1. Collapse Details
    SMM z6 - vs the handycam!
    So my 'covid camera' thread I wanted a little camera to walk around with
    see in the sun
    zoom from 24 to 200 or more (ff exiv)
    audio
    AF
    nd
    small enough to walk with (take the the park with the Mrs)
    all on a budget.

anyway I ended up deciding on a canon XF400, then seeing a cheap used Nikon Z50 I chose that. Then I saw that a 16-nn DX (S35) lens was more expensive than a 24-xx FX lens (FF35) by a chunk then the price from a Z50 to a Z6 was rather minimalised.

So I bought a z6 and adapter.

This is a different route to the Z6 - which I have probably rejected in the past when looking at it as an FS7 beater. Wearing that hat I feel the Z6 and raw is a bit of a mess - it is not an F7/9 Canon 300iii beater. But as I 'handy cam' with bonuses its come out on top (to a nikonite with 50 nikkor lenses who has owned nikons since the 301, nikkormat F3, Fm2, F4, F5, D1, D3, D70, D80, D90 D600 - I kept the 600 and D3)

==

So first of all NO ND - yes this is bad and beaten by the R mount canon and most Handycams. I can get an exposure at F11,100iso100 shutter - not great.

EVF - this is bigger and clearer than most handycams and not properly sealed from the sun.. like most handycams (but unlike the C200 alexa and other big cameras)

It includes a whole decent stills camera!

Lenses are removable (unlike handy cams) offereing everything from walkabout 28-300 through to hard core 'cine' lenses like my manual 1.8 50 nikkor

A 28-300 lens is similar in range to a handycam, 24-70 or 24-100 offereing a more solid experience - good one lens all day options

3 rings on the lens (unlike most small handy cams)

Flap out screen for gutcam, not proerly viable in the sun - like handy cams

8 bit 100 codec - like most handycams

Optional plug in 10bit - unlike most handycams

No XLR - but at least a mic input and HF jack - a big win for handycams

Camera and FTZ adapter = 2 screws = solid on tripod plate (unlike handycam)

Cage with top screws available (unlike handycam)

I think what we see is that handycams could be a better walkaround camera than a 'DSLR'. But because they are poorly executed they are not. The nikon functions well in both handycamery and also has uses as a cinamatographers Bcam

--
    For me having the same old nikkor batteries saved $200
    For me owning a SD702 and lots of different mics seperate sound is almost simpler
    For me mixing the chargers with my stills D600 is great
    For me I might be able to bin my D600
    For me having one set of lenses saves space
    XQD cards mix with my FS7
    Will be a decent gimbal camera
    Can do 10bit in the studio (or on location at a push)
    I already have shogun for recording
    F mount fits everything
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 06-05-2020 at 11:05 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Are you keeping the camera?

Always loved Nikon colors. Underrated, IMO.

Last edited by NorBro; 06-06-2020 at 10:00 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Nice image

Ill keep it.

Ive got it on flat profile and the colour is not amazing - mybe I should ramp it to wysywig.

Overall it may see the 'rebirth' of SMM the (photo) journalist just due to its portability.

Nick (my chum) and I both started on nikon in the late 80s, both have hated the owning Gh4 and sony A7 line (not as owners) , and both get along with the Z6, we are not sure if we are both biased or it is just better than the GH4.

4. Collapse Details
    Thank you. In the video above, I used "Neutral" and added saturation and contrast in post.

I feel like "Flat" is too muted. With these 8-bit low data-rate cameras, I really try to paint by letting the sensor do most of the work.

5. Collapse Details
    My nikons (D3 D600) for raw still are set to neutral - I guess Ill try that with video too.

6. Collapse Details
    I have mine set to flat and am pretty amazed at how good it looks straight out of camera. All my Nikons have been set to neutral for stills. I should give neutral a try for video. I definitely prefer the colour to that of my FS5.

7. Collapse Details
    I had been shooting RAW for some time, but have left the Picture Style set to Standard or Landscape, for the most part. Once I saw this technique, I decided to change my picture style on my camera to Neutral (for Canon cameras) or Flat (on newer Nikons).