, in the other eye. Both times I was drinking really strong espresso in the morning and my doctor said it could have precipitated it, as caffeine constricts blood vessels in the brain, and espresso beans especially deliver a concentrated dose very quickly. Since then I've been drinking decaf. Other than a mild headache the next day, it hasn't been too hard.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    The problem with the streaming services now is that they have no choice either. AT&T just has to go fully into it. At some point, there'll be mergers because the market isn't likely to absorb a dozen streaming "majors".

As to the subscriptions - "six months for $70" will need approximately three million fresh signups to cover the cost of a major release, as there's still significant marketing advertising expense, albeit much smaller than for a wide theatrical run.

Just sizing the business up, there will be Netflix that everyone will have and then 3-5 of the rest, with significant amount of flipping. Some streamers will be more like "TV online", others will concentrate on features, some on bigger budgets, some on more moderate. It's a really a wild race now, with the theater chains in dire straits ... much like Nikon.

3. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't mind banning it altogether
    America tried that already during the Prohibition Era, and that turned out very very very badly. Let's never do that again. (except we are.... with the so called "War on Drugs")
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Five months ago I had a transient stroke where one eye went black for a few minutes. A month ago it happened again, in the other eye. Both times I was drinking really strong espresso in the morning and my doctor said it could have precipitated it, as caffeine constricts blood vessels in the brain, and espresso beans especially deliver a concentrated dose very quickly. Since then I've been drinking decaf. Other than a mild headache the next day, it hasn't been too hard.
    ***YIKES! Are you doing ok now, man? That's scary as hell. I think heavy caffeine usage may impact fertility as well, or so I've heard. I would like to be substance-free, and caffeine is the only drug that I use now. But I use it way too much...

It's interesting - studies of centenarians have shown that a lot of them have a vice or two - but the key is that they consume in moderation. Typically, it'll be a glass of bourbon every night or a scoop of ice cream with dinner, and they do it routinely and never overconsume. I think that what's happening is that at low doses, these toxic substances are a net positive because the benefits of stress reduction that they provide outstrip the harm of the toxins. But once your consumption level rises, your tolerance goes up, and you consume exponentially more toxins to get the same benefit (or maybe you don't even get the benefit anymore)

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    America tried that already during the Prohibition Era, and that turned out very very very badly. Let's never do that again. (except we are.... with the so called "War on Drugs")
    I didn't say that we SHOULD or COULD do it....just that I've seen a lot of harm come from the damn thing

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Quite... banning alcohol, just like banning sex before marriage, has never worked anywhere in the world. Ever.
    The same with any form of drugs.
    The best you can do is education on drugs (from Heroin via alcohol to coffee ) and contraception & sexual health. All in a non judgmental way.
    BTW as shown in many countries the more sex education and contraception the lower the rate of abortions.

Before anyone mentions firearms... It is not the number of firearms in a country but the "gun culture". Banning or controlling guns won't do much of itself. Changing the culture well that takes generations, requires education and a cultural shift of the vast majority of a population.

7. Collapse Details
    https://www.engadget.com/hbo-max-vs-...052202138.html

Christopher Nolan is not happy. And the financial arrangements are a tangled web. (though, as I had speculated, the talent from WW1984 did get some extra coin)

8. Collapse Details
    So you can be mad about sending your movie to streaming and get a little money from it, or you can sit on it for an unknown amount of time and release to theaters to get more money. And that presumes there will be any theaters left after the numerous lock downs, and also presumes that people will even be willing to go to a theater after this mess.

How much does it cost if you sit on a finished movie for 2 years just to wait until theaters open again? I assume that each days the loans gather interest, or the people that funded the project with their cash want their promised return.

And then again, it also presumes that the studios are actually making products that people want to watch. There has been very little that has pulled me to the theaters in the last 15 years, and some of those were not mainstream enough to be shown near me and I had to stream them or buy a disk.

9. Collapse Details
    ***YIKES! Are you doing ok now, man? That's scary as hell. I think heavy caffeine usage may impact fertility as well, or so I've heard. I would like to be substance-free, and caffeine is the only drug that I use now. But I use it way too much...
    I'm fine. I've lost no function. The diagnosis of a transient stroke is a best guess, as there was no evidence of a clot in either eye. One interesting side effect of going off caffeine is that I had a clicking jaw which has completely gone away. I really haven't noticed a difference in my energy level, but before I could have had a full cup of coffee and gone right to bed so I think I had a pretty high tolerance for it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    So you can be mad about sending your movie to streaming and get a little money from it, or you can sit on it for an unknown amount of time and release to theaters to get more money. And that presumes there will be any theaters left after the numerous lock downs, and also presumes that people will even be willing to go to a theater after this mess.

How much does it cost if you sit on a finished movie for 2 years just to wait until theaters open again? I assume that each days the loans gather interest, or the people that funded the project with their cash want their promised return.

And then again, it also presumes that the studios are actually making products that people want to watch. There has been very little that has pulled me to the theaters in the last 15 years, and some of those were not mainstream enough to be shown near me and I had to stream them or buy a disk.
    The problem for 2020-21 lies in the studio-distributor contracts for the already completed projects. Where Nolan may be correct is that studios are indeed using these new releases as loss leaders in order to up their subscription numbers. Which wasn't in the original plans and can be construed as a gigantic accounting run-around. And any perceived financial noncompliance would, obviously, result in a string of law suits taking years to settle.

PS. The loans are on the books of the production companies. Some have the outside investors; others may share risks with the studios themselves (most actually do). And now, you're talking the exposure and the rest of the two hundred page contracts.

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast